Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Signing a good forward in January will be tricky if we're anywhere near the bottom, which you have to think is likely.

We are one win off being 8th. Calm down 🙄

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst we didn’t play well I saw an amazing amount of fight from the players. Especially with 10 men.  To play most of second half with 10 men and overturn a 1-0 deficit shows tremendous character. 

Surely we should be taking heart from that. 

i actually thought we played better with 10 men than the rest of the game. a big factor in that was davis coming on. really hoping smith now realises 2 strikers as a viable option in future games. you cannot hide from the fact that our only real goalscoring chance came in the 96 minute however, and that is what i am concerned about. bournemouth was similar. we will not stay in this league by creating only 1 or 2 real chances per game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i actually thought we played better with 10 men than the rest of the game. a big factor in that was davis coming on. really hoping smith now realises 2 strikers as a viable option in future games. you cannot hide from the fact that our only real goalscoring chance came in the 96 minute however, and that is what i am concerned about. bournemouth was similar. we will not stay in this league by creating only 1 or 2 real chances per game

I agreed Davis impressed which was encouraging. He looks ready. 

Wesley had a bit of a shocker. The lack of service didn’t help but he struggled with his hold up play.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I remember us having a tough patch after Christmas last season. Everything was wrong and Deano didn't have a clue. After a while trying to get it right we won ten matches in a row.  

Now I am not saying we will repeat ten wins in a row, but you would thought it taught people some patience and that developing a team has ups and downs. 

Then again maybe not. 

The reactive nature to results will never change. That game was a draw in my eyes.  Palace away is not an easy game and we stood up to them with 10 men for most of the second half. 

What this team may lack in quality will be made up for in character and spirit. We will be fine. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agreed Davis impressed which was encouraging. He looks ready. 

Wesley had a bit of a shocker. The lack of service didn’t help but he struggled with his hold up play.

i said before on his own thread after the bournemouth game, that he will not succeed at villa as the lone striker. i just dont see how he can do it all on his own. he would thrive with a strike partner however

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i said before on his own thread after the bournemouth game, that he will not succeed at villa as the lone striker. i just dont see how he can do it all on his own. he would thrive with a strike partner however

We don't need two strikers playing, we just need to get the wingers, midfielders and full backs etc supporting the lone striker better and offering options and late runners, backup etc.

If we can get 2 or 3 (or more) players in and around the box etc then our attacking play/options would look very different.

The issue is that we currently aren't doing that consistently, for whatever reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I can’t believe that after the stick (quite rightly I must add) that previous managers have had for adopting a turgid defensive approach, people on this thread are now suggesting that if DS does not change his philosophy it ‘may be his downfall’. The lack of patience on offer is absolutely staggering.

This. It's kinda embarrassing.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

We do have Guilbert who can create a lot of width on the right by himself, but I don't think either of our left backs has the pace and stamina to do the same job on the left, without some support from a winger.

Begs the question if this is why Trezeguet gets so knackered and works so hard. Taylor isn't exactly a wing back to put it mildly. 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I wouldn't want him to go on and change his system.

That just sound desperate and panicking. Need to keep doing what he know and what's worked for him in the past. Will take time for all these players to settle.

I don't want him to change his system either.....but tweaking it away from home, might be prudent.

I am not sure we are good enough, to play the same home and away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

We don't need two strikers playing, we just need to get the wingers, midfielders and full backs etc supporting the lone striker better and offering options and late runners, backup etc.

If we can get 2 or 3 (or more) players in and around the box etc then our attacking play/options would look very different.

The issue is that we currently aren't doing that consistently, for whatever reason.

Absolutely this. He was feeding off the ghosts of scraps against Palace

Â