Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So we agree that we have roughly in the region of £30-40m to spend on a couple of players, assuming deals that haven't happened yet. 

Best get bargain hunting then. 

You only think we need 2 players? I assume you are counting Louis and Engles then? If so that puts the spend at about £102m so I think leaves about £28m without player sales.

Personally I would consider those both bargains in terms of price compared to the prices we were previously looking at for the likes of Webster and Phillips.

If we were continuing to pursue those players then we would have needed some bargains for the remaining players needed.

As it happens it looks like we have got a couple of bargains instead leaving more for what we still need.

Personally I still think we need a GK, RW and a striker. The £28-30m left (assuming it’s right) would look like enough to get three players, especially if we can get Heaton relatively cheap and Trezeguet for £10m which would leave about £11m in the pot for a forward. Roughly obviously.

• Like 1

I haven't got a link as I can't remember where I saw it, but that Almajir (small heath blogger who's normally pretty reliable source of information), said that the fee they received for Jota was nowhere near £4m. He had originally said that we just took over his small heath contract as they could no longer afford his wages, and he was due a pay rise, but as part of the deal we agreed to make a contribution to Gardner's wages as he had also just had a payrise with us after promotion.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

You only think we need 2 players?

Assuming Douglas and Engles we need a winger and probably a striker as a minimum. I don't think we will sign a keeper unless we shift Kalinic, in which case we will reassess the numbers. 

Even if it's 4, at the current rate £40m seems plenty. 

On 13/07/2019 at 09:21, TrentVilla said:

Why the need for such over the top and frankly incorrect statements? Savaged? Behave nothing remotely close to that happened. All people said was we needed Suso to come up with a few bargains to help the budget stretch to the number of players needed given what had been spent.

Not sure why you're so sensitive about this.

There were a few posts on the transfer thread questioning why Suso was here (including at least one saying we should get rid of him this summer). I know it wasn't the whole of VillaTalk, but I never suggested it was!?

• Like 1

A big signing could be done as a loan with a need to buy next summer. FFP is calculated over 3 years though isn't it? So we could get a lot more sorted this summer and ease off next. From a podcast episode I heard with a financial guy he said it was 3 years and we're now in year 1. Also the cost is based on the transfer fee, split over the years of the contract. So £20 fee over 4 years would show up as £5m for this season.

The risk is, we go back down and it could be a clusterfeck but at the same time, we also have a huge amount to play with if we really want to. Signing someone for £20m this summer does not show as £20m for this year if I'm understanding it correctly. Happy to be corrected. Wages are also a factor too if course. 

Edited by Wezbid

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

A big signing could be done as a loan with a need to buy next summer. FFP is calculated over 3 years though isn't it? So we could get a lot more sorted this summer and ease off next. From a podcast episode I heard with a financial guy he said it was 3 years and we're now in year 1. Also the cost is based on the transfer fee, split over the years of the contract. So £20 fee over 4 years would show up as £5m for this season.

The risk is, we go back down and it could be a clusterfeck but at the same time, we also have a huge amount to play with if we really want to. Signing someone for £20m this summer does not show as £20m for this year if I'm understanding it correctly. Happy to be corrected. Wages are also a factor too if course. 

I personally think we've stumbled on a particularly good year to go up. Burnley and Newcastle are going backwards. Norwich and Sheff Utd don't have enough money to upgrade their squads. Brighton are on borrowed time. We might not do better than all those teams, but I'd be amazed if we didn't outperform 3 of them.

And, God forbid, if we do go down, signing players in their early 20s means we should get good value if we're forced to sell any of them.

Similarly, if FFP forces us into a sale, most of our squad will only be increasing in value as they near that 25-28 peak. One big sale to a Champions League club would surely cancel out most of our spend in this window. Surely at least one of our players is going to establish himself as a £75m+ player this season, even if the team struggles.

• 3 weeks later...

"Interim Opinion" - very good on the players front.

Opinion on the organisation and planning that has gone in - given that we were promoted late, the amount of loans we had therefore requiring plans no matter what league we were in, and the speed in which we've acted - outstanding. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I will hold my applause until I see them play in the PL 

Why? He’s done his job (almost).  Look at the players brought in, I don’t think I’ve read bad comments about any of our signings.  Not about the character of the player, the cost of the player or anything.  Reading where the player has come from, most of those fans have been disappointed to lose the player.

i mean it’s all great in hindsight in 2 years time when these players have played and some are good and some are bad but unfortunately we can’t see the future.  Based on what has been brought he’s done a great great job.  

I know he’ll only be judged if they are successful but it’s crazy as I don’t think any of us can argue with what he’s done this window has been exceptional.....I just want my extra striker please

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. In the summer of 2015 there was genuine excitement after the transfer window.

Numerous players came in and for the most part we were excited by them.

We were relegated with our lowest points tally ever.

I'm not saying it's going to happen this time around, I think for a change we've got it right this year, but lets see where we are by Christmas before we go patting ourselves on the back.

• Like 1

Pitarch has embraced the Purslow/Smith philosophy and he's unearthed some gems.

The canny way that they've knitted together known players with gifted players that most of us had never heard of is a welcome pointer to the way ahead for Villa.

Bravo Suso!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. In the summer of 2015 there was genuine excitement after the transfer window.

I'm not saying it's going to happen this time around, I think for a change we've got it right this year, but lets see where we are by Christmas before we go patting ourselves on the back.

Sherwood then .... Deano now ..... I rest my case my Lord.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The players brought in were, in the main, decent.  Unfortunately there was no thought about how they might fit into a system. The difference is that now we are recruiting players who have the right skills to perform the role they were brought in to do. 

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The players brought in were, in the main, decent.  Unfortunately there was no thought about how they might fit into a system. The difference is that now we are recruiting players who have the right skills to perform the role they were brought in to do. 

Agreed, and I really hope you are right.

It's the first summer transfer window where you can see the plan and the signings fitting together.

On the pitch is where it will count though. And if it does Suso deserves all the plaudits that will come his way.

16 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

2015 we really did ‘do a Fulham’. Collected a bunch of fancy players with no plan for how to use them and seemingly no buy in from the manager. 

• Like 2

Can't complain, even if they turn out to be duds, as it stands it appears he's done a great job. We all seem to believe he's done the right thing, the club's we've bought from are disappointed to lose their players (even if some are OK with the business end of what they've got from the deal) and we have bought players that seem to fit well in the system and pretty much all of them will have resale value. Ideal.

Next bit is up to the players themselves and Team Dean

Â