Podcasts

The_Rev

I just don't find  Angelos Epithemiou funny.   The whole 'embarrassment by proxy' thing was a good joke when Sacha Baron Cohen was doing it with Ali G and Borat, this has always struck me as derivative and not as good. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I've discovered the Generation Why podcast. It's really interesting and looks at crimes, unsolved and those which have questions over them. If you enjoy Serial, I think you'll like this. They look at something new for each edition.

Agreed. Stopped listening to that one years ago. He is such a twonk, if he is involved in anything, I'm automatically not interested.

You'll be pleased to hear that he is also said to be a twonk by everyone who has to speak to him off air.

#ITK

• Like 4

You'll be pleased to hear that he is also said to be a twonk by everyone who has to speak to him off air.

#ITK

Not a surprise. You can hear the arrogance and contempt he has for everyone else's opinion in every sentence he speaks.

Been listening to the "No Such Thing as a Fish" podcast for a while now.

Very good and very funny. A bit geeky, it's basically interesting facts, made by the guys who run QI behind the scenes (any "Only Connect" watchers will recognise them from last series when they entered a team).

Very enjoyable.

I've all but stopped listening to it. They go for the callback far to often.

"Hey, remember that answer I gave for question two? Laugh again as I reference it in my answer for question four!"

• 3 months later...

Serial is back for series 2.

The focus this time around is Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, who, whilst posted in Afghanistan, decided to leave his post and ultimately ended up being held captive for 5 years by the Taliban, before famously being handed over to the US last year in a prisoner exchange.

It's an immediately different story to Adnan Syed's last year. There are interviews with Bergdahl but these are provided by a third party the Serial team is working with, who are in the process of making a movie about Bergdahl's story. The story apparently will go down numerous rabbit holes simply due to the nature of the story, going far wider than just Bergdahl's immediate narrative. Saying that, it's clear from the first episode that the immediate hook is 'How much of Bergdahl's story is bollocks?', in a similar vein to 'Did Adnan do it?'.

I don't think it's going to be the phenomenon the first series was but hopefully it'll be a quality listen.

• Like 1

Dan Snow's History Hit podcast seems to have started quite recently and it's very interesting, he's still in the early days and excited about it as he's quite prolific, does a segment on history relating to the news ( paris attacks, syria strikes ) etc as well as more typical historical discussions. 

Thought this thread would get bumped today with the new episode of Serial appearing. The first series was lightning in a bottle and I doubt they (or anybody else) will ever be able recreate it but they have picked an interesting story for the second series. 

I'll take this opportunity to pimp 'The Allusionist' by Helen Zaltzman. It's about language and etymology and it's delivered in a very witty manner. Delve through the archives as there are loads of great episodes.  

• Like 3

Yes I've been listening to those recently, handy 15 minute sized episodes suit me fine. Will second that recommendation. They're very useful for random shit ahead of pub quizzes too - twice in the last couple of weeks something from them has come up :thumb:

Edited by Rodders

I've become hopelessly addicted to bunch of Cave Comedy Radio podcasts, particularly Last Podcast on the Left and Abe Lincolns Top Hat. Last Podcast on the Left is a horror comedy podcast that looks into famous murderers and paranormal topics. Its hosted by 3 guys, 2 of which are comedians (one had a minor role in the Wolf of Wall Street). It's certainly, absolutely not for everyone, as the subject matter can be horrifically dark and the comedy is very American and often also as black as black gets, tinged with some incredibly childish stuff, but it can be hilarious and eye opening to some of the horrors that are committed in the world, or the absolutely barking mad stuff some people believe. Equally I've listened to some episodes and felt dirty afterwards so listener beware. Topics have ranged from 3 part discussions on the murders of HH Holmes recently, to alien abductions and associated conspiracies. Listen to the episode on the Hotel del Coronado abduction for a softer introduction if you fancy a listen. Abe Lincoln's Top Hat takes a couple of the LPOTL guys and usually a guest and discusses the state of US politics in a very populist way but can be fun.

Also for a gaming podcast recommendation, Midnight Resistance. I used to adore the dearly missed Joypod and Midnight Resistance, featuring one of the old Joypod crew, is the closest to it. 3 British guys chat games with a little of day to day life thrown in. Often bloody funny, it's not quite Joypod but nothing else really captures anything near the same feel. Avoid the recent Metal Gear special like the plague though. It's awful. Boring, and riddled with awkward and long pauses that make it exceedingly annoying to listen to.

• Like 1

Â