Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The point is he need to find a way to win football games without Grealish and Axel.

That's what good managers do, they find solutions, find a different way to win football games. And right now Smith looks out of ideas.

But you said he made too many changes when he arrived—but we were good and looked good when he arrived for a long while. So he therefore didn't make too many changes.

Then we got those injuries—it's true he hasn't been able to adapt to their absence. He hasn't got much to work with though. I can't believe he hasn't been able to magic up some decent players out of thin air.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

OGS took over a team with the best goalkeeper in last 5 years, a few World Cup and Premier League winners

Smith took over a team with Nyland, Jedinak and Whelan playing regularly

Possible the worst comparison I have seen here

Yet it continues to be used ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

OGS is there until the summer and Dean Smith is planning for the future.

You don't get a head coach with his own football style in and then tell him to go away from his methods. You adapt to the managers style or you will be shown the door.

OGS is working with the original coaches who worked with Fergie. You'll probably find they are coaching the players, while OGS is over seeing the team as the figure head. Smith has come without his coaches, which is a little worrying.

First half hour last week, Second Half this week, last Fifteen minutes against United......in each of these periods we played far better football than in the past. 

Smith has rebuilt the defence. 

Yesterday without Jack, McGinn, Axel, And Chester, we looked ok.

Sometimes in the last couple of months we’ve looked as poor as under Bruce.

I think the question is are there enough signs that under Smith things will improve, then secondly will they improve enough.

Ive seen enough to be 100% certain there is no more risk letting Smith have preseason than getting someone as yet unknown.

Ive seen enough to be mildly confident he will improve us.

Ive no idea whether they will improve enough.

Taking all that into consideration I can’t see any justification for giving him the boot, and I suspect results in the coming weeks will bear that out and remove it from discussion, thankfully.

For this season my goal is to enjoy the games and look, wherever I can, for positive signs, and to look forward to seeing what Smith brings us next season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The point is he need to find a way to win football games without Grealish and Axel.

That's what good managers do, they find solutions, find a different way to win football games. And right now Smith looks out of ideas.

He came up with a new idea yesterday and according to those who saw it we deserved to win and Butland pulled off a couple of wonder saves

• Like 2

I like Dean Smith but when he says "we can certainly take a lot of positives from the performance" then he is wrong.

We drew at Stoke with three shots on target.

It maybe arrogant of me but I rather think Aston Villa should be better than that.

He should be taking away a lot of negatives and areas he needs to improve.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I like Dean Smith but when he says "we can certainly take a lot of positives from the performance" then he is wrong.

It maybe arrogant of me but I rather think Aston Villa should be better than that.

it is quite arrogant. We might be a more high profile name but we havent finished above Stoke in the football pyramid since 2010/11 and spent 40 million in the season

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I kind of agree with this but what he says in public and what he actually thinks are not necessarily the same thing.

I do believe though that a lot of our problems are the basic acceptance of our position. We should be aiming very high and have the balls to say it. If you reach for the stars, you will fall short, but nearly reaching the stars is much better than nearly reaching the play offs. Think big, aim big and see where it takes you. We are only limited by our thoughts and dreams. We are way too guilty of being too scared to think big. 

• Like 1

It feels like every summer is an 'overhaul' summer. But the truth is, we are going to have to keep some of the mediocre players. We'll lose Tammy, El Ghazi and Tuanzebe, as well as Grealish and possibly McGinn. We'll clearly rid ourselves of some of the ageing high earners (Whelan, Jedinak, Hutton etc) as well as the likes of Richards and McCormack. My question is, aside from Grealish and McGinn, who do we really want to keep who is currently a Villa player not on loan? I'd say Green, Chester, Kodjia, maybe Hourihane and Bjarnason. But there's not many.

My point is: we might not have a tonne of money with FFP this summer, and we'll probably lose our five best performers this season. Smith needs to find a way to make it work with some of the current players. We can't sign an entirely new squad. 

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Terry Franks then?

I know there are umpteen managers I know nothing about, and whose name I have never heard mentioned. This is one of them.

28 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Having just watched the highlights from stoke, I’m confident that he will get this to work - just needs his own players 

You could say this about any manager who can't get his team winning, "ooh he just needs his own players". Well good luck in getting the players in, cause we can't spend much and the only way of getting out this league is to build close to a Premiership squad, or live in this league for 3-4 maybe 5 seasons and build each season.. Smith clearly being a Championship coach is not helping either so we'll be needing a whole lotta luck too!!!

Interesting quote from Elphick, "if we all realised aston villa being in the top 6 would be beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games"

Shows what Smith is having to deal with, this is a complete rebuild job. Pointless judging him so harshly on a group that won't be here next season. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

Interesting quote from Elphick, "if we all realised aston villa being in the top 6 would be beneficial to everyone, we will start winning games"

Shows what Smith is having to deal with, this is a complete rebuild job. Pointless judging him so harshly on a group that won't be here next season. 

What does he mean by that? Is he talking about himself there too?

48 minutes ago, TB said:

I know there are umpteen managers I know nothing about, and whose name I have never heard mentioned. This is one of them.

Ah, looks like the predictive text took over big time there - I thought I had typed in Thomas Frank, new head coach at Brentford. Hence Dean Smith 2.0. But things went seriously haywire.

No idea who Terry Franks is, either! 😜

Â