Podcasts

The_Rev

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No, but I will recommend the new This American Life spinoff podcast Serial.  It's basically an in depth This American Life where they take a story and go into it in depth over several weeks.  The first one is four episodes in as I type, it's about a murder in Baltimore (no, Omar didn't do it) which a lot of people thing was a miscarriage of justice.  Interesting stuff: http://serialpodcast.org/

• Like 1

Really been enjoying Stuart Goldsmith's The Comedian's Comedian podcast of late. I'm not particularly into comedians but the podcast isn't really about the funny, it's about analysing what comedy is to different people and how different comics construct their comedy. It's more of a podcast about the human psyche than anything else. Some are a bit light but some are very deep and almost like a therapy session. 

• Like 1

No, but I will recommend the new This American Life spinoff podcast Serial. It's basically an in depth This American Life where they take a story and go into it in depth over several weeks. The first one is four episodes in as I type, it's about a murder in Baltimore (no, Omar didn't do it) which a lot of people thing was a miscarriage of justice. Interesting stuff: http://serialpodcast.org/

I've listened to the first episode, and it's fascinating stuff. Really well written and produced. I can't quite shake the feeling that she is a little bit in love with Adnan.

• Like 1

It's definitely the case for the defence. Episode 4 came out today, it's the first one which felt a bit like filler. I think it might be a show which is better if you marathon it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Episode 5 was the case for the prosecution but blimey Charlie, that's not a reason for bumping the thread:

Newsnight doing a feature on a bloody podcast?! Has one of the great entertainment forms of the 21st century finally gone mainstream? 

Newsnight doing a feature on a bloody podcast?! Has one of the great entertainment forms of the 21st century finally gone mainstream? 

If I was a hipster I'd stop listening to podcasts in disgust at this news.

Nah.  Being a hipster isn't about rejecting stuff that has gone mainstream these days.  In 2014 a hipster would listen to a podcast on a reel to reel tape player. 

• 1 month later...

No, but I will recommend the new This American Life spinoff podcast Serial.  It's basically an in depth This American Life where they take a story and go into it in depth over several weeks.  The first one is four episodes in as I type, it's about a murder in Baltimore (no, Omar didn't do it) which a lot of people thing was a miscarriage of justice.  Interesting stuff: http://serialpodcast.org/

Just came on to post about this! Started last night and am hooked. Already up to episode 6!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been avidly listening to Serial. Not too sure what to make of this weeks episode, felt like the most plainly filler episode of the series, and didn't really bring that much to the table.

Next week is the final episode and I'm left wondering exactly what we're going to have got from the series. There doesn't appear to be much more to say and obviously there's no further revelation to be had. Is the show destined to be hollow navel gazing, interesting but ultimately futile?

Indeed.

Ultimately, what can the last episode say? He's not getting let off (and was never going to be) and they aren't going to end it with some revelation of who they reckon did it (even had they wanted to). At best the lawyers from 5 episodes or so back might have stumbled on a theory but even then, they can't reveal much.

Do they go meta and end it with a bait and switch about the nature of the show and it's following and the voyeuristic quality it has?

And can they really do this again? It's inevitable that people will want closure and they may not have realised they were never going to get it. Which will kill interest in this second time around.

Â