Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Our predicament drastically changed when we lost our starting striker and keeper at the start of the window, our plans did too and Smith said as much. 

On top of that mcginn for injured right before the window as well so we had to sign a cm and everything else we needed before. 

55 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Did our predicament really change when we lost Wesley? Surely a striker was top of the list this window anyway given Wesley's lack of goals and contribution! Completely agree about a keeper though.

We would have been signing a striker but now need two. There's also a chance that we were only going to sign a rotation/back up striker and spend our funds on a winger (not saying we were just that who knows precisely what we were planning), we now defo need a starting striker.

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We would have been signing a striker but now need two. There's also a chance that we were only going to sign a rotation/back up striker and spend our funds on a winger (not saying we were just that who knows precisely what we were planning), we now defo need a starting striker.

Mate you've lost me we were never signing anything other than a starting striker!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Mate you've lost me we were never signing anything other than a starting striker!

I think/hope we were but who knows, a week ago I would have been certain we wouldn't sign a player who has barely played in years, and this season has had more drink related incidents than appearances for Burnley. The club seem to be doing some surprising things at the minute so who knows we might have spent all our funds getting an upgrade on Trez/El Ghazi meaning we couldn't afford a starting striker. But I've been up since 2am, my brains fried and probably talking nonsense.

On 09/01/2020 at 08:59, tomav84 said:

a while back there was a tweet from one of the respected journos...cant remember who. might have been gregg evans or one of the telegraph ones...basically saying suso was responsible for the foreign signings whereas the likes of konsa, heaton, and the loans that became permanent were smith signings.

We're doing this again... They ALWAYS say this. So far as we know Suso and Deano work together. If there is any praise/blame to be levelled for our our summer business it goes to both of them. Unless we are saying Smith receives no praise whatsoever for the signings he supposedly didn't make when they become quality Premier League players? 

I think given the circumstances our signings under Suso have been remarkably decent on the whole. Yes the squad is incomplete, yes injuries have rocked us, but none of that is Suso's fault IMO. He inherited an absolute mess and signing an entire first XI in one summer is always going to throw up challenges. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmm, yes, the real world is just like it is on Football manager.

What do you do if your target doesnt want to come or the selling club don't want to let him go? What if there is a delay for some reason? Do you move to your second choice instantly? What if the primary choice is not available until the end of the window do you get an inferior player instead? What if the deal is lined up but the selling club need to get someone in first?

You can't just snap your fingers and make the players appear. Amazon Prime do not supply premier league footballers.

Lack of people arriving does not mean people are sat on their arses or that they are crap at their jobs.

By that logic, there is absolutely zero point in having a DoF, then. 

You either don’t comprehend this, or are just choosing to ignore it, but the point I’m making is that signings should have been buttoned up before January. It has been clear  to everyone that those wingers we bought in the Summer are not cut out to compensate for having a striker that does not score goals.  We’ve known that for ages and he should have been working hard outside of the window to get it done. 

I don’t see how having a DoF has been of any advantage to us whatsoever. 

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're doing this again... They ALWAYS say this. So far as we know Suso and Deano work together. If there is any praise/blame to be levelled for our our summer business it goes to both of them. Unless we are saying Smith receives no praise whatsoever for the signings he supposedly didn't make when they become quality Premier League players? 

I think given the circumstances our signings under Suso have been remarkably decent on the whole. Yes the squad is incomplete, yes injuries have rocked us, but none of that is Suso's fault IMO. He inherited an absolute mess and signing an entire first XI in one summer is always going to throw up challenges. 

It’s unlikely to be Smith as he worked very effectively under the same structure at Brentford. 

10 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

It’s unlikely to be Smith as he worked very effectively under the same structure at Brentford. 

So Suso receives praise for signing Mings, Hause, Konsa, Heaton et al too then? And then when Douglas finally plays next to an experienced head and flourishes he get's another tick in the box. 

I'm fine with this tbh. I also think giving his summer signings till January, with an injury riddled squad and a manager who unperformed himself for 6 weeks is a bit unfair IMO.

He has a big job ahead of this January again, let's see how he performs. A year ago he found the missing piece.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Although Smith has made errors himself this season, he's been let down by the quality brought in IMO.

Suso has suggested most of these players. Smith has signed them off yes, but he can only judge and sign off what's brought to him. Being at the training ground for most of the year he can't be scouring the world for players. I think if we do top off an unbelievable 14 months by staying up Smith will be more cautious signing players for the sake of it after what's unfortunately ended up happening with injuries.

I think we're gonners. Losing Heaton and not having an alternative striker available to an underperforming Wes has been too much.

I can't decide if keeping us up will be as much of a miracle as getting us up. It's close.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So Suso receives praise for signing Mings, Hause, Konsa, Heaton et al too then? And then when Douglas finally plays next to an experienced head and flourishes he get's another tick in the box. 

I'm fine with this tbh. I also think giving his summer signings till January, with an injury riddled squad and a manager who unperformed himself for 6 weeks is a bit unfair IMO.

He has a big job ahead of this January again, let's see how he performs. A year ago he found the missing piece.  

Yes, but he’s still net neutral because he wasted £50M on Wesley, Targett and Trezeguet. Thats why I suspect he isn’t being trusted with money this January. 

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Yes, but he’s still net neutral because he wasted £50M on Wesley, Targett and Trezeguet. Thats why I suspect he isn’t being trusted with money this January. 

I think it's becoming apparent quite quickly that you don't really understand how these things work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Although Smith has made errors himself this season, he's been let down by the quality brought in IMO.

Suso has suggested most of these players. Smith has signed them off yes, but he can only judge and sign off what's brought to him. Being at the training ground for most of the year he can't be scouring the world for players. I think if we do top off an unbelievable 14 months by staying up Smith will be more cautious signing players for the sake of it after what's unfortunately ended up happening with injuries.

I think we're gonners. Losing Heaton and not having an alternative striker available to an underperforming Wes has been too much.

I can't decide if keeping us up will be as much of a miracle as getting us up. It's close.

I don't agree with any of your post, but referring to your last paragraph then yes, if we stay up it'll be as good if not better than getting us up.

• Like 1

It would be far, far more effective for Purslow just to engage directly with Agents. Pay them a buyside/success fee. 

Suso has just not been anywhere near effective enough - its predicaments like this where you’d really need him to step up - and has shown appalling judgement, on balance. 

Anyone who looks at Wesley, Targett or Trezeguet and think that the DoF role has been successful, should really question themselves.

6 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

It would be far, far more effective for Purslow just to engage directly with Agents. Pay them a buyside/success fee. 

Suso has just not been anywhere near effective enough - its predicaments like this where you’d really need him to step up - and has shown appalling judgement, on balance. 

Anyone who looks at Wesley, Targett or Trezeguet and think that the DoF role has been successful, should really question themselves.

We had to sign half an entire squad in a few months. Not exactly easy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

By that logic, there is absolutely zero point in having a DoF, then. 

You either don’t comprehend this, or are just choosing to ignore it, but the point I’m making is that signings should have been buttoned up before January. It has been clear  to everyone that those wingers we bought in the Summer are not cut out to compensate for having a striker that does not score goals.  We’ve known that for ages and he should have been working hard outside of the window to get it done. 

I don’t see how having a DoF has been of any advantage to us whatsoever. 

I comprehend what you are saying, I just think you are completely wrong.

Do you honestly think that people have been sitting there thinking, "oooh, its January, best start looking for some players". Jesus wept.

If it were possible to have gotten people in quicker I am sure we would have done so. 

How do you know signings havent been "buttoned up?" Maybe they have been agreed but the selling clubs are having difficulty replacing the player. 

Maybe the player didnt want to talk about it until January because he wanted to fight for his place/concentrate on his current club.

Maybe other clubs refused to talk about it until now.

Maybe a million things.....

But if you really think Suso and others have not been doing anything until the window opened then I am sorry but I cannot help you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I think he has done a very good job.

Mings, Heaton, Gilbert are probably his best signings but all of them have added value. We arguably overpaid a little for Wesley but thats really my only criticism of Suso and even there Wesley is a good player.  We havent signed any Lescott's or Richards or McCormacks under Suso I am happy to say.

• Like 2

Â