Pre-Match Thread

alreadyexists

39 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s still a good footballer, just because he was poor last season, doesn’t make him a poor player overall. Before last season, he had been a solid Premier League footballer for Swansea and internationally for Wales

Taylor has been really woeful. Just plummeted. I wouldn't be suprised if he is the first person sold by smith 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Taylor has been really woeful. Just plummeted. I wouldn't be suprised if he is the first person sold by smith 

Then we’re left with no natural left back on the books, I hope he’s not sold unless a replacement is lined up

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Did you think he was dreadful for Swansea in the Premier League?

I didn't realise quite how dreadful he was, but yes I didn't rate him.

There's a reason they sold him to a Championship team, despite not being very good themselves.

Hutton is ten times the left back that Taylor is, imo. And Hutton is rubbish.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Then we’re left with no natural left back on the books, I hope he’s not sold unless a replacement is lined up

Yes I agree selling pending on a replacement lined up. I think left back is the first area smith will look at

• Like 1

I haven't watched Swansea in years.

Possibly since they had Michu and Pablo Hernandez.

Would love us to get the win.

If we need to win 50% of games or more to achieve top 6 and over 70% for automatic then it won't hurt to start here.

I like the line up from the page before this one - although I'd have Hutton over both of the fullbacks you'd selected. In terms of which weakness I'd prefer, I'd probably stick with Taylor over Elmohamady on the side not occupied by the Scotsman.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah, though I suppose there's hope that a new manager will allow him to regain confidence, concentration and competence. He was OK (no more) till he broke poor Osman's leg so badly, playing for Wales against Scotland. Been bobbins ever since.

• Like 2

On 09/10/2018 at 23:42, OutByEaster? said:

Also, according to the (not always reliable) online ticket map, there are only about 3,300 tickets left for this one as things stand. 

According to the (not alway reliable) online ticket map, we're now down to about 1,600.

Open the Upper Trinity?

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, though I suppose there's hope that a new manager will allow him to regain confidence, concentration and competence. He was OK (no more) till he broke poor Osman's leg so badly, playing for Wales against Scotland. Been bobbins ever since.

That's exactly what I was thinking, he's probably scared to go into tackles now since that awful tackle on Osman, that broke his leg. I watched that game, what a nightmare moment. : ( Maybe occasionally a leg break tackle can turn out to be more or less career-ending for both players in the tackle.

Edited by robby b

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He's another I can see us not being able to get rid of. Long contract on good money, we'll probably have to beg a club to take him on loan.

Also, I do appreciate that Hutton hasn't played great overall this season but that doesn't make him a "rubbish" player. He was good last season and that was just a short time ago, just earlier this year. Let's see, he's about to benefit from the new manager effect plus JT back again...

I don't envy Smith in predicting the Swansea lineup. They have used 5 different formations in their last 5 games.

4-1-4-1

4-4-2

3-5-2

4-2-2-2

Whatever the fifth setup was.

Nyland

Elmo Chester Tuanzebe Hutton

El Ghazi McGinn Grealish Bolasie

Abraham Kodjia

• Like 1

We have been beaten by Swansea on their last two visits to Villa Park and our last home win against them was a 2-0 victory six years ago. 

A home game against them that I recall was one held on Friday 21/5/82. On that occasion we won our last league game of the season 3-0 which had been brought forward to a Friday night due to an appointment we had in Rotterdam on the following Wednesday.:hooray:

Our first home league game against them came on Boxing Day 1936 during our first season outside of the top flight and we won that one 4-0 as we did the home game against them during the following season when we were promoted. Our next game at Villa Park against them came in another promotion season (a 1-0 win in 1959). Hopefully another win will start a resurgence under new management that will bring us another promotion to the top flight at the end of this season. Overall we have won 12 of the 24 league games between the two clubs and have drawn 3. Let's make it 13 wins of of 25! 

23 minutes ago, John said:

.A home game against them that I recall was one held on Friday 21/5/82. On that occasion we won our last league game of the season 3-0 which had been brought forward to a Friday night due to an appointment we had in Rotterdam on the following Wednesday.:hooray:

I went to that. Pretty sure it was a Saturday, though. Dennis Mortimer scored a screamer down the far end (North Stand). We strolled it.

2 hours ago, John said:

We have been beaten by Swansea on their last two visits to Villa Park and our last home win against them was a 2-0 victory six years ago. 

A home game against them that I recall was one held on Friday 21/5/82. On that occasion we won our last league game of the season 3-0 which had been brought forward to a Friday night due to an appointment we had in Rotterdam on the following Wednesday.:hooray:

Our first home league game against them came on Boxing Day 1936 during our first season outside of the top flight and we won that one 4-0 as we did the home game against them during the following season when we were promoted. Our next game at Villa Park against them came in another promotion season (a 1-0 win in 1959). Hopefully another win will start a resurgence under new management that will bring us another promotion to the top flight at the end of this season. Overall we have won 12 of the 24 league games between the two clubs and have drawn 3. Let's make it 13 wins of of 25! 

Was the 2-0 six years ago when Benteke scored on his home debut?

I think it was. I'll never forget that match, Villa 2 Swansea 0 in September 2012, because it was one of my worst costly blunder days. During the game I was busy having a big 'misunderstanding' with a dodgy taxi driver on the French Guyana/Suriname border. Not only did he not take me to the checkpoint where I needed to get my entry stamp in my passport, he proceeded to drive me to the middle of Suriname, about a hundred miles away from the border, while I was checking the BBC live text for the score. Doh! : ( 

Edited by robby b
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't envy Smith in predicting the Swansea lineup. They have used 5 different formations in their last 5 games.

4-1-4-1

4-4-2

3-5-2

4-2-2-2

Whatever the fifth setup was.

Nyland

Elmo Chester Tuanzebe Hutton

El Ghazi McGinn Grealish Bolasie

Abraham Kodjia

Your suggested team line-up is exactly what I'd like too, A'Villan. ? In certain other games I was thinking Bjarnasson instead of El Ghazi but I'd like to see us with two wingers sometimes and El Ghazi to get a few more chances.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

For a start I don't want to see any more players out of position. Hutton fights for right back and kodjia for the striker.

Although I would like to see bree in over Hutton at right back.