Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Suso is at craven cottage tonight watching fulham and swansea. Wonder why...?

Probably checking out that Josh Onomah fella.

He's almost as good as Grealish apparently.

On 22/02/2020 at 20:42, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I said this in another thread but the model should have been to bring in at least two established PL players and not those who might work coming from overseas.

We should have moved heaven and earth to sign two players like Milner and Cahill.

Waiting a season for the likes of Trezeguet, Wesley and Luiz to come good was foolish and looks like costing us. It's actually farcical.

Heaton, Mings?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Targett cost what, £14m and Mings £23m.  Signing established PL players is crazily expensive before you even talk about wages.  I agree Cahill would have been a great signing but the word was he wanted to stay in London at the time.  I think people underestimate the job Suso and Dean had on their hands this summer.

• Like 4

On 23/02/2020 at 13:33, Delphinho123 said:

We’ve spent 100m on players that will probably struggle in the championship. Great

What makes you think a team currently in 17th place will struggle in the Championship? Last season's Championship winners are currently 20th in the PL. (Don't say "losing Grealish" - we'll have at least another 100m to spend if we have to sell him and McGinn.)

• Like 2

On 22/02/2020 at 17:39, Xela said:

If we go down, our bargaining position is massively weaker. He'll be taken off our hands for much less. 

I hear this a lot, but isn't the main driver of his transfer fee going to be the number of wealthy clubs interested in him?

If Man Utd +1 (Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs...) come in for him, then they're going to have to fight each other for a fair valuation which would be £80m+.

You look at some of the players likely to be on the way out at all those clubs, and there will be a Jack-shaped hole at quite a few big clubs next summer.

He has obviously been asked by Purslow to buy young players with sell on potential. That is fine but like everything in life you need a balance. It is clear that we needed some more old wise heads with the young uns. I don't understand why the only position we wanted experience was the goalkeeper in both windows.  Moneyball is in theory a good way to run  a sports organisation but all teams are basically doing this  now.

If in the long term we go down and then go straight back up with most of the squad intact then ok that might work. But that is in no way guaranteed. We lucked out last season going up via the playoffs, none of the 3 years in the championship we never looked like top 2 promotion hopefuls even with our spending power advantage. This season was a huge bonus and personally we should have parked some of the strategic long term goals in just aiming to stay up. That could still happen but given our form, the fixtures left and our long standing squad issues, it looks a tall order.

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He has obviously been asked by Purslow to buy young players with sell on potential. That is fine but like everything in life you need a balance. It is clear that we needed some more old wise heads with the young uns.

Think that's incorrect. What we needed was better and established players. Age is fairly irrelevant. 

El Ghazi, Trez, Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, Jota, Hause, Wes ++ either aren't good enough, or will need a season to adjust to the league. 

Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba will probably make it, but I am not so sure about the rest. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think that's incorrect. What we needed was better and established players. Age is fairly irrelevant. 

El Ghazi, Trez, Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba, Jota, Hause, Wes ++ either aren't good enough, or will need a season to adjust to the league. 

Konsa, Luiz, Nakamba will probably make it, but I am not so sure about the rest. 

Its the football economy  and  our current position in the food chain.

We can't afford or the player will be unwilling to move to Villa if they are fully established premier league player  and in their prime in their mid to late 20s.

So we can either afford or get players who are young and promising and were happy to move to Villa from abroad or the championship which pay less wages.

And/or you can get some player those whilst still good, are going towards the end of their careers, and are happy to play for a year or two at Villa. 

Personally a combination of the two would have been better. That is not saying I wanted a team of old lags and loans like Bruce which is not sustainable, but a sensible mix.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its the football economy  and  our current position in the food chain.

We can't afford or the player will be unwilling to move to Villa if they are fully established and in their prime in their mid to late 20s.

So we can either afford or get players who are young and promising and were happy to move to Villa from abroad or the championship which pay less wages.

And/or you can get some player those whilst still good, are going towards the end of their careers, and are happy to play for a year or two at Villa. 

Personally a combination of the two would have been better. That is not saying I wanted a team of old lags and loans like Bruce which is not sustainable, but a sensible mix.

I get your point and PL experience is an issue. But I like the idea of signing championship players for the simple reason they're used to the English game, but the quality has to be there. I also think it's possible to buy young quality which isn't crazy expensive.

So old experienced players wasn't the need like you say imo. It was better quality. Our wingers + Wes have shown to be.. well not PL standard. Your age really doesn't matter if you're good enough. 

A player like Aaron Mooy could probably also have been an option for us. Harry Wilson was attainable methinks. So was probably McBurnie, Samatta, Maupay, Behnrama. Neither are experienced per say, but at least the English game wouldn't have shell shocked them. Trez for instance did not get used to the intensity of the English game at the start of this season. El Ghazi lost us point after point due to never tracking back. Wes got bullied and gave up. 

Drinkwater would probably have been good if he was match fit, even if he has experience. 

To me the recruitment has just failed to identify quality. And that's rather important haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread gets off lightly. 

Smith should be sacked but this guy should be shot. 

Anyone who thinks Engels, Trezeguet, Nakamba, Luiz and Wesley is good value at £65m needs to be as far away from this club as possible. 

He makes Paddy Reilly look good. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought we spent **** all considering the amount of players we had to buy? I actually think our biggest problem is that we didn't have enough money to spend. Needed 3 more players. 

Yeah a lot of the players we've bought are duds, but they probably cost an average of £10m which is nothing for a Premier League player these days. It barely buys you a Premier League player. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Am I the only one who thought we spent **** all considering the amount of players we had to buy? I actually think our biggest problem is that we didn't have enough money to spend. Needed 3 more players. 

Yeah a lot of the players we've bought are duds, but they probably cost an average of £10m which is nothing for a Premier League player these days. It barely buys you a Premier League player. 

Yeh, we get it, £10m isn’t much for a Premier League player but it is a lot for a player that will struggle in the championship. 

We can hide behind the average cost of the players we bought all we like but it’s going to really hit some of you hard when you realise that they’re not good enough for the championship either. 

Â