Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

6 hours ago, blandy said:

I went to that. Pretty sure it was a Saturday, though. Dennis Mortimer scored a screamer down the far end (North Stand). We strolled it.

No it was a Friday. I remember it well as it cut into my usual Friday night drinking time :cheers:. I also remember how we all worried about our players picking up a knock that night that might put them out of the final. Happy days... 

Edited by John

2 hours ago, John said:

No it was a Friday. I remember it well as it cut into my usual Friday night drinking time :cheers:. I also remember how we all worried about our players picking up a knock that night that might put them out of the final. Happy days... 

I shall seek out the programme from the cupboard in the spare room and return with evidence one way or t'other.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

IMG_0909.jpg

@John You win. It must have really hurt, missing that beer.

Every single time I see memorabilia connected with that Saunders/Barton side I get goosebumps. Great times. 

• Like 4

Just now, mjmooney said:

Every single time I see memorabilia connected with that Saunders/Barton side I get goosebumps. Great times. 

I know, I'm the same. When I was going through the heaps of programmes, I had to resist the temptation to just stop there and browse for a good while. Luckily they're sort of a bit organised so it didn't take long to get to what I was after. 'cus they're in in order and home and away are separate, the next one was a pre-season friendly sheet for Sparta Prague, then Sunderland in the league with Pics of the team doing the Lord Mayor thing in front of the town hall on the cover, holding the Cup.

A lifetime ago, and a different world.

• Like 2

My grandad has loads of programmes going back to the late 40s up until he stopped going in the 93/94 season. They are all in the loft in boxes. I’m the same blandy, the rare occasions I do go up in the loft, I can’t help but sit there for an hour or so, and go through them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My grandad has loads of programmes going back to the late 40s up until he stopped going in the 93/94 season. They are all in the loft in boxes. I’m the same blandy, the rare occasions I do go up in the loft, I can’t help but sit there for an hour or so, and go through them. 

I got loads from 1975 til about 2007. Wanna buy em?

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I know, I'm the same. When I was going through the heaps of programmes, I had to resist the temptation to just stop there and browse for a good while. Luckily they're sort of a bit organised so it didn't take long to get to what I was after. 'cus they're in in order and home and away are separate, the next one was a pre-season friendly sheet for Sparta Prague, then Sunderland in the league with Pics of the team doing the Lord Mayor thing in front of the town hall on the cover, holding the Cup.

A lifetime ago, and a different world.

Well done on finding it so quickly. One thing my programmes aren't are organised. It would have taken me hours if not days. The wife would vouch for that! Love to look at them though they bring back so many Villa memories from years gone by. By the way, that beer was delayed not missed. :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Trinity opened for this game!! This should be a big crowd for smith and jts debut bow!

23 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Swansea have sold out too. Could be close to 40k. 

It just shows the draw we have.

Once the fans have something to believe in they turn out in force. If we can start to win, play attractive football and challenge for promotion the upper Trinity will be open a few more times.

Easily the biggest club in this division by far, ask the Leeds fans that one