Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Accepting that the five in midfield would most likely change due to opposition, injuries etc...

But to your mind who are the five in the middle? Pretend Grealish is available. Grealish, McGinn, Bree at right wing back, new defensive midfielder, new left wingback?

maybe if grealish was available, i wouldn't be suggesting it....Just about anyone we have left.

Tammy - Keinan

Elmo - McGinn- Bjarnson- Hourihane - Hutton

Hause - Chester - Elphick

Kalinic

We have to find a way to stop the rot....until we get players in.

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

You mean, you want us to play a couple of fans? Or, is that a wind up? ;)

you mean....." How do players cool down"

"Stand by the fans"

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2019 at 12:50, eholm said:

100% this. Too many players too close to or over 30. They simply do not have the legs to continue playing the way Smith wants; they managed it for a few weeks but the capability has now gone after the multiple fixtures in short space of time. We will have to wait until the Summer for Smith to get a younger more energetic core to the squad as the majority of this one, in regards to the high press/attacking style, is finished.

I think you are spot on - I think this may be a bigger factor than we think.. 

We have an older squad being asked to play in a very energeric way - they should be able to cope, but theres no stopping the decline with age, and I think they struggle with more than 1 game a week. 

The only answer at the moment is more rotation.. Try and manage the fatigue 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

This is why we are where are getting on the managers back too quickly. We have seem enough managers come and go. Farke has a difficult first season a5 Norwich( yet they stuck with him anD now look at the rewards. I believe smith can do that here if backed and w3 give him time.

I agree - the only thing I would add is this. Expectation levels are not the same at Norwich as they are here.

we are ASTON VILLA FC and rightly or wrongly some might say - we believe us to be one of this country's biggest clubs ( I believe this too)

Until we return to the premier league - then patience amongst supporters will remain very thin on the ground imo 

20 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Against Hull, the obvious would be to bring in O'Harew. I know that is an easy thing to say and the discussion been more than covered on here, but I wouldn't begrudge Grealish a move to the PL next season and he is the closest like for like. He also has obvious ability and can actually run, which so many other players find it difficult to do. I'd also recall Oscar Bog at LB, send Bolasie back and recall Green. None of these players will get us up this season, but we'll need them next season and should take advantage or our mid table mediocrity to get them up to speed. 

Smith has to pick this player... just has to. Because... you just know he's gonna score one or two... 😉

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Dave J said:

we are ASTON VILLA FC and rightly or wrongly some might say - we believe us to be one of this country's biggest clubs 

Until we return to the premier league - then patience amongst supporters will remain very thin on the ground imo 

Then maybe we deserve to stay in this god forsaken league for being such a self important bunch.

We need to get promoted on merit, hard work and doing things right, not some historic idea of being a big club that deserves to be in the PL but has done sweet nothing expect decline for the last 20 year's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I agree - the only thing I would add is this. Expectation levels are not the same at Norwich as they are here.

we are ASTON VILLA FC and rightly or wrongly some might say - we believe us to be one of this country's biggest clubs ( I believe this too)

And the smaller teams will see villa as a scalp and play like it’s an FA cup game. 

We are the new Leeds. 

58 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I do agree but it can also have a negative effect as well. Even smith has highlighted that when he said he took o hare off to relive the pressure off him. I'm not sure of the squad we have the mental strength to deal with the pressure I will be honest.

Somehow bruce maanged that last year but could not continue you it this year. Smith I hope has  a plan because I think this is a major problem at the club.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I do agree but it can also have a negative effect as well. Even smith has highlighted that when he said he took o hare off to relive the pressure off him. I'm not sure of the squad we have the mental strength to deal with the pressure I will be honest.

Somehow bruce maanged that last year but could not continue you it this year. Smith I hope has  a plan because I think this is a major problem at the club.

Confidence is rock bottom. They desperately need a win.

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

Yeah, and all Smith did was pass out the training bibs and put out the cones at Brentford...  We really don't know anything at all about what is happening behind closed doors.  For all we know, JT could be heavily involved but takes some days off, like most people do at their day jobs.  

footballers and coaches don't take their XX days annual leave the way you and i do...it doesnt work like that. the only time players and coaches would take a 'day off' is for instances where the club has legal obligation to allow it such as compassionate leave. even if unwell, i believe they have to come in and see the club doctor.

nevertheless, just because JT posts about being in dubai or out walking, doesnt mean he's only working 2 days a week - players get given days off to recover. and folks seem to forget the other insta posts of JT at reserve games on an evening so perhaps there's an arrangement there. "JT go watch the reserves tuesday and Richard can take the wednesday training session"

40 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Then maybe we deserve to stay in this god forsaken league for being such a self important bunch.

We need to get promoted on merit, hard work and doing things right, not some historic idea of being a big club that deserves to be in the PL but has done sweet nothing expect decline for the last 20 year's.

sadly, i agree. i think until we accept that we're not going anywhere.

does anyone know how leeds see themselves these days? they've been down here a while, do they still think a club of their size has a right to be in the top tier or have they accepted their place now? it's just interesting that they're now looking ready to make the step up when they've been some way off previously and i was wondering if the attitudes of the fans had changed

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

sadly, i agree. i think until we accept that we're not going anywhere.

does anyone know how leeds see themselves these days? they've been down here a while, do they still think a club of their size has a right to be in the top tier or have they accepted their place now? it's just interesting that they're now looking ready to make the step up when they've been some way off previously and i was wondering if the attitudes of the fans had changed

Not sure - but I would imagine Leeds still view themselves as a big club.

Personally I think Villa being a big club is a good thing  30k+ regularly turning up in all weathers to often watch mediocre football - IMO thats an asset in our favour - not something detrimental to our progress. 

Big clubs do get promoted out of this division - quite regularly 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

maybe if grealish was available, i wouldn't be suggesting it....Just about anyone we have left.

Tammy - Keinan

Elmo - McGinn- Bjarnson- Hourihane - Hutton

Hause - Chester - Elphick

Kalinic

We have to find a way to stop the rot....until we get players in.

I know there are really no options, but the first way to stop the rot is by not playing Hutton, Taylor and Elmo.

No matter what we try to do, having them in the team will mean that we fail.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

I know there are really no options, but the first way to stop the rot is by not playing Hutton, Taylor and Elmo.

It's not as simple as that though. We did well with them all in the team before we lost Grealish and Tuanzebe. For me we need to sort the midfield out ASAP. We can't be relying on Hourihane to unlock defenses and we can't be relying on BB or Whealan to start attacks and set the pace. We need to get back to where we were when we had everyone fit. Hourihane as the deepest midfielder was OK when we were able to dominate and punish teams but I would love it if we replaced him with someone who has pace. Actually no I take that back about Hourihane being OK—I still remember those QPR or Preston goals where he let people ghost past him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And the smaller teams will see villa as a scalp and play like it’s an FA cup game. 

We are the new Leeds. 

Then we need to be ......"Prepared".....for a battle......before, we start trying to play football.

we need to get it the right way around

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, sne said:

We don't have alternatives.....thats why i have put 5 in midfield.

taylor is the worst of a bad bunch....but none of them tackle.

If we had the right players.....i wouldn't necessarily play that way

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

you've clearly watched a lot more u23 matches than i so are in a better position to comment on the likes of ohare and borg, but green? he's proven to not be cut out for this level i'm afraid

Borg was released in summer

• Like 1

My twopenneth....

Bottom line, you'll have to go a very, very long way to find a Villa fan that doesn't want Smith to succeed. He's one of us....we would love nothing more, but equally, if we are all honest, we all felt slightly 'underwhelmed' by the appointment deep down. Take out the villa connection, and Smith has been so-so manager. Done ok at small clubs without ever over achieving. His Brentford side were ok, but the way some of our fans go on about them, you have to wonder! They never had a top 6 finish (which they had achieved previously under Mark Warburton) or an eye catching cup run...4th round FA cup and never past 1st round of League Cup under him.

It would seem that Saturday showed us that Smith could be out of his depth at Villa, and that was always the underlying fear. I don't think he is the manager to take us back to where we want to be, I really don't. We all have our own opinions, but instinct tells me he will ultimately be a glorified failure. Do we get rid now? Would be insane I guess, but ultimately, in the same way we knew we would get nowhere with Bruce, nothing has changed! 

Not having the... 'they're not his players' nonsense, even by his own admission, they are the best squad he has ever worked with. And by that logic, if a new manager cannot be expected to improve a team, what's the flamin' point getting rid of the previous manager? we may as well have kept Bruce if it's unfair to expect Dean Smith to improve players that he never bought....what a load of rubbish!

Just look up the road and see the job Gary Monk has done with someone else's squad, never mind the constraints applied since he got there. Defensively we are an utter shambles, still. Considering the reputation Richard O'Kelly came with, you have to ask what exactly he does day to day? If we don't have the players suitable to play in Smith's preferred style, then change the f####in style to suit the players that we do have for god's sake! If they are the 'top coaches' we were told they are....coach the bloody players. As for JT....no idea what he brings to the table, other than reputation. Zero impact on that squad from a defensive view. 

I have written this season off now, we have absolutely no chance of making the play offs this season. I guess Smith will get till October next season to see how we look after he has a full summer and a chance to overhaul the squad. I have a feeling we will be back to square one at that time! 

Sad times!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

My twopenneth....

Bottom line, you'll have to go a very, very long way to find a Villa fan that doesn't want Smith to succeed. He's one of us....we would love nothing more, but equally, if we are all honest, we all felt slightly 'underwhelmed' by the appointment deep down. Take out the villa connection, and Smith has been so-so manager. Done ok at small clubs without ever over achieving. His Brentford side were ok, but the way some of our fans go on about them, you have to wonder! They never had a top 6 finish (which they had achieved previously under Mark Warburton) or an eye catching cup run...4th round FA cup and never past 1st round of League Cup under him.

It would seem that Saturday showed us that Smith could be out of his depth at Villa, and that was always the underlying fear. I don't think he is the manager to take us back to where we want to be, I really don't. We all have our own opinions, but instinct tells me he will ultimately be a glorified failure. Do we get rid now? Would be insane I guess, but ultimately, in the same way we knew we would get nowhere with Bruce, nothing has changed! 

Not having the... 'they're not his players' nonsense, even by his own admission, they are the best squad he has ever worked with. And by that logic, if a new manager cannot be expected to improve a team, what's the flamin' point getting rid of the previous manager? we may as well have kept Bruce if it's unfair to expect Dean Smith to improve players that he never bought....what a load of rubbish!

Just look up the road and see the job Gary Monk has done with someone else's squad, never mind the constraints applied since he got there. Defensively we are an utter shambles, still. Considering the reputation Richard O'Kelly came with, you have to ask what exactly he does day to day? If we don't have the players suitable to play in Smith's preferred style, then change the f####in style to suit the players that we do have for god's sake! If they are the 'top coaches' we were told they are....coach the bloody players. As for JT....no idea what he brings to the table, other than reputation. Zero impact on that squad from a defensive view. 

I have written this season off now, we have absolutely no chance of making the play offs this season. I guess Smith will get till October next season to see how we look after he has a full summer and a chance to overhaul the squad. I have a feeling we will be back to square one at that time! 

Sad times!

Exactly This.

• Like 1

Â