Dean Smith

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

with Hindsight Davis may have been better than Kjodia - however I honestly don't see the outcome being any different.

It'd have been great to have him to come on. If Davis isn't going to come on when we're hanging on to a result with 15 minutes left away from home, when is he? That's exactly the situation I'd want him in. 

I guess Smith thought it was far more likely we'd be chasing a result, which is fair enough. 

Edited by Davkaus

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Norwich were 4-0 down at half time.

We were 20 min away from beating spurs away. Tactics were spot on.

They were to a point. However once Eriksen came on we failed to adjust, it kind of fell to shit in the last 25 mins.

Having said that we may have held on if Jack hadn't **** up

• Like 2

Davis might have won a few free kicks around the box for conner to have a whack at.

If you've going to play top four you don't expect to out play them for 90mins but you can do damage with set pieces.

I don't remember hourihane having any free kicks....probably because we were dug in the trench on the 18 yard line

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

They were to a point. However once Eriksen came on we failed to adjust, it kind of fell to shit in the last 25 mins.

It was classic Villa leading against a big boy, usually Man United. Sit deeper and deeper and take a major pummeling until eventually the defense is breached.

It was a matter of when not if Spurs were to score when Eriksson came on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was classic Villa leading against a big boy, usually Man United. Sit deeper and deeper and take a major pummeling until eventually the defense is breached.

It was a matter of when not if Spurs were to score when Eriksson came on.

Yeah but equally we could have gone for the jugular like Norwich and have lost 4-1. We just aren’t as good as Spurs. 

Just now, Spoony said:

Yeah but equally we could have gone for the jugular like Norwich and have lost 4-1. We just aren’t as good as Spurs. 

Yeah I agree. Its obviously easier with hindsight,  but we didn't have any kind of outlet when Spurs went through the gears. We need to be a bit braver, and a bit more confident. It would have stretched the game and made it end to end, instead we went backs to wall and hoped we could keep them out. 

10 minutes ago, KHV said:

To be fair we brought on Kodja, they brought on Eriksen.  It shows the difference between the teams....a player that is attracting interest from Real Madrid against at best a second choice striker.  We are new to the league they are a top team.

• Like 1

I could understand the elmo inclusion. Trez and elmo probably have some telepathy from playing internationals together. I remember elmo curling one nice pass round the outside for trez to chase.

My only thinking on taylor is smith wants to give him enough rope thinking he'd have a stinker so he could fastrack Guilly in. However Taylor put a shift in today to be fair.

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

I could understand the elmo inclusion. Trez and elmo probably have some telepathy from playing internationals together. I remember elmo curling one nice pass round the outside for trez to chase.

My only thinking on taylor is smith wants to give him enough rope thinking he'd have a stinker so he could fastrack Guilly in. However Taylor put a shift in today to be fair.

You cant be serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In fairness I don’t think many managers would have started a season away from home with 3/4 of the back 4 as new boys, especially against champions league finalists. Lambs to slaughter comes to mind. Yes Fred and Matt would have given more of an outlet but not sure they would have aided us in holding the lead as long as we did. Modern full backs in every sense of the word with pure defending a definite second to their overlapping ability. Can’t say the same about Taylor in particular. Very much doubt targett and guilbert won’t see the pitch come the VP opener. Deano knows what he’s doing

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah I agree. Its obviously easier with hindsight,  but we didn't have any kind of outlet when Spurs went through the gears. We need to be a bit braver, and a bit more confident. It would have stretched the game and made it end to end, instead we went backs to wall and hoped we could keep them out. 

I agree, we should have been braver, but we were outclassed. Hard to be brave when you are under the cosh. Simple as that. We stood with them, just about, for most of the match... bravery, luck, skill and effort all have a part to play over the course of a season. If you apply the last one consistently, the others will fall into place eventually to some greater or lesser extent. We showed plenty of effort and some skill, which was rewarded with plenty of luck until the final five minutes. I'd say, we did ok given the circumstances. I'm not at all gutted. I expected us to lose. I only wanted passion, team effort and to compete. We showed that and we will get better. We are already 1 million times better than the shower of shit that went down because we care. They fought like lions out there.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

This shows why we needed another pacey winger. Once Trez/El Ghazi were done we had no outlet, it was the only sub he could make but also not a good one.

I think it will be less of a problem against the majority of teams in the league.  We have to take account of how good Spuds are.  Jota will shine against most other opponents I feel. 

16 hours ago, screwdriver said:

So Smith picked Taylor, who had a good game but rather than give Smith credit you assume he did so to make a fool out of him?

Edited by av1

Â