Podcasts

The_Rev

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As a new episode has just gone live, may I recommend A life well wasted which really is a labour of love. It advertises itself as "a podcast about videogames and the people who love them" but they really are human interest stories. Its about people who do crazy shit in the name of a hobby rather than a geek out about the hobby itself. A collection of well edited stories and music, which owes more than a passing nod to the excellent This American Life, but given that it is essentially the work of one guy and a tape recorder rather than a massive corporation it really is astonishing.

You should check out both. This American Life is fantastic too.

I've recently discovered the Ricky Gervais guide to... audio books. I guess they're not strictly podcasts, but they're pretty much the same thing.

Anyway, I'm not a massive Gervais fan but these are absolutely hilarious.

If I can get my head round the technology there may be, just may be an attempt at a weekly music podcast from..............me, in the new year. Working title, the sonic screwdriver (hopefully that will change)

But in the meantime here's one by an old mate of mine which anyone with a keen interest in music (with a very broad spectrum of taste) should find enjoyable - The Sound of Music. It really does go up, down, left and right, blues reggae, electronic, pop, rock, you name it, Sir Bernard Connor brings you a fine 90 min(ish) podcast every single week

And of course, This American Life's Ira Glass is a noted Howard Stern superfan....

One thing that This American Life has strengthened my belief in is that if you put the word "America" or "American" in your product on that side of the pond then it will do better/sell more. I know still they make you guys swear allegiance to the flag on a daily basis, but seriously, liking a product or movie more because it says the name of your country? :?

A lot of the stories in the show are international though. Shit, a couple of weeks ago they had a twenty minute section about some people from Cornwall!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Frank Skinner has one for his Radio Show, which is ok, if you can block out the two cretins that present it with him.

Any more suggesitions other than the above, patricularly news/technology/science podcasts?

Thanks

Really enjoyed this for the first few weeks but as you say, the two co-presenters are cringe-worthy and the woman in the background (presumably the producer) who cackles with laughter every time Skinner says anything is supremely annoying.

Used to love Frank in the good old days but he just doesn't seem on the money in this show. Seems to be mostly jokes that are trying to be clever (constant A.E. Housman references) or really poor "Dad-jokes". A lot of his guests seem somewhat bemused throughout too.

yeh the new ricky gervais karl pilkington guides to are some of the best they have ever done, even up there with the old xfm shows, I don't honestly think their is anything more interesting or funny out their in audio form, brilliant!

Absolutely this.

After my post above I got obsessed with them and I think I've listend to every podcast they've done, including the best of the XFM show.

I could listen to them all day, pure brilliance.

As I said above, I'm not a massive Ricky Gervais fan. Love the office but don't find his standup that funny and get annoyed by the constant "arrogant big shot" act that he puts on for comedy effect.

BUt the podcasts are genius.

Â