Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

They were on high wages and to be honest they were not exactly saleable assets. That’s not true now. If we sold Jack and Ty we would bank over £100m. Also our new owners make Dr X look like a corner shop owner in every possible way!

I was thinking wages would have been an influence.  But some clearly had no interest, and I would expect the same again.  You're essentially implying that the strategy is more important than keeping our best players.  To have the quality of someone like Jack is a once in a generation odds

Here's my list of who I would expect to leave:

Douglas Luiz
Tom Heaton
Björn Engels
Tyrone Mings
John McGinn
Jack Grealish
Marvelous Nakamba
Anwar El Ghazi

As you say, there would be considerable funds to rebuild. 

But is risking relegation and having to rebuild again worth it for essentially the same stategy as before?  Not for me.  Staying up means the chance of keeping our best players.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I was thinking wages would have been an influence.  But some clearly had no interest, and I would expect the same again.  You're essentially implying that the strategy is more important than keeping our best players.  To have the quality of someone like Jack is a once in a generation odds

Douglas Luiz
Tom Heaton
Björn Engels
Tyrone Mings
John McGinn
Jack Grealish
Marvelous Nakamba
Anwar El Ghazi

But is risking relegation and having to rebuild again worth it for essentially the same stategy as before?  Not for me.  Staying up means the chance of keeping our best players.

You make good points that I think many are forgetting about. Being relegated means a complete reset. It is highly likely that all the players you mention will move. Therefore any ideas of a quick return with one season back in the Championship are ridiculously optimistic. We go down and we are looking at a minimum 2 year rebuild imo before being ready to challenge for promotion again. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Douglas Luiz
Tom Heaton
Björn Engels
Tyrone Mings
John McGinn
Jack Grealish
Marvelous Nakamba
Anwar El Ghazi

Mings, Mcginn and Grealish - yes - the others not so sure - I wouldn't see that many takers - a further worry for me - would those from the above list make much of an impact in the championship ?  - El-Ghazi blew hot and cold last season - Ive seen nothing to suggest Nakamba would be a stalwart in the championship - I know we have paid big fee's and they have fancy names - but I really think we have brought a load of shite !

Been getting a lot of criticism for his signings but have to remember it was his signings this time last year and in the previous summer that played a massive part in us getting promoted, and it's too early to call this summers signings a failure. Transfer windows previous to when he came in we'd spend money which would fill the fans with optimism but that wouldn't translate to results on the pitch as we'd have season after season either battling relegation or not being good enough for promotion, at least since this guy has come in we've actually achieved something. I say merry Christmas to him and a happy new year.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, useless said:

his signings this time last year and in the previous summer that played a massive part in us getting promoted,

He didn't join until October 2018 mate (Purslow bought him in).. so he never had any say in the summer signings i.e McGinn etc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Well at least the likes of Mings and Hause made a big difference to us. Hopefully our January signings this year can make as big of an impact.

Last season

They would have been Deano's own suggestions not Suso's. Deano also chose Tom Carroll.

Suso's suggestion was Kalinic.

Edited by Villan4Life

I'm sure Purslow said that he played a big part in the Mings and Hause deals, maybe he just meant that he'd convinced them to join rather than picked them. He must have also played some part in bringing Smith to the club in the first place. Without him we might not have been promoted.

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs shooting. 

Do you ever have anything positive to say at all? 

The bloke has been here 2 transfer windows, we probably have the best keeper we’ve had in a decade, some good centre backs and some players with huge potential. At the same time we’ve had to rebuild the squad due to previous years of mismanagement. Of course every signing isn’t going to be amazing, just as every one isn’t going to be useless. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Dear lord, and you are questioning Smith's decision making?

Your rights to post on this forum are hereby revoked.

As much as I love those 3, they could barely even play in the Championship for us anymore... lol

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As much as I love those 3, they could barely even play in the Championship for us anymore... lol

One has no club (Jedinek) one is in a mid league champ club ( Adomah ) and one is in the SPL (Whelan) they absolutely would have done nothing in the PL. Infact when you see some of the regulars last season and where they are now its an even better feat by us getting promoted.

Last chance for me this Jan. See if he can find anyone.

Four main signings from him this summer. Only one "good" signing, and he's ideally one for the future not now in Doug. Also a shame a left back wasn't found better value than Targett for £11-14m.

I hated that story about the agent. Absolute joke if we've resorted to that already, recommendations from bloody agents and get lumbered with Wes and a 50/50 player in Marvellous. That's not scouting.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

All our new boys have been thrown in at the deep end together really though, it took a while for fabinho to settle at liverpool, but he was aloud to sit on the bench and integrate our players dont have that luxury 

On 23/12/2019 at 13:26, Humanoid said:

It's the same model as 2015-16.  Those recruits back then wanted out when Villa were relegated.  What makes you so sure that the current recruits will want to stay if Villa are relagated this season?  There'll be a lot of clubs after them.  Then there are senior players like Jack, McGinn, Heaton, who'll want to be playing at the highest level they can, they won't have any interest in playing in the Championship. 

A fair few of those players back in the relegation got alienated by the management which isnt the case now.  Traore barely got a game, Tim's treatment of Veretout was shameful, Gueye had a stupidly low release clause, Gil would get dropped like a stone as well (admittedly his best football has only been in the MLS).  And this was before Eric Black got his hands on selection of the team.  I suspect Dean is seen a lot more favourably by the entire squad than when we went down.  I'd also take issue with the criticism Suso gets for his European signings when by definition they are likely to take longer to settle than home-grown players but it's necessary to go that way when you're looking for value.  I still think our business was fine in the summer considering how much we had to do and have confidence that we will sign a couple more in January.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

All our new boys have been thrown in at the deep end together really though, it took a while for fabinho to settle at liverpool, but he was aloud to sit on the bench and integrate our players dont have that luxury 

Its been half a season. They've had a reasonable amount of time to get used to the PL and gel now. We don't have the time to wait anything like a year for them to get used to the PL.

Â