Jesus Garcia Pitarch

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surprised we haven't been linked to more players from La Liga, remember in January we were linked to Rudonja from Celta Vigo and Doucoure from Levante.

Below the top 3-4 teams jn Spain the wages of many players is very low compared to premier league.

We’ve been linked with a few. I think we might sign one or two but I think they might be later in the window, I think they will look to get the key deals done first then look to add on top what they can.

• Like 1

I think after Mings it's Suso's time. If there is still not a lot coming from outside of Britain it'll be hard to see where he's bringing value. But up to now there is a case to say we were adding up Homegrown players we need.

In a full squad of 25 we need 8 Homegrown players as a minimum.

XI

Steer

Chester, Taylor

Grealish, McGinn

Bench: Lansbury, Hogan

Not sure if Bree and Davis count as they are 21, so may now count. But to be fair, both of them, Lansbury and Hogan you could make cases for leaving this summer. So potentially had 5 players over 21 and Homegrown (if we sold or loaned out some of the above)

So either we signed some British players or we didn't register a full 25-man squad. We've now added Hause, Targett and Mings so in theory we can afford to look at offers for the fringe players or let some go on loan. Will be interesting to see if we still stick to British and Championship market. I hope we dont

• Like 1

I remember reading somewhere that our criteria for signings are:

• Players who work hard for the team on and off the ball (this has been evident with all of the Smith/Suso signings so far, January included)
  • Leaders both on and off the pitch (Smith talks about how he wants the squad to be "full of captains" and personality is playing a huge part in our search for players)
  • Players who are youngish and not quite the finished product, which Smith & Co can develop and increase their value to the team and financially (Again, this is also evident in our current signings too)
  • Lastly, an important one, players need to speak English at some level (I think even Wesley can speak basic English right now, but having a language barrier will prevent players from settling quickly, which we NEED this season)

Based off this criteria, I think there is a shortlist of players identified who are available in each position of need.  I think our number 1 targets in each role are some of the best players in the Championship (Butland, Webster, Phillips, Benrahma, etc.), because they fit all of the above criteria, but we do have a number of options available from abroad if those deals don't go through.  I understand the fan base's frustration over the fact that we haven't signed 12+ players already, but we are doing a lot of business already and signing players isn't as easy as going down to the local pub and ordering a pint.  Clubs know we need a lot of players and we have money to spend, so they're playing hardball with prices right now and trying to get us to pay as much money as possible for their prized assets.  Just look at the figures getting thrown around for Mings right now.  We could have gotten him for 5-8 mil in January, because Bournemouth didn't want him anymore.  Suddenly, both Villa and the player himself are desperate to move on the back of a 4 month successful loan, and Bournemouth are quoting us a ridiculous price, something like 20-25 Million now.  I'm positive that Purslow & Suso think they can negotiate some of the prices down, so they're still playing the haggling game with our top targets, but if someone else bids for our backup target and things haven't progressed as much as they would have liked with our #1 target, they will probably pull the trigger and go for the #2.  Again, everyone needs to be patient at this point.  Nobody knows how much money our owners are willing to spend and we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.  We already have 5 signings in, which would have never happened in the Lerner years, and it sounds like there are a lot more irons in the fire.  I've never been more confident in Villa's front office team before.  Suso & Purslow have done this before at "Bigger" clubs, and this isn't their first rodeo. 

• Like 4

His role to sign players ... I see some are questioning him due the lack of continental signings but he hasn’t been employed just to sign foreign players from outside the UK. He will no doubt use his connections and make recommendations and I can see his influence growing once the spine has been sorted with a few foreign gems. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think after Mings it's Suso's time. If there is still not a lot coming from outside of Britain it'll be hard to see where he's bringing value. But up to now there is a case to say we were adding up Homegrown players we need.

In a full squad of 25 we need 8 Homegrown players as a minimum.

XI

Steer

Chester, Taylor

Grealish, McGinn

Bench: Lansbury, Hogan

Not sure if Bree and Davis count as they are 21, so may now count. But to be fair, both of them, Lansbury and Hogan you could make cases for leaving this summer. So potentially had 5 players over 21 and Homegrown (if we sold or loaned out some of the above)

So either we signed some British players or we didn't register a full 25-man squad. We've now added Hause, Targett and Mings so in theory we can afford to look at offers for the fringe players or let some go on loan. Will be interesting to see if we still stick to British and Championship market. I hope we dont

I think the logic is that in a relegation battle with a paper thin squad, we don't want to be taking punts on players who might not find their feet until halfway through the season. When we have a settled core squad, then we can be more adventurous in the transfer market.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2019 at 18:58, KentVillan said:

I think the logic is that in a relegation battle with a paper thin squad, we don't want to be taking punts on players who might not find their feet until halfway through the season. When we have a settled core squad, then we can be more adventurous in the transfer market.

To be fair we are only 1 or 2 players off that stage imo.

I agree, I want to see what Suso is actually able to do, and not forgetting oJuan Fran either.

On 07/07/2019 at 15:18, Made In Aston said:

That's debatable. Foreign players tend to take time to settle and adapt to the English game. The more you bring in at one time, the more likely it is your team will be under performing, due to the number of players trying to adapt. By the time they do, you find yourself bottom of the table with morale shot to pieces. 

Couple of our British players settled a bit too well in resent times.

Dunne, Collins, Richards, McCormack, Gabby, Lescott...

All got too comfortable and cost the club millions while offering nothing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sne said:

Couple of our British players settled a bit too well in resent times.

Dunne, Collins, Richards, McCormack, Gabby, Lescott...

All got too comfortable and cost the club millions while offering nothing.

These were all players on the downward slope of their careers. Dunne and Collins served us well initially, and Gabby wasn't even a signing.

The point is that if we sign ambitious young players with English football experience, it's more likely they'll hit the ground running than a foreign player who will face a culture shock both on and off the pitch. You really think Kalvin Phillips is just going to put his feet up after landing his first Premier League gig?

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

These were all players on the downward slope of their careers. Dunne and Collins served us well initially, and Gabby wasn't even a signing.

The point is that if we sign ambitious young players with English football experience, it's more likely they'll hit the ground running than a foreign player who will face a culture shock both on and off the pitch. You really think Kalvin Phillips is just going to put his feet up after landing his first Premier League gig?

Nope 

You think all players from abroad will automatically struggle?

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

if you look at the pure % of foreigners in the Prem, this really doesnt wash, yes "some" might have trouble settling, but overall they do just fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Nope 

You think all players from abroad will automatically struggle?

Definitely not. Benteke and Gueye found their feet quickly, for example. But I think the risk is greater, because players are human beings, and settling in a foreign country is often stressful and overwhelming, even in the pandered world of professional football.

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

if you look at the pure % of foreigners in the Prem, this really doesnt wash, yes "some" might have trouble settling, but overall they do just fine.

You're totally missing the point. Loads of foreigners perform well in the Prem, I'm not denying that. The question is whether they do it from Week 1.

On 07/07/2019 at 17:15, KMitch said:

I remember reading somewhere that our criteria for signings are:

• Players who work hard for the team on and off the ball (this has been evident with all of the Smith/Suso signings so far, January included)
  • Leaders both on and off the pitch (Smith talks about how he wants the squad to be "full of captains" and personality is playing a huge part in our search for players)
  • Players who are youngish and not quite the finished product, which Smith & Co can develop and increase their value to the team and financially (Again, this is also evident in our current signings too)
  • Lastly, an important one, players need to speak English at some level (I think even Wesley can speak basic English right now, but having a language barrier will prevent players from settling quickly, which we NEED this season)

Based off this criteria, I think there is a shortlist of players identified who are available in each position of need.  I think our number 1 targets in each role are some of the best players in the Championship (Butland, Webster, Phillips, Benrahma, etc.), because they fit all of the above criteria, but we do have a number of options available from abroad if those deals don't go through.  I understand the fan base's frustration over the fact that we haven't signed 12+ players already, but we are doing a lot of business already and signing players isn't as easy as going down to the local pub and ordering a pint.  Clubs know we need a lot of players and we have money to spend, so they're playing hardball with prices right now and trying to get us to pay as much money as possible for their prized assets.  Just look at the figures getting thrown around for Mings right now.  We could have gotten him for 5-8 mil in January, because Bournemouth didn't want him anymore.  Suddenly, both Villa and the player himself are desperate to move on the back of a 4 month successful loan, and Bournemouth are quoting us a ridiculous price, something like 20-25 Million now.  I'm positive that Purslow & Suso think they can negotiate some of the prices down, so they're still playing the haggling game with our top targets, but if someone else bids for our backup target and things haven't progressed as much as they would have liked with our #1 target, they will probably pull the trigger and go for the #2.  Again, everyone needs to be patient at this point.  Nobody knows how much money our owners are willing to spend and we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.  We already have 5 signings in, which would have never happened in the Lerner years, and it sounds like there are a lot more irons in the fire.  I've never been more confident in Villa's front office team before.  Suso & Purslow have done this before at "Bigger" clubs, and this isn't their first rodeo. 

Smith said that he interviewed Mings before he came in January so the personality aspect is clearly vital even for loan signings  - you could see how much everyone was enjoying playing for the club in the run in last season so it's obviously a big part of Smith's style. Shame we weren't as diligent as this back when we signed all the french guys in 2015 (or indeed the manager at that stage).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, villadodo said:

I think some people on this forum have a very basic misunderstanding about the nature of his role. Mainly the comments about why we are signing British based players and where is Suso with his 'foreign gems'. He is the Director of Football not a European scout. His job is to work with Purslow and Smith to come up with the style of play and profile of player we want, draw up a shortlist and go out and get them. I think the scouts are responsible for identifying individual players who fit well within that system British or not. Suso may have even decided we want to mainly target British players as they are easier to integrate into the squad. Who knows?

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Edited by Villan4Life

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes but he has a fancy name and we want more fancy names god damn it

Hopefully we land Trezeguet. That is a really fancy name. Although, he’s Egyptian, so that’s probably a Sawiris signing. 

9 hours ago, villadodo said:

I think some people on this forum have a very basic misunderstanding about the nature of his role. Mainly the comments about why we are signing British based players and where is Suso with his 'foreign gems'. He is the Director of Football not a European scout. His job is to work with Purslow and Smith to come up with the style of play and profile of player we want, draw up a shortlist and go out and get them. I think the scouts are responsible for identifying individual players who fit well within that system British or not. Suso may have even decided we want to mainly target British players as they are easier to integrate into the squad. Who knows?

I agree on this, however I think this implies that the scouting is independent to him which I don't believe is the case. Scouting is firmly under his remit, he is in control of the scouting department, the hiring of scouts and I'd imagine their assignments.

So I agree he isn't responsible for identifying individual players but he is responsible for the scouting department.

• Like 1

Â