Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Getting to work in January. Improving the quality of the team.  Ya know, what he was essentially brought here to do .

By the looks of things he is well under way.

An international £7m goalkeeper signing could be viewed as the start of this imo.

Hopefully a few more follow.

Keep in mind though we can only improve it so much this month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

By the looks of things he is well under way.

An international £7m goalkeeper signing could be viewed as the start of this imo.

Hopefully a few more follow.

Keep in mind though we can only improve it so much this month.

I understand that but it's not like transfer windows of the 90s and before where you can do business all year round. Yes, the Kalinic signing is promising i agree. Need strengthening in many areas though.

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I understand that but it's not like transfer windows of the 90s and before where you can do business all year round. Yes, the Kalinic signing is promising i agree. Need strengthening in many areas though.

Yep we do I agree.

I would love nothing more than us signing 6 players in this window, however we do need to keep one eye on FFP still.

Let's not forget what we also employed Juanfran. I would equally like to see him bring something to the table.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of insight into his role.

'Make decisions coldly' - Explaining THAT big change Aston Villa have made

AVFC have decided to go down a new route since Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens completed their takeover

Owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens appointed Dean Smith as head coach in October and decided to go down the sporting director route. Pitarch, known as Suso, was named Villa’s first official sporting director.

It’s a system used by virtually every Spanish club and one which is becoming increasingly common in the English game.

But what exactly are Suso’s duties? We spoke to Spanish club FC Jumilla's sporting director Pedro Asensio to get the lowdown on the role central to Villa’s long-term plans.

Day-to-day duties

Suso has taken little time in getting used to his new surroundings. The 55-year-old studied English intensively for six months back in 2012 and has started to form a scouting network around Europe, which includes former Spain international Juanfran Garcia.

“The sporting director is the main (transfer) actor in his club, since he has to mediate the needs of the staff, the budget set and the options generated by the market,” Asensio tells BirminghamLive.

But there’s more to it than that. “There are two work situations: the transfer market periods where you have to have constant meetings with the coaching staff to see the needs of the team and the team president/owner to see what budget the team has.

“And when the transfer market is closed, the day-to-day of a sporting director is to supervise the work of the team and staff so that they have the best possible conditions."

So, what does a sporting director’s job specification look like?

“Supervision, management and decision making in the day-to-day of a team.

“Transfers, young players with projection, more neutral vision of the players, solve problems, generate stability. 

Controlling the market

Sporting directors often emerge from playing or coaching backgrounds, but there are exceptions to that norm.

Suso, however, isn’t one. He enjoyed a 15-year playing career spanning nine professional clubs in his homeland before making the jump to become a sporting director.

•  Controlling the marketSporting directors often emerge from playing or coaching backgrounds, but there are exceptions to that norm.Suso, however, isn’t one. He enjoyed a 15-year playing career spanning nine professional clubs in his homeland before making the jump to become a sporting director.
  •  

According to sources close to Suso’s former club Valencia, Villa’s transfer supremo has never been one to spend hours watching football, hence why a career in coaching didn’t appeal to him.

He’s made his name in the transfer market which is, after all, the sporting director’s bread and butter.

“The most important thing is knowledge, through experience, of the world of football at the company level and at the sport level to make decisions coldly and with the greatest possible rigour,” Asensio continues.

“There are several ways to control the market. Analysing live matches, for me the best way, and with the new work tools of the last years, Wyscout, Instad etc are a vital tool to do a great job, but in my opinion these tools have to be a support to what’s seen live on the football fields.”

Success and failure

It’s far too early to judge the success of Suso’s first transfer window. Villa signed four new players in the form of Lovre Kalinic, Kortney Hause, Tyrone Mings and Tom Carroll but missed out on other targets.

Part of his remit will also be to decide which of the out-of-contract stars the club wishes to keep at the end of the season.

Asensio explains: “Success in football is always measured by sporting achievements, but in the function of the sporting director there are times that we must prioritise the economic area so that the club is viable, rather than the sport.

“Then, depending on the project, it would depend on analysing one way or another its success.”

Ultimately, though, success for Suso is providing Smith with the tools to achieve promotion.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-sporting-director-15793808

Â