Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Eh?

As in John Terry? He is retired as a player, and is at Stamford Bridge tonight down on the touchline about 10 minutes ago all smiles and handshakes.

Shame he does not look this enthusiastic at Villa. :mellow:

That's who I thought hippo was on about with the announcement  next month.

If it is it's one of two things right?? either he's leaving for Stamford bridge and Chelsea are getting rid of there man for JT or he's coming out of retirement for us?? who knows..

I would still like to know the inner workings of his role at our club, and he's I agree more enthusiasm from him lol..

Edited by Dave-R

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

That's who I thought hippo was on about with the announcement  next month.

If it is it's one of two things right?? either he's leaving for Stamford bridge and Chelsea are getting rid of there man for JT or he's coming out of retirement for us?? who knows..

I would still like to know the inner workings of his role at our club, and he's I agree more enthusiasm from him lol..

He will not be coming out of retirement that is for sure. It would have happened long before now if he was.

I don't think Chelsea will sack Sarri for JT to replace him, but if the recent rumours are true with DS & JT then I would be suprised to see JT here after this season if DS remained in charge. All imo of course.

30 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Fulham have since as he was poor in the PL after spanking £100m..

Time will tell with Farke. (Again he has his time at Dortmund as experience)

This Dortmund thing is overplayed, sure he managed Dortmund B regional leagues nothing aboove that and never got promoted

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

He will not be coming out of retirement that is for sure. It would have happened long before now if he was.

I don't think Chelsea will sack Sarri for JT to replace him, but if the recent rumours are true with DS & JT then I would be suprised to see JT here after this season if DS remained in charge. All imo of course.

Maybe JT has learned enough from Smith to feel confident enough to go his own way and coach now, surely he will of got the jist of things by now, something sounds like its happening that's if what hippo says is true and he did mean JT.

Roll on in Summer anyway, I feel to much of a cloud is hanging over us and villa park this season and I'm trying not to blame anyone apart from the fact that this season has been absoloute ridiculous and totally crazy. I never expected us to go up or get promoted when Smith came in anyway this season so I'm not mad, upset, it was always a case of if it happens it happens this season. Next season however I would like to see a promotion charge, playoff certainly an Improvement has to be made from where we land this season that is for sure. Saying that though I am thinking about long term and how fast alot of villa fans turn on managers, I am prepared to Give Smith longer than next season. So long as he doesn't take us in a relegation battle and that there is somewhat of a gain with a fully revitalised team which wants to go and win matches, then I will feel ok about it all, I'm confident he can do it..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This Dortmund thing is overplayed, sure he managed Dortmund B regional leagues nothing aboove that and never got promoted

I get that Zat, but having the pedigree of Dortmund compared to Walsall is more of what I was referring to.

I do not for one minute think cause he has managed Dortmund B he will be something special as nor Wagner, but more pedigree to them why their clubs stuck by them.

Terry coming here seemed only a short-term thing anyway.  He is still doing his coaching qualifications isn't he?  No doubt he will manage somewhere as soon as something interesting comes up (I don't think it will be here, mind). 

If Smith gets us playing like we did when he took over once Jack and Axel are back then it'll be enough to suggest to me that the system and manager are right, it's solely about getting the right players in.  Getting the right players out doesnt seem to be an issue for once.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Terry coming here seemed only a short-term thing anyway.  He is still doing his coaching qualifications isn't he?  No doubt he will manage somewhere as soon as something interesting comes up (I don't think it will be here, mind). 

If Smith gets us playing like we did when he took over once Jack and Axel are back then it'll be enough to suggest to me that the system and manager are right, it's solely about getting the right players in.  Getting the right players out doesnt seem to be an issue for once.

I think it will come back that what we seen before the west brom game and that dodgy goal, that was some nice attacking football it was. Just a shame it won the till next season we see it I think. I know some players were struggling with it but I wished it was not abandoned entirely. I still think it should be played. I keep getting a 4-5-1 formation in my head for dominant midfield, but I think a 5-4-1 with wing backs might really sort out our leaks.

4 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think it will come back that what we seen before the west brom game and that dodgy goal, that was some nice attacking football it was. Just a shame it won the till next season we see it I think. I know some players were struggling with it but I wished it was not abandoned entirely. I still think it should be played. I keep getting a 4-5-1 formation in my head for dominant midfield, but I think a 5-4-1 with wing backs might really sort out our leaks.

I don't think wing backs will work, considering our wingers and full backs are too shit to perform their normal roles properly.  I'm sure Smith's ideal team for the remainder of the season will be

-----------------Kalinic----------------

Hutton---Chester--Mings--Hause

-------------------Axel-----------------

----------Grealish--McGinn----------

El Ghazi--Abraham---other winger

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Maybe JT has learned enough from Smith to feel confident enough to go his own way.

😂🤣😂

Or maybe JT has realised Smith is as clueless as he looked on Saturday and he could learn more from a potato.

• Haha 1

can I just see about the JT thing. I am not claiming to be itk. just on the phone in as I was going in an out a caller (no more than that) said something like the terry situation would be resolved in the next month.

it maybe nowt...i was wondering if anyone else heard the full call ???

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

can I just see about the JT thing. I am not claiming to be itk. just on the phone in as I was going in an out a caller (no more than that) said something like the terry situation would be resolved in the next month.

it maybe nowt...i was wondering if anyone else heard the full call ???

Edit: Wromg thread and risk of going off topic.

I have quoted you/this to the JT thread @hippo to where it's more appropriate.  ;)

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

What rumours? 

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Or worryingly paper over the cracks.  ^_^

I think that’s a good point Andy. I said at the weekend that in a way Jack and Tuanzebe being injured has exposed the squad for what it is, largely rubbish. Ok that hasn’t exactly been particularly useful at the moment, but at least we are under no illusions as to what faces us in the summer. I personally think that the powers that be will give Smith the summer to do the inevitable rebuild, mainly because I think the owners recognise that there is a project and hopefully did plenty of due diligence before they appointed him. On the other hand they are supposedly ambitious as well as ruthless and I doubt they will hesitate if they either decide that Smith isn’t up to it, or a better candidate is available. 

In some ways Smith has been a victim of circumstances. His dream job has come up, but it’s a massive job and he inherited a mess. He and anyone else needs time to prove they can either do it or can’t and basically, although we all have opinions, none of us really know if he can or can’t without giving him that time. Time however is a commodity in very short supply in football, particularly at high profile clubs that are basically run in a goldfish bowl. I’d like him to succeed but ultimately I’m a Villa fan and only care about the club, not individuals. So at the end of the day the owners will have a decision to make in the summer, stick or twist. If they stick and Smith does well they will be called brave and progressive. If he fails they will be naive or indecisive. Sack him and they’ll be accused of not giving him a proper chance. I don’t envy them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that’s a good point Andy. I said at the weekend that in a way Jack and Tuanzebe being injured has exposed the squad for what it is, largely rubbish. Ok that hasn’t exactly been particularly useful at the moment, but at least we are under no illusions as to what faces us in the summer. I personally think that the powers that be will give Smith the summer to do the inevitable rebuild, mainly because I think the owners recognise that there is a project and hopefully did plenty of due diligence before they appointed him. On the other hand they are supposedly ambitious as well as ruthless and I doubt they will hesitate if they either decide that Smith isn’t up to it, or a better candidate is available. 

In some ways Smith has been a victim of circumstances. His dream job has come up, but it’s a massive job and he inherited a mess. He and anyone else needs time to prove they can either do it or can’t and basically, although we all have opinions, none of us really know if he can or can’t without giving him that time. Time however is a commodity in very short supply in football, particularly at high profile clubs that are basically run in a goldfish bowl. I’d like him to succeed but ultimately I’m a Villa fan and only care about the club, not individuals. So at the end of the day the owners will have a decision to make in the summer, stick or twist. If they stick and Smith does well they will be called brave and progressive. If he fails they will be naive or indecisive. Sack him and they’ll be accused of not giving him a proper chance. I don’t envy them. 

Cracking post Dave and I can't argue with that. It's a bit of a catch twenty two situation.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

If we carry on with results like we have had....He won't be given time IMO.

Its tricky, but that's what I think will happen....Long gone are the days of Fergie and his 5 years.

Owners want to see something.

I hope Dean makes it....but he needs to show them something.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I would just like to say that Smith came in and did well for abit, went on a string of draws and people think this is it, sorry I don't agree. We think this mainly because were used to a manager or coach coming in and this routine is all we have really known for a very long time because we sack so fast. For us to break that routine were going to have to place faith in someone at some point and keep that coach or manager. Look at the amount of teams now in this league that have rocked a coach/manager for a few seasons or more, they are in fact enjoying the success of being consistent more often than what we are. We need to look at what has made these teams come from a place where they were once down and out, to the point that if a premiere team dropped down here promotion back was once pretty much a sure thing, not no longer. These clubs have made this league so successful that it's that challenging and tough that we've found out big time that our squad largely can't compete with it. A rebuild with the hopes of keeping those that need keeping will see us back competative.

We will see if we're still a selling club next season as some presume. Personally i dont think we are anymore unless it's to get rid of dead weight, to keep the stars though. I'm sure our owners will do all and everything to keep the likes of Grealish, Mcginn, Mings and even Tammy for another season next season thats if Tammy wants to stay.

As for Smith I'm confident we will see a return of his attacking football next season, with alot more youngsters and a formation that looks shockingly great to us. I think we might all be surprised next season and beyond and I for one am excited to see and think that we will have pretty much a new squad. Smith does have a tough job ahead of him, sure he and his coaching staff have yet to release there magic. The way I've seen what players have been bought in does fill me with confidence. I would however come summer see us buy from clubs first teams, not from those who havnt played football in months or years. Want to see those in forms, then again I see no reason as to why we can't do what sheffield utd did and purchase a load of clubs rejects and make a fine squad out of them.

I spose there is one good thing to loans is your not really commiting to amything solid, players who dont work out can always be sent back.

One thing I hope is that when season is over and if we can't keep Tammy for whatever reason, I hope to God that we bring to very capable strikers in who know this league. I am hoping Smith brings Maupay in, I hope he is one because he is consistent with goals, knows the league and think he would be an instant hit, maybe a loan to buy for him.  Another would be to make a play for Grabban, go back for him and buy him up. Maupay and Grabban as a partnership i feel could be exactly what we need up front. As for midfield maybe Smith can bring Sergio canos in and romain sawyers. We could purchase ryan manning age 22 who is on loan to Rotherham from qpr at the moment I believe, he's capped as well in republic of Ireland squad.

Anyway a midfield of Canos, Sawyers, Manning, Mcginn, Grealish would be very sweet i think, it's juicy. Mings, hause, Tuanzebe in defence. Kalanic in goal. And Maupay and Grabban up front..

Edited by Dave-R

Â