Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, KHV said:

They finished 5th in the championship under Warburton, they actually went backwards under Smith. 

Praise the lord ....someone else sees it.....

Smith wasnt that good at Brentford- he never got the defence sorted out there....

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Dont think that will cut it at board level - Smith has to win some games to keep his job.

Then why haven't they axed him yet?  They're sticking with him for the summer and the start of next season, at the least.

18 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Leeds, Shef U, Norwich and Derby all finished below us last year. Not that much has changed in terms of personal. We should be doing better than we are. Top 6 definitely. Point is what we are doing now is pretty irrelevant. It’s about having a manager who can deal with the whole situation. Look at/listen to Dean when he first arrived and compare it to now. He is not coping. The results are almost irrelevant. He looks totally out of his depth.

Yeah, terry, johnstone, snodgrass and grealish did **** all last year. Good point 

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Then why haven't they axed him yet?  They're sticking with him for the summer and the start of next season, at the least.

Probably. Provided he wins some games.

Ive never known a villa manager recover from a run like this though. 

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Because it looks embarrassing to have 3 managers in one season.

I think the rest of the season will be Dean Smith's audition for the job.

If it keeps going at this rate he will have a win percentage below 30, which is pathetic. Any manager with a win rate below 30 % is doing an awful job.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

So I'm willing to agree to keep him until he brings his own players in and starts winning some football games next season.

This does mean though Smith's Villa is not really worth watching until next season, as he is just closing it out until then, as results don't really matter as long as we stay in this league.

All I can say is, he better get it right in the summer if he's still here, without Grealish, Abraham,  poss McGinn too. Good luck to him, as he will need it!

Just now, foreveryoung said:

So I'm willing to agree to keep him until he brings his own players in and starts winning some football games next season.

This does mean though Smith's Villa is not really worth watching until next season, as he is just closing it out until then, as results don't really matter as long as we stay in this league.

All I can say is, he better get it right in the summer if he's still here, without Grealish, Abraham,  poss McGinn too. Good luck to him, as he will need it!

He's already brought some of "his" players in. We've only gotten worse.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KHV said:

They finished 5th in the championship under Warburton, they actually went backwards under Smith. 

In fairness, and it won’t carry much weight for his detractors, he didn’t take over from Brentford when they were fifth. He took over in December that year, at the time they were 11th.

Now ok, going from 11th to 10th...yeah big whoop. But it’s also not completely down to him that they didn’t achieve a play off position for a consecutive year.

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

So you acknowledge that Smith has taken over a team in freefall yet believe a top 6 finish should be a minimum requirement? 

You're making no sense at all. 

Compared to the team that Tony Barton inherited yes. Answer this question. What evidence is there that DS can deliver at a club like ours? Blind faith is all that you can base your support upon. I prefer facts. His record at Villa, the only big club he has ever managed, is rubbish. He does not even try to change things apart from personnel. His formation and tactics remain despite poor result 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Probably. Provided he wins some games.

Ive never known a villa manager recover from a run like this though. 

Bruce? Nine games, zero wins, two draws, seven defeats? 

Comparable bad run I would say.

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

In fairness, and it won’t carry much weight for his detractors, he didn’t take over from Brentford when they were fifth. He took over in December that year, at the time they were 11th.

Now ok, going from 11th to 10th...yeah big whoop. But it’s also not completely down to him that they didn’t achieve a play off position for a consecutive year.

or the seasons that followed 

who is it down to out of interest?

Edited by hippo

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Bruce? Nine games, zero wins, two draws, seven defeats? 

Comparable bad run I would say.

Ok ....touche.

IMO ...by Christmas smith will be gone ...It isnt going to work...the variable is the point when the villa board realise that.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, terry, johnstone, snodgrass and grealish did **** all last year. Good point 

Well never really rated Johnstone to be honest. Grealish did not play that many. Snodders and Terry did well though

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He's already brought some of "his" players in. We've only gotten worse.

You need patience chap. He needs 'all' his own players in. Not that I knew this was the plan. I thought he was brought in as an experienced coach to coach the players he already has, an to train up the younger players and bring them through to the first team, as we couldn't spend on a whole knew squad. But perhaps I was wrong!

Edited by foreveryoung

Â