Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I have no idea how Dean will do.....but will give him my support, like any other manager who has been appointed.

I had no idea how any of the other candidates would have faired either, just suspicions.

He has presided over an offensive style of play and I would hope a bit of that will rub off on us, but you have to be able to defend too, to get promotion.

Initially, I am looking for BMH to be energised and a sense of purpose re-appear.....I felt a sense of the inevitable had crept in like the past, that idea's and will had dried up.

Maybe too many off the field occurances had taken their toll and the disruption had caused the effervescence to disappear.

I hope the energy soon returns.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My point, if I have a point, is that it's all well and good us saying that we just need to give it time and writing off this season etc but in reality, if we do not begin to get better on the pitch (which ultimately will only really be measured by results), then it's all hot air

Ah, so we were violently agreeing :)

And, er, I agree with the quote. I feel that getting better on the pitch will involve, likely, some iffy performances and results at some point, but that people will initially give DS time, particularly if they can see something taking shape. He's gonna struggle at times because of the saboltaged defence he's been left with - there's no instant fix for that, even with JT helping. I think people on here know that and understand and while no one likes losing, with decent backing of people at the club and supporters there is at last a potential longer term evolution possible, rather than short termism dominating.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Ah, so we were violently agreeing :)

And, er, I agree with the quote. I feel that getting better on the pitch will involve, likely, some iffy performances and results at some point, but that people will initially give DS time, particularly if they can see something taking shape. He's gonna struggle at times because of the saboltaged defence he's been left with - there's no instant fix for that, even with JT helping. I think people on here know that and understand and while no one likes losing, with decent backing of people at the club and supporters there is at last a potential longer term evolution possible, rather than short termism dominating.

I think we were :)

I really hope you're right.

But I fear it won't pan out that way, maybe prior to social media and the birth of the 'modern sports fan' but not these days I fear, not for a club of our size and expectations. But I hope I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You've either misconstrued my tone or I've failed to communicate effectively, probably a bit of both. 

I have zero issue with anything you've said, I agree with it all, when we got relegated I hoped we would use it as a platform for change, even now, I'm saying we may have to even further back to go forward. I am not arguing the point with you (and I only picked up on your post as it began my train of thought, not because you posted it). 

My point, if I have a point, is that it's all well and good us saying that we just need to give it time and writing off this season etc but in reality, if we do not begin to get better on the pitch (which ultimately will only really be measured by results), then it's all hot air and 1 or 2 years from now we'll be debating the virtues of sacking versus keeping the Manager all over again. 

It was just a question, something to debate, there was no angle or agenda beyond that, believe it or not. 

The results will be a measure and indicator of the hard work put in and the methodology employed on that journey.

Winning is ephemeral and if we are going to endure and overcome the challenges ahead it is best we place our focus on something more long lasting like the process.

Success doesn't define us, we define the success.

Hot air would be what we just experienced under Xia. Not at all what blandy is suggesting we tolerate, the opposite.

Time for cohesion through a team oriented approach and philosophy and culture which has its foundation in tapping into inner resources before financial.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

Which would be equivalent to over 100 points across a full season......I hate to say it but ( in my humble opinion) Bruce has, just like last season, ruined any hopes of Automatic before October is out.

Given that, I will take signs of development of a consistent and positive playing style, plus a place in the Play Offs....for which he needs 60 more Points at 1.76

That, for me, is the target to go for and the one by which he should be judged.

Well even the clueless dinosaur Bruce has managed 1.25 pts per game so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

9 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The results will be a measure and indicator of the hard work put in and the methodology employed on that journey.

Winning is ephemeral and if we are going to endure and overcome the challenges ahead it is best we place our focus on something more long lasting like the process.

Success doesn't define us, we define the success.

Hot air would be what we just experienced under Xia. Not at all what blandy is suggesting we tolerate, the opposite.

Time for cohesion through a team oriented approach and philosophy and culture which has its foundation in tapping into inner resources before financial.

'Ephemeral'. Can you imagine the scum using such a word on any of the SHA forums! VT is such a hotbed of cultured debate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Just imagine for a moment how this bloke is going to feel a week on Saturday when he walks to the dug out. Lifelong Villa fan, now the manager, the whole ground on their feet, The Holte End singing his name. It makes me feel quite emotional. Live the dream Deano, live it for the rest of us. 

I must have read this post 10 times, and each time it gives me chills.

Looking forward to next Saturday and welcoming our next manager. It's going to be emotional. I can't wait.

Great Post.

37 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Trying to get over this underwhelmed feeling....

Me too, but the enthusiasm from fellow fans here bouys me. If he comes out the gates playing entertaining football then my concerns will be eased. If he doesnt, well we are all going to be complaining soon enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

Although needing time to implement his own ideas there's enough attacking quality in the Villa squad for Smith & Terry to go one better and get Villa promoted this season.

Through Terry's coaching, the back four will become more solid while the players Villa have through the middle and going forward are well used to more attacking football at their previous clubs. 

Apart from Bolasie under Allerdyce? ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

4-2-3-1 I would imagine. Which can be played as a dynamic modern attacking formation or the Mick Mccarthy version :) I hope the for former.

Is that what he used at Brentford? Be interesting to see how he uses the strikers then. Obviously Tammy is the man in the shirt for me at present, with kodj pushing him hard. Hogan has played well under Smith before so may well do so again. If we have 3 fit and confident strikers all competing for 1 spot, Smiths man management skills could be put to the test, alternatively we could have 3 strikers hitting 15+ goals

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is that what he used at Brentford? Be interesting to see how he uses the strikers then. Obviously Tammy is the man in the shirt for me at present, with kodj pushing him hard. Hogan has played well under Smith before so may well do so again. If we have 3 fit and confident strikers all competing for 1 spot, Smiths man management skills could be put to the test, alternatively we could have 3 strikers hitting 15+ goals

Yeah thats what Brentford play. I agree with you. Also Kodj at least can drop deeper and a little wider when needed so there maybe room for two of them in a line up. Not sure about Tammy. I would be delighted if Hogan thrives.

Don't be surprised to see Smith change a winning side quite often. Done it many times at Brentford. He tends to take a horses for courses approach at times. Study's opposition, something alien to the last guy we had.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wezbid said:

There's nothing same old, same old about it. That's just a lazy stereotype/phrase thrown around with little context. He's British, yes, but does he set teams up like Bruce, Moyes, Allardyce, Simon Grayson, Dean Keates, Steve Evans, Michael Appleby etc etc? Nationality has nothing to do with anything. British managers can play attacking football. 

We shall find out very soon if he fits the stereotype or not. Lets see if he plays modern entertaining attacking football at Villa before praising him for it. Brentford's style may not be his and he may have zero interest in implementing it here. We shall see.

Â