Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I thought he was tactically outthought last night. Albion pressed is very well, but cut out a lot of then niggly fouls on the halfway line. This meant that we could never get playing and also didn’t get the breather that Jack buys us. 

Still we are at Wembley and on our day we can beat anyone.. come onnnnn!! 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What a partyLove this

This team sure has something. Maybe they are just winners. God damn there they go getting my hopes up. 

Anyway credit to Smith and all the squad and staff. They all seem to have a lot of togetherness, even the bench or rotated players seem to rightly feel included in each victory. 

Happy days.

• Like 1

I was pissed off with the short corners but having cooled off, at least it showed we work on things in training specific to the opposition we are up against.  I can't think of the last time I've felt that with a manager here.  Either side will prove a totally different proposition than the flat back 6 WBA put out against us so hopefully we can have more joy in the final third.  I can't see Tammy getting bullied out of the game again in the same way for example.

• Like 3

I think the occasion and crowd got to a few last night. You have to remember quite a few of them players have never played in such a game before.

Still they tried to keep the ball and play a certain way throughout against a team who’s entire plan was men behind the ball, niggly fouls to break up play and trying to score from set pieces. 

We wernt at out best but we were easily the better team over 2 legs. 

Bring on Leeds!!

• Like 2

We were right to play short corners yesterday imo, try and open some space up. They had about 7 defenders playing, was going to be very difficult for us to win the ball from a corner whipped into the box. Apart from Mings and Tammy, we don't really have a lot of height in this team.

• Like 1

It is a concern that we struggled for clear cut chances throughout despite the possession, last night. Not sure, what Smith can tell them to do different to change that.

We've obviously managed it in plenty of other games recently, but when we have, it has typically been against lesser opposition who to some extent 'let us play'.

The new found spirit we now have might just be enough anyway, irrespective of performance. You can tell Smith wasn't entirely happy last night because he doesn't want us to just squeak through. 

Happy Days!

Part of the reason why we struggled to play against West Brom was because their whole game plan was to prevent us from playing whilst trying to score from set pieces. I thought they were pathetic over the two legs. If i was a baggies fan I'd be embarrassed by how they've approached the last 2 games, was Steve Bruce-esque.

So glad we have a manager who plays on the front foot every game. Breath of fresh air.

• Like 4

In Dean we trust, an I wasn't  saying this 6 months ago. 2 stand out negatives for me last night though. If we couldn't penetrate there defence in open play, we was never gonna do it from short corners, more chance would have been from hourihian set piece corners whipped in, think we might have sneaked one in. Also, why do managers think over 70 minutes is the time to bring on a sub?? If it ain't working, bring emm on in the first half, if not 60 minutes would have been better. It's hard to make an impact with 15 minutes to go.

22 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Part of the reason why we struggled to play against West Brom was because their whole game plan was to prevent us from playing whilst trying to score from set pieces. I thought they were pathetic over the two legs. If i was a baggies fan I'd be embarrassed by how they've approached the last 2 games, was Steve Bruce-esque.

So glad we have a manager who plays on the front foot every game. Breath of fresh air.

Same way we got past Boro last year, which is why I am enjoying this years attempt more than last year.

As Grealish said Last years team had a lot more experience but I just believe more in this years team

9 hours ago, Daweii said:

We were trying too hard especially with the corners. We had 15 corners and I believe 12 of them were played short. How often in a game do clubs see a corner pinball off several players and somehow wind up in the net? It happens quite a lot and we had 15 chances to make that happen tonight, but didn't take most of them.

Extremely rarely. On average a goal is scored somewhere around 3% of the time from a corner. Note that isn't direct from the corner, but from the same passage of play. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the occasion and crowd got to a few last night. You have to remember quite a few of them players have never played in such a game before.

Still they tried to keep the ball and play a certain way throughout against a team who’s entire plan was men behind the ball, niggly fouls to break up play and trying to score from set pieces. 

We wernt at out best but we were easily the better team over 2 legs. 

Bring on Leeds!!

I'll be honest I didn't think it was as hostile as it was going to be. The game at Leeds was a lot mor ehostile than last night

We tried to play football, we couldn't play through balls behind they where to deep,  and crosses into the box where headed away from the 7 defenders on the pitch , they have reverted back to pullis ball might aswell bring him back buy chester and play him at left back.  

44 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

It is a concern that we struggled for clear cut chances throughout despite the possession, last night. Not sure, what Smith can tell them to do different to change that.

We've obviously managed it in plenty of other games recently, but when we have, it has typically been against lesser opposition who to some extent 'let us play'.

The new found spirit we now have might just be enough anyway, irrespective of performance. You can tell Smith wasn't entirely happy last night because he doesn't want us to just squeak through. 

Happy Days!

It's hard to find 3 more different systems than those employed by Derby, Boro and Bristol. 

I think people are overthinking this and not giving enough credit to the opposition. Albion's defence last night were absolutely sensational to be honest with you. Yes we lacked that bit of sharpness in the final third, I thought we actually missed Whelan this time to help recycle the ball a bit quicker from side to side as well as dropping in to combat the press, but ultimately it was Albion's incredible resolve which almost saw them through. 

Neither Leeds nor Derby will play anything like that. They don't know how to. So I'm not sure what lessons we can take from it other than thank Christ we've a nice long rest ahead of us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I thought he was tactically outthought last night. Albion pressed is very well, but cut out a lot of then niggly fouls on the halfway line. This meant that we could never get playing and also didn’t get the breather that Jack buys us. 

Still we are at Wembley and on our day we can beat anyone.. come onnnnn!! 

I thought in both games he played good subs, but he was tactically out thought over the two legs.

Then again, it's hard to break down a team that puts 11 men behind the ball for 210 minutes of football.

Still, much credit to him - one more good game please!

Edited by Mic09

My main criticism was not bringing Kodjia and Davis on much sooner. Kodjia at half time even and the pair as soon as they went down to 10 men. Kodjia is exactly the type of player you want in that situation, the wild card and as soon as Davis came on the ball began to stick. 

I'd want to see Deano more proactive in the final. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I think the celebrations were way over the top for my liking.

It's not even the final yet and they are celebrating like they got promoted already. 

It won't mean f-all two weeks from today. Let them enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Â