Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

14 hours ago, hippo said:

Was he ? Garde looked doomed to fail from day 1.

He was being talked of as a possible successor to Wenger before he left Lyon. His stock was high when we got him him. The fact that we hired him, a completely different manager to the one he replaced showed the complete lack of any system or strategy in place. I think they suggested they'd gone for Garde to try and get the French players more integrated because they were all in a french speaking clique of their own. Was too late at that stage.

29 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He was being talked of as a possible successor to Wenger before he left Lyon. His stock was high when we got him him. The fact that we hired him, a completely different manager to the one he replaced showed the complete lack of any system or strategy in place. I think they suggested they'd gone for Garde to try and get the French players more integrated because they were all in a french speaking clique of their own. Was too late at that stage.

This.

We went from O'Neill who played with wingers, through Houllier to Macleish who absolutely did not. This meant that many players became surplus to requirements to each new manager.

Southampton - who a lot of people talk about as being very good at this - have a style of football throughout all of their teams, and always seem to have a list of the next players they need and the next manager to come in. We should replicate this model - but because we should be bigger than Southampton, we don't need to keep selling our best players or losing our manager.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

By Who ?  - ex arsenal player - who went into management - sure some pundit made the link. Its comparable to Fergie recommending Mcleish. I think he had 3 seasons as manager - we were pretty average. 

The one player he wanted to buy - we now have and will probably sell at a loss.

Garde was massively out of depth at Villa - from day 1 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We should bear in mind that not all of these signings will 'hit'. They never do. But considering the size of the task he had to complete in such a short space of time, he has breezed through it. There doesn't appear to be a random purchase amongst them, every one seems to fit the mould. 

It's rare that clubs in our position don't panic and whack a load of cash down on a Cahill, chasing some level of stability > ability. They have identified what they want from an Aston Villa player and stuck with it, I am impressed no matter what the outcome. 

I think we will be fine, fwiw. Which at this stage is absolutely nothing. 

We should also bear in mind that, barring basically a miraculous pre season, there absolutely WILL be a bedding in/gelling period.

I honestly think there's a very good chance we are going to be quite shit until September.

I'm confident it'll all come together. But it is almost inevitable that with this many new players, we aren't going to click straight away.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We should also bear in mind that, barring basically a miraculous pre season, there absolutely WILL be a bedding in/gelling period.

I honestly think there's a very good chance we are going to be quite shit until September.

I'm confident it'll all come together. But it is almost inevitable that with this many new players, we aren't going to click straight away.

Sure, maybe. It's why I have said in other threads I wouldn't be surprised to see Hause start at centre half, Hourihane in midfield, El Ghazi on the wing. Whether they will all stay there long term I don't know, but in any case it seems like the sensible option. 

They look to have had as good a pre-season as they possibly could have. 

Regardless Suso has done his bit. The above is down to the coaching staff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. I am going to take any point we get for the first month or so as a bonus.

But I am very confident our coaching staff will make this team better and better as the season progresses.

That's the key for me, i think Smith is definitely the sort of Manager/Coach that views his role as someone that makes players better. It's not a job for his staff while he peers though his office window whilst writing up his next half time Churchillian speech, he wants to be in the training pitch with these guys improving their games. 

I agree it may take a few weeks, whilst also acknowledging that not every transfer will work out, but I'm confident that Smith will get the best out if these guys and turn them into a decent unit. 

13 hours ago, av1 said:

That's the key for me, i think Smith is definitely the sort of Manager/Coach that views his role as someone that makes players better. It's not a job for his staff while he peers though his office window whilst writing up his next half time Churchillian speech, he wants to be in the training pitch with these guys improving their games. 

I agree it may take a few weeks, whilst also acknowledging that not every transfer will work out, but I'm confident that Smith will get the best out if these guys and turn them into a decent unit. 

Don't you mean his next Steve Barnes novel? 😉

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, av1 said:

Agreed. When you are bringing in 12 players (many of whom have never played in the PL) the law of averages suggest you are going to sign a couple of duds. And whilst we are yet to see Nakamba and Targget, so far all of our signings looks like they are going to be good players for the club. 

Apart from the kid from Swansea who was only a short term loan anyway, the recruitment since Smith came in has been very good indeed. 

I posted the above in the Managers thread but it also applies here. 

The club had a huge rebuilding job and it looks like they have done a bloody good job it. 

And I bet he is busy now looking at possible targets in January.  I bet we see a couple of signings from abroad like the Guilbert deal.  Signed permanently then loaned back to their old clubs ready to start with us next season.  Wouldn't mind if they turn out like Guilbert too!

One of the things I really like is how we've clearly signed a mix of Deano players (Jota, Konsa, Engels) and Suso players (Guilbert, Wesley, Trez) and it all seems to be coming together well.

You can't look at the pitch and tell the difference between a Deano signing or a Suso signing. You only know from interviews, etc. That shows how well they're working together on scouting and recruitment.

I also think little details like pairing Trez and Elmo, Wesley and Douglas, recruiting 3 ex-Brugge players, and 2 ex-Brentford players, etc. show they've put thought into player integration.

I don't know how much of this is Suso's doing, but whatever he's doing he's clearly making life easier for Smith.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, New_Hope said:

And I bet he is busy now looking at possible targets in January.  I bet we see a couple of signings from abroad like the Guilbert deal.  Signed permanently then loaned back to their old clubs ready to start with us next season.  Wouldn't mind if they turn out like Guilbert too!

yet the media will still be linking us with 20million players from the Championship or some 30 year olds with proven Premier League experience

• 3 months later...
On 02/08/2019 at 17:26, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. I am going to take any point we get for the first month or so as a bonus.

But I am very confident our coaching staff will make this team better and better as the season progresses.

We will always get positivity on this forum and that's all good, I embrace it. But the fact that some fans think Smith is gonna turn it around is far gone. This team is playing worse than the start of the season. Big reason being, we have been found out and Smith has no idea how to react to it.

This is the start of the end, we may go an beat Norwich, but it doesn't change the fact we have no idea against the teams above us.

Â