Podcasts

The_Rev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to ESPN UK's Pardon the Interruption. I wasn't sure the format would work, but Steve Bunce and Mark Chapman are developing into something approaching Wilbon and Kornheiser from the US (and original) edition. I was a bit afraid that it would be all football, but both rugbys, cricket, F1, and golf were also discussed at some level of length.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to Radiolab this week and it's absolutely fantastic. It's a science and philosophy show I guess. It gets you thinking and is very entertaining, definitely check it out.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Ok, so now the football season is over and Adam and Joe's run is about to be over, I'm in dire need of some podcasts to listen to. Is there anything new around that anyone has found?

24r4e.png

My current subscriptions. Green is topical/humour, red is sports, blue is interesting/informative. White either speaks for itself or is self indulgent pap.

Seeing as this has been bumped, a little self promo...

currently mapping out and loosely scripting something to put out as a podcast regarding a local football team that's going through the mother of all bad patches and might (just might) be closed down over the summer. Either way, it will be a funny review of 90 years of history and a proper slating of the current owner.

proving tricky to put something together that doesn't involve one of us saying something utterly legally unsound

should be out before the new season kicks off if we can get our shit together

I have said it a couple of times, but go into the archives of Hardcore History and download the Ghosts of the Ostfront podcasts. They are utterly brilliant.

I have said it a couple of times, but go into the archives of Hardcore History and download the Ghosts of the Ostfront podcasts. They are utterly brilliant.

Nice one. I'm reading Stalingrad at the moment and will check this out once I'm finished.

Stalingrad is discussed at length on the podcast actually. It's scary to think that more people died in that one battle than Britain & the commonwealth, France and the US lost during the entire war. It's fascinating seeing WWII from other points of view. At school we learned about the Blitz, the Battle of Britain and liberating France (D Day and all that) but got next to nothing about the campaigns in Africa, the Pacific or the Eastern Front, and I think the Eastern Front, the war between Germany and Russia was where the real war was happening, and that is an incredible thing to have to say when you consider the impact WW2 had on other areas of the world. The numbers involved on the Eastern Front are just mind boggling though. I guess what Hitler didn't figure out is that he would run out of bullets before Russia ran out of men.

Holy shit, the final Hardcore History podcast in the Death throes of the Republic (about Rome's transition from a Republic to an Empire) has just gone up and its a whopping five hours and twenty seven minutes long. :shock:

The whole run (five parts) clocks in at more than eleven and a half hours. Quite incredible that such interesting and informative content is available on the internet for free. Damn I love podcasts. :nod:

• 3 weeks later...
Holy shit, the final Hardcore History podcast in the Death throes of the Republic (about Rome's transition from a Republic to an Empire) has just gone up and its a whopping five hours and twenty seven minutes long. :shock:

The whole run (five parts) clocks in at more than eleven and a half hours. Quite incredible that such interesting and informative content is available on the internet for free. Damn I love podcasts. :nod:

How awesome was the sixth and final episode?! The stories of Caesar's rise and death were fantastic. Such colour and detail. I'm going back and listening through all six episodes again.

The Ghosts of the Ostfront series was superb. If you haven't listened to it, you should! It'll change your perspective of the Second World War, make you rethink what you were taught in history lessons at school, and make you question how anything so utterly revolting could ever take place.

I'm loving The Bugle at the moment, too. Although it's part of The Times, they're really laying the boot into Murdoch.

Aye, more amazing stuff from The Bugle on the phone hax this week. The basically spent the first twenty minutes of the show this week and most of the show last week doing this (NSFW) :lol:

• 1 month later...

I rarely bump this thread link to individual episodes of podcasts, but I have two this week!

This American Life: The Super

Radiolab: Games.

I really enjoyed the episode of This American Life. It was a rebroadcast of one from early 2007, but it was new to me as I have only subscribed for about two years. Three stories involving people who live in blocks of flats and their landlords. For 45 minutes it is great, though the final story is a bit bland after the brilliance of the first two.

The Radiolab episode is a bunch of theories as to why we love sports, and that the reasons are pretty common amongst us even if the sports/games are different. It focuses a lot on Basketball and even Chess, both things I dont really care for but I was gripped.

• 5 months later...

Anyone else listened to this yet?

I know we have a thread somewhere for Pod's. but this bad boy is so damn good I thought it deserving of it's own thread. It's about a Zombie apocalypse taking place in current day LA, following the survivors on their various travels. I didn't expect that much despite good reviews. You know how recommended shite almost always disappoints.

I listened to the whole back catalogue in 3 days. Riveting.

Go listen. Be wary of spoilers

Â