Podcasts

The_Rev

That Pilkington chap is kind of the nauses

He's a genius who just happens to be living in the wrong time 8)

No, he's an act. A very obvious, very simple and very tiresome act.

If you mean act in the literal sense then boy oh boy, I'm going to be angry

Okay guys thanks for the suggestions.

Let's say I have the Football Weekly podcast, does it automatically upload to my iTunes each week (and thus automatically upload to iPod during sync..)?

I ask because when I am away from a constant internet connection it'd be nice to just get online shortly, long enough to check email, etc and get a new podcast or two to listen to...

Kinda like what AOL used to do in the dialup days, like a flash email check, or what was it called? When you got on the internet for a very brief time to get updates and then logoff??

Okay guys thanks for the suggestions.

Let's say I have the Football Weekly podcast, does it automatically upload to my iTunes each week (and thus automatically upload to iPod during sync..)?

I ask because when I am away from a constant internet connection it'd be nice to just get online shortly, long enough to check email, etc and get a new podcast or two to listen to...

Kinda like what AOL used to do in the dialup days, like a flash email check, or what was it called? When you got on the internet for a very brief time to get updates and then logoff??

Yeah, just subscribe to it and it'll download automatically when it goes online. Just make sure you have your preferences in Itunes set up to sync the podcast and you'll be fine.

How's the tooth Cousens? :D

It's a good podcast man, although a little longer than usual so had to spread it over a couple of car journeys, but good variation in riddims, and the 'sketchyness' of the operation adds to the charm. Good skillz.

• 1 month later...

Loving The Football Ramble atm, awesome podcast, very 'blokey', but very funny and also a good profile at the end. They profiled McGrath last week

It's clearly an act. Sorry chaps.
Do you mean you think he's an actor?

It's not an act. Clearly he plays up to it a bit, but apart from that its genuine.

He really was just their producer/editor on their XFM show who they gradually started giving air time on the show and was comedy gold.

As Gervais himself has said, if it was a character they'd created they'd created they wouldn't have wasted it on an XFM radio show.

IF he is an actor and it's all an act, then fair play to him, because it's **** hilarious, regardless.

(On a side note, the animated series of the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts starts tomorrow night on Channel 4)

Loving The Football Ramble atm, awesome podcast, very 'blokey', but very funny and also a good profile at the end. They profiled McGrath last week

I'll echo this. It is a bit blokey but they really do know their football too. Football Weekly aside, this is the benchmark IMO.

• 1 month later...
The guy is about as funny as cancer. That League of their own is a shit show and a rip-off of They Think Its All Over.

Better off bringing back Fantasy Football

This.

I think Frank Skinner has reached the point in his career where he can just take a month off and go to the World Cup instead of having to work through it. He said on his (excellent) show Opinionated that he was off to South Africa.

He went out to Germany too, him and Baddiel put out a few podcasts and they were fantastic. It would be great to have Fantasy Football back but I dont think Skinner and Baddiel want to do it any more (certainly on a regular basis) so we just have to make do with fond memories. Hopefully there will be some cool stuff come from Skinner on the internet again though.

Huzzah!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Smodcast in this thread yet.

It's basically Kevin Smith (Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, etc) and his buddy, sitting around, clearly stoned, talking crap to each other for an hour. It's very California-centric and can be downright filthy but it's generally pretty funny too.

I'd say Jersey-centric, but the point stands. Good show too.

Oops - my bad. I just listened to an episode where they were talking about where they grew up in Highland and I presumed it was LA.

Has he talked about how chronic (pun intended) his new movie is? As bad as Jersey Girl? not quite, but shite all the same. Very disappointed.

Not seen it but from what I've heard, it's pretty poor.

Think he's a bit sensitive about it though:

Director Kevin Smith has unleashed a furious rant at critics after his new film Cop Out received a flurry of negative reviews - insisting he'd rather see members of the public give their opinion instead of "nasty" movie experts.

The comedy, starring Bruce Willis as a New York police officer, was released last month and has been slated by reviewers, with many claiming the movie is let down by a weak script, lackluster jokes and a contrived plot. Smith is fuming about the unflattering comments, insisting he feels like his film has been "bullied" - and has vowed to force critics to pay to review his movies from now on.

In a series of posts on his Twitter.com page, he writes, "I gotta say that every day I hate film theory & film students & critics more & more. Film fandom's become a nasty bloodsport where cartoonishly rooting for failure gets the hit count up. Watching them beat the s**t out of it was sad. Like, it's called Cop Out; that sound like a very ambitious title to you? You REALLY wanna s**t in the mouth of a flick that so OBVIOUSLY strived for nothing more than laughs. Was it called Schindler's Cop Out? Writing a nasty review for Cop Out is akin to bullying a retarded kid. All you've done is make fun of something that wasn't doing you any harm and wanted only to give some cats some fun laughs."

And the experience has convinced Smith the system is "backwards" - he'd prefer to turn the job of reviewing movies over to members of the public.

He adds, "Realized whole system's upside down: so we let a bunch of people see it for free & they s**t all over it? Meanwhile, people who'd REALLY like to see the flick for free are made to pay? Bulls**t: from now on, any flick I'm ever involved with, I conduct critics screenings thusly: you wanna see it early to review it? Fine: pay like you would if you saw it next week. Why am I giving an arbitrary 500 people power over what I do at all, let alone for free? Next flick, I'd rather pick 500 randoms from Twitter & let THEM see it for free in advance, then post THEIR opinions, good AND bad. Same difference. Why's their opinion more valid? It's a backwards system."

I'm a massive fan of Smith but it was very poor. Yes, I know he was trying to do his very own version of an 80's buddy cop movie but it was just unfunny (Sean William Scott was the highlight). Maybe he needs to spend less time on Twitter and more time writing a decent script next time.

Anyway, back on-topic...

Yeah he didn't write Cop Out, think its the first time he has directed something he hasn't written himself.

Also had various disagreements with Willis, clash of egos.

• 1 month later...

New Hardcore History out! :hooray:

Possibly the best podcast out there I think. It's not just light fluff, its as good (if not better than) serious documentaries. The link I posted takes you to quite a few of the shows, the Ghosts of the Ostfront series of shows are utterly spellbinding. The Punic Nightmares series and Apache Tears episode are fantastic too. In fact, all the ones on a subject are great (the interview ones, not so much) and the new one is about the decline of Rome. Hopefully it's a good one. :D

Â