Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, samjp26 said:

It's a winners mentality, wanting to improve and striving for better at all times rather than taking credit for what went well. You can see the same attitude in his signings, we haven't had it for years

decade's,  john gregory's squad was most likely the last time we had such a think, thats a bloody long time to go without a club running at its potential and trying to reach ad high as they can.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

actually drooling watching this football. this pass and move is so strange to watch 😛 

So your missing Goofball then, right he wants cabbage back at the helm it seems.

Edited by Dave-R

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m so impressed by how we fielded two different teams in all 3 friendlies ( and each was swapped around aswell) and yet, on the whole, the actual football didn’t change at all.

Fantastic to see.

This is what has impressed me too. All players playing to a single system, and playing good football. Again, yes it's only walsall, but how many times have we played lower league teams in recent seasons, either in friendlies or cup games, and just looked really laboured and failed to put them away??

We did exactly what we should have tonight, played a lesser team off the pitch and scored goals in the process.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

This is what has impressed me too. All players playing to a single system, and playing good football. Again, yes it's only walsall, but how many times have we played lower league teams in recent seasons, either in friendlies or cup games, and just looked really laboured and failed to put them away??

We did exactly what we should have tonight, played a lesser team off the pitch and scored goals in the process.

I hear you we've had so much trouble with lower league teams in the past that you could really see where we belonged at that time in terms of playing football. Its taken us a very long time to get to this point but were here now and were on our way to what could be a very good season in the prem.

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think we won most pre season games in the season we went down.

So let's not get too carried away.

I’m not sure we did. I remember being at Walsall away, and thinking how terrible we were. My grandad called it then that we were going down. Ever the optimist! 🤣

• Like 1

It's not even about results. If we lost 1-0 and our 5 goals happened to hit the post, it would've still been a superb performance with great football. Playing like this we'll create chances against 95% of teams, and likely score. 

It's glorious to watch when we're on it. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

No we didn't. From the fountain of knowledge that is Wikipedia... :

11 July 2015 Training match    Fulham    3–1    Aston Villa    Albufeira, Portugal
17 July 2015 Training match    Braga    0–0    Aston Villa    Albufeira, Portugal
21 July 2015 Friendly    Swindon Town    0–2    Aston Villa    Swindon
22 July 2015 Friendly    Forest Green Rovers    0–3    Aston Villa XI    Nailsworth
25 July 2015 Friendly    Walsall    1–1    Aston Villa    Walsall
28 July 2015 Friendly    Wolverhampton Wanderers    2–2    Aston Villa    Wolverhampton
29 July 2015 Friendly    Tamworth    3–0    Aston Villa XI    Tamworth
1 August 2015 Friendly    Nottingham Forest    3–3    Aston Villa    Nottingham

That includes reserves as well. We beat Swindon Town and Forest Green Rovers, that's it. 

Yes it was only Walsall, but it was still nice to see. Leipzig will be the main test pre-season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I’m not sure anyone is excited because we Won.

Ive been going to pre Season friendlies longer than I care to remember, and I’ve never seen anything like the cohesion and understanding I’ve seen this season.

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m not sure anyone is excited because we Won.

Ive been going to pre Season friendlies longer than I care to remember, and I’ve never seen anything like the cohesion and understanding I’ve seen this season.

We've looked good. Although our opposition has been a joke so far in terms of quality.

Can't wait for the Leipzig games, playing against an actual team.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what’s the most transfers Smith is done in one window, and how his team did after that? 

Everyone knows that integrating so many new players is a risk (yes we had to do it), but smith seems very good at doing this.

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Does anyone know what’s the most transfers Smith is done in one window, and how his team did after that? 

Everyone knows that integrating so many new players is a risk (yes we had to do it), but smith seems very good at doing this.

Without going in to too much detail, and stuicking to players I actually know, in Smith's time at Brentford (some might have been the summer before) they sold:

2015/16:

• Andre Gray
  • Moses Odubajo
  • Tarkowski
  • Stuart Dalls
  • Will Grigg

2016/17:

• Hogan

2017/18

• Jota
  • Colin
  • Vibe
  • Harlee Dean

2018/19

• Ryan Woods
  • John Egan
  • Bjelland

Considering these were all important 1st team players at the time (corrections incoming from @jonjon and @Brentfordnylons), I'm not too worried about Dean having to integrate players from a window or two of high turnover.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It must feel like Christmas every day for him at the moment. 

His Christmas present being an expensive but high quality jigsaw. The football world will be watching whether he can fit the pieces together.

Comment from a different Brentford fan.   WTF

in my experience he generally doesn't connect well with fanbases. He's doesn't really inspire, he's kind of beige, and he clings to the script like a Titanic survivor when the chips are down.

Edited by SirSteveUK

Â