Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People who say we haven't missed Tuanzebe (Or a defender of his ilk) only need to watch the highlights from yesterday.

Mings and Hause put in some absolutely brilliant passes which created goal scoring opportunities and set off quick attacks.

They might have a chance to build a partnership at the back now. I think they will be our first choice centre halves next season and we’ll sign a new left back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They might have a chance to build a partnership at the back now. I think they will be our first choice centre halves next season and we’ll sign a new left back.

Problem is they are both Left Footed.

Not ideal for a CB pairing.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon it makes that much difference? I might be wrong but I bet the majority of CB pairings are both right footers. 

It does make a bit of a difference with the natural out ball, the switch / diagonal passes, and with recovery tackles (a right-footed RCB and a left-footed LCB will tend to hook the ball out towards touch).

Mellberg (right-footed) and Laursen (left-footed) was a good example. Edit: my memory is playing tricks on me. Laursen was right-footed.

But plenty of examples of successful same-footed partnerships:

• Vidic and Ferdinand both right-footed
  • Terry and Carvalho both right-footed, but as we know, Terry was almost two-footed and usually played LCB
  • Adams and Bould both right-footed
  • Pique (right-footed) has mostly partnered other right-footers at Barcelona (Puyol, Toure, Mascherano)

I think it depends on the individual players. Some CBs have no strong preference, while others feel uncomfortable on the "wrong" side. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon it makes that much difference? I might be wrong but I bet the majority of CB pairings are both right footers. 

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It does make a bit of a difference with the natural out ball, the switch / diagonal passes, and with recovery tackles (a right-footed RCB and a left-footed LCB will tend to hook the ball out towards touch).

Mellberg (right-footed) and Laursen (left-footed) was a good example.

But plenty of examples of successful same-footed partnerships:

• Vidic and Ferdinand both right-footed
  • Terry and Carvalho both right-footed, but as we know, Terry was almost two-footed and usually played LCB
  • Adams and Bould both right-footed
  • Pique (right-footed) has mostly partnered other right-footers at Barcelona (Puyol, Toure, Mascherano)

I think it depends on the individual players. Some CBs have no strong preference, while others feel uncomfortable on the "wrong" side. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They're both left-footed so I doubt they will be our natural CB partnership. Plus, Hause is looking good at left back so Smith will probably want to keep him there. 

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I would put trust in Steer and sign a proper defensive midfielder.

Hause and Mings been good but they are loans not signings.

So you know that we could have signed Mings and Hause rather than loaning them? Can you please tell me where you got your informaion from?

Which 'proper' DMs were available and were they affordable?

DS recalled Steer and has played him in the last 2 games so I guess you can say that he trusts him! Good competition for Kalinic (or would you prefer to have Bunn as back up)?

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah it makes a difference, Smith was very keen on getting a left footed left back, and a left footed CB. If you're playing one and two touch, having to move your body round to control the ball and pass, or having to use your weaker foot makes a difference to how well you can do it.

4 hours ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

So you know that we could have signed Mings and Hause rather than loaning them? Can you please tell me where you got your informaion from?

Which 'proper' DMs were available and were they affordable?

DS recalled Steer and has played him in the last 2 games so I guess you can say that he trusts him! Good competition for Kalinic (or would you prefer to have Bunn as back up)?

don't we have an option to buy on either of them?

40 minutes ago, romavillan said:

don't we have an option to buy on either of them?

Think he have set price on Hause, but still not been able to make sense of the Mings clause 

To be clear this is just me guessing :D 

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Think he have set price on Hause, but still not been able to make sense of the Mings clause 

To be clear this is just me guessing :D 

We basically get first refusal on matching a bid from elsewhere, I think that was the general gist.

Though not sure how that works in practice, particularly if the 'other bid' came from say, Everton, or Leicester......assuming we're still in this division I doubt that matching the bid will make any jot of difference.

• Thanks 1

Would be good to get both if they stay fit. Mings might want to come after spending some time here hopefully they've sold the project to him and he'd be guaranteed to be integral to it being a success. That's attractive I spose to a degree, at least to the type of player we want to attract..

On 03/03/2019 at 08:53, Vive_La_Villa said:

How about we see where we are the end of next season? A manager completely changing the way a team plays along with the personnel needs longer than half a season before being completely written off. 

I haven’t got a problem with questioning him. It’s when he is completely written off and it’s repeated post after post is when it bugs me and makes me want to respond.

I love the I don't mind Smith being questioned then in the next sentence basically says don't question Smith posts.  They always make me giggle,  My car has just cost me a fortune at its MOT so @Vive_La_Villa I thank you for cheering me up lol

On 03/03/2019 at 09:07, tomav84 said:

nyland was costing us points on his own...it was top prority in jan. kalinic looks much more than 'bang average' and i'm sure most will agree on that. 6m on the current number 1 of the world cup runners up is far from money wasted. steer had nowt to do yesterday or vs west brom, and the one thing he had to do vs stoke he should have done better, so not sure what games of his you're watching where you've concluded he's better than kalinic.

I agree i believe there is a lot to question Smith on but the keeper is not one of them. 

Â