Dean Smith

Demitri_C

So impressed with the last two games. We've shown we can do it with Grealish, but we had yet to be properly tested. First we go 1-0 down and down to 10 men and come back to win. Then today, we're without two of our most crucial players in Grealish and Mings and not only win, but play quite well too.

This is a team that at the moment has simply forgotten how to do anything but win.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Thankfully he's a Villan himself. And we will be able to pay his wages.

Wonder what kind of interest he'll attract, if any, if he succeeds in what a champions league winning manager, likewise a promotion guru, failed to do?

I know he left brentford for Villa but you could put that down to a fan being in love with a club where he's always had a dream of Coaching at right??

I think If offers came in for him to leave Villa for let's say a top ten club, I think Smith would choose Villa still and decline those offers.

Smith has to get us promoted and I feel that his job is far from done to secure interest of other clubs first. Smith will have to show that he can hang with the top half in the premier at least, if he can maintain a healthy position in the premiere it will do wonder for him if our Owners ever get rid of him.

If anything I am curious more than anything in finding out if Smith could be a game changer for English Coaches/managers in the game. If anything if I was Smith that alone would want to drive me because there aren't so many up the top anymore are there who are English managers or Coaches.

Edited by Dave-R

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair I think Eddie Howe is the benchmark for this and miles ahead of any English manager. What he has done and is still doing with such a small club as Bournemouth is miraculous. 

Yes he's done good but I don't think it's as good as you say or as good as some make out. Bournemouth this season has lost more than they have won. I don't think Bournmouth is as small as what people think it is, back in the day a decade or more ago when city were towns but are now city's, times change for clubs as well and they get bigger. Look at wolves once a town back in the 90s, now a city,  it's club has gotten bigger over the past decade or so and has done wonders in the premier so far. Small clubs are competing against the big clubs, a shift in tactics and a change in gameplay has been key to many of these once small now big clubs becoming more successful. 

I think though that if Bournemouth and it's owners want more, that they may indeed after this long of mid table finishes may need to move on from Howe, either that or see what happens with time and patience. 

2016 managed 16th with 11 wins 9 draws and 18 losses.

2017 managed 9th with 12 wins, 12 draws and 16 losses.

2018 managed 12th with 11 wins, 11 draws and 16 losses.

2019 and bournmouth again are looking set for a mid table finish  with so far a 12-5-17 win,draw, loss record.

If Smith can achieve better than this if we get promoted then that benchmark you say Howe has achieved will surely become replaced by Smith. It is certainly an achievable task for Smith. Smith so far seems to have alot of our own fans baffled this season as is. When we went on what others called a bad run (even though many were draws and a few losses) people thought that was it for him, he then starts another run of wins off. I think as smart as they come Smith is more than capable of making it big with Villa in the premier and I'm probably getting ahead of myself here but I think he will do better than Howe has with Bournemouth.

To me will tell.

You don't set up a tactical and coaching methodology overnight. It was always going to take months and years to bed down across the club. We have started to see the benefits of this philosophy and it should only get better with time. 

• Like 2

So much to be happy with and impressed by at the moment but the one thing that really stands out for me is our approach to seeing out a game. Gone is the overly cautious slow retreat to our 18 yd box line that invites pressure and inevitable equalisers. In its place we're seeing the kind of philosophy that makes it impossible to concede i.e. attack, attack, attack!

Even against Rotherham with 10 men we were up in their box in the 96th min. The same yesterday too. Absolutely loved the McGinn moment where everyone thought he was running down the clock in the corner and then jinked through their 2 players only to be denied by another fantastic save.

It would be easy to underestimate how much of a threat Bristol City carried. There were moments in the game where they looked extremely dangerous. It was down to our unrelenting ability to take the game to them that kept that at bay. Smith's approach can only be applauded. It's not only winning football but entertaining football too. Long may it continue.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's starting to feel like players can come in and out of the team (for various reasons) without it disrupting our energy levels or overall structure. 

It's easy to see things like this when you've won 8 on the bounce but are we starting to see that structure and continuity that we've been crying out for for so long in the club? 

Agreed, with Bruce you always felt that if even one component had to come out it was going to be an absolute shitshow and turn into 11 unbalanced strangers.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The one man team accusation has gone a long way to being dismissed today. 

Over the moon

Personally I would urge caution here  - it's not so long ago that we were abject without Jack.

yes I acknowledge that currently the team is playing with confidence and momentum that will compensate for Jack not being present in the short term - but I would not want to be without him for another game.

You only have to look at how he started and finished the move for his goal on Wednesday to confirm his importance to the team. Imo

39 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Personally I would urge caution here  - it's not so long ago that we were abject without Jack.

yes I acknowledge that currently the team is playing with confidence and momentum that will compensate for Jack not being present in the short term - but I would not want to be without him for another game.

You only have to look at how he started and finished the move for his goal on Wednesday to confirm his importance to the team. Imo

Any team will miss a player of Jack’s ability. However I think that over the last few games he hasn’t been so dominant in the overall performance. Partly because he’s perhaps had a bit of a dip in form, but also because the team as a whole have improved. 

That’s not just a case of the better players improving but also some of our previously underperforming players. In particular I’m thinking of Taylor and Elmo, who plenty of posters had as MOTM on Wednesday. That’s a huge improvement from most people never wanting him to play again just a few weeks ago. 

We’ve got a proper set of coaches who are producing a proper football team. They are getting the best out of players individually and as a unit. Joyous!

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's starting to feel like players can come in and out of the team (for various reasons) without it disrupting our energy levels or overall structure. 

It's easy to see things like this when you've won 8 on the bounce but are we starting to see that structure and continuity that we've been crying out for for so long in the club? 

Since I've not been able to watch many games of late I can't really comment on how we've looked.

But as you say this is exactly what we've been crying out for for so long.

Having an actual system means that even "poorer" players and those who don't get to play as often can slot in and do a job without too much of a downgrade.

It's what makes teams like Iceland, Sweden and so on more successful than they should be.

Our lack of this has been my main gripe with previous managers.

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s so annoying that we can’t just restart the season with him. We’d win the league easily 

Not so sure we would win the league, Norwich are a very good side and are pretty close to us in points gain over the last 9 games.

But yeah I agree we would have had a chance of topping the league, and would have had an excellent chance of an automatic spot.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

There's a big difference without Grealish of course, but I was really impressed yesterday with some of the football we played, we create a shit ton of chances and really should have won by a good 3-4 goals. We were confident on the ball and aggressive and looked a lot better than Bristol City despite us missing two key players. 

I hope, for all connected with our club, that we get to the play-off final, take a full-strength squad there and we get to see a Dean Smith Villa performance. At Wembley, that would be something to see!

• Like 2

Â