Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Very interesting appointment.

Wouldn't have been my first choice because I have reservations as to how effective he'll be away from the Brentford setup.

But fully behind him and excited.

Welcome Dean.

Which is fair.

I would though argue that you don't appoint a guy like Smith if you aren't looking to try and embed a similar structure and culture at the club. That can't all come from Smith but he is a significant factor in it.

The club needs to modernise, it needs to embed a structure and philosophy and they need to do that to help support Smith and the future beyond his tenure.

• Like 1

I hope we get his full coaching staff in, we’ve seen far too many times mes recently what can happen to managers who don’t have the correct coaches around them. Di matteo didn’t get Newton, Lambert lost Culverhouse or the other one (whose name escapes me), and both struggled after that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Rest assured he is nothing like Bruce. Players will be encouraged to play, expected to play, and coached to play.

The only cause for any concern in my view is whether he is up to the size of the task ( which he may well be). If you add in the return of JT ( worth his weight in gold in my view) I’d say you are right to be pleased.

Expected to play. You are bang on. I think he may sift through the dead wood at Villa too quicker than people think. Let's not forget, he's been on the line against villa 5 times already. He's seen hutton and the likes who's touch, technique won't cut it with Smith. He's not going in blind.

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I hope we get his full coaching staff in, we’ve seen far too many times mes recently what can happen to managers who don’t have the correct coaches around them. Di matteo didn’t get Newton, Lambert lost Culverhouse or the other one (whose name escapes me), and both struggled after that.

Sherwood got Wilki.....oh.

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I think we will, take a look at this quote - https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2018/10/10/club-statement-triple-appointment

Dean has a clear and successful coaching philosophy as well as a real understanding of Aston Villa Football Club. He is also knowledgeable about the Championship.

“The board welcomes him to the club and is looking forward to working with him and his staff.

An interesting post someone put up previously. It's paramount that for us to get the best Dean Smith he must be supported and not let paddle his own canoe . The appointment of the new sporting director is positive. Give Dean whatever he looks for imo. If it seems trivial doesn't matter. If he wants it. Give it to him.

• Like 1

Dean Smith, what can you say apart from welcome and good luck in your role. Bring that attacking football on, it is well needed at our club and we do have the players who will not only enjoy it, but will shine because of it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Welcome home Deano.

Its the man I expected, the man I wanted and I'm behind this all the way 

Absolutely buzzing with this appointment 

UTV

Kin hell, if YOU of all people are happy we must really be in for a good spell.

:cheers:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Shaw_nuff said:

I've not posted for what seems like millennia, but thought, WTF.

Lambert is an interesting comparison. He had a torrid time of it whilst trying to play football with some 'experimental' signings (Benteke being one). We took some absolute hammerings but he still stuck by his principles and towards the end of the season it started to pay dividends and we were starting to dominate teams and get results.

When the new season started, even clearing in the woods-faced Adrian Durham made us his dark horse to do well because of our strong Finish to the previous season.

Then it all went to shit. 

We just went back to percentage hoofball, for no apparent explicable reason apart from Lambert losing his nerve???

I like this appointment. Smith knows the league and he plays the way we NEED to play in this league. If you have better players, press the hell out of the opposition and keep the ball. Just hope he sticks to his guns!!!

I can go back into cryonic suspension now.

It was very bizarre yeah. The only thing I can think of is that around summer 2013 he decided that 12/13 was too close a call and we got hammered too often, so he opted to go for a "safer" style which just got worse and worse. Seem to remember us trying to keep the ball more in his last season, but it was a very negative kind of possession game.

Anyway, this is of course a different man under different circumstances, but my optimism is tempered somewhat by what happened with Lambert. He was known for playing attacking football when he came to us, and within 2 and a half years we had become extremely negative.

I'm really glad the board appear to be progressing with the game and putting a structure in place around the manager.

Â