Hogwarts Legacy

Chindie

Set in the 19th Century (1800’s) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power. Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins o brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny – the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES

• Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types
  • Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding
  • world.Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
  • Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time., Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
  • Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films

Press Start

Hmm.

I dunno what to make of this. In some ways I can see this being real, in others there's things that don't quite seem right.

WB making a major Harry Potter game isn't surprising. The licence has been fairly under utilised, with no major title released in years. WB could do with another franchise series - they've mostly had the Lego games keeping them going in the past couple of years or so with their major studios being quiet. Their last tentpole release was Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (which they **** up). Rocksteady haven't released anything in 3 years, Netherrealm have taken their time with MKXI and look like they're dropping out of their usual 2 year April release cycle. So Harry Potter sticks out line a sore thumb as something they could run with.

They also have a studio, Avalanche Software, that they picked up last year that hasn't done anything major for them since then. Rocksteady have been silent since Arkham Knight (VR game aside), rumoured to have been working on a Superman and/or Justice League game, but nothing ever confirmed. There were rumours that they didn't want to do another superhero game and we keen to leave DC behind.

So it'd be no shock of its real.

But... The leak hasn't been pulled down, which seems odd. And I don't think it quite looks right somehow. It would likely still be early in production if Avalanche were making it, of course, but some of the animation looks quite stilted (it reminds me of the Sims in some ways) while some of the effects look near finished. The UI looks weird, really old fashioned, with the spells in the corner looking like something I'd expect of a game 20 years ago.

I don't think Rocksteady is behind this. I'm leaning towards it being real, but I think that that video is more mock up/proof of concept than actual gameplay. My guess, Avalanche production aiming for Christmas 2019 release.

Has potential though. I'm not a Harry Potter fan but there's scope to make a decent game of it all.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what this is. I'll say first that this is somewhat convincing, but I'm not 100% convinced that this is real. I was "convinced" up until 0:37 in that trailer. Up until then I saw a game with average visuals, animation and gameplay and then it changed. The animations were still stiff though the destruction, the physics and the particles felt out of place in something that had been so average up until that point. Why does a game that has middling visuals suddenly have best in class destruction and particle physics? It just feels like this is a video made to look like a game rather than a game that actually exists. Now I could be wrong and maybe there is still a lot of work they need to do, but visually that trailer was all over the place and that was obvious to see even with the potato camera.

Also I hate that there an Avalanche Studios and an Avalanche Software. At a glance @Chindie when you said "Avalanche Software haven't been up to much" I was thinking.. "Hold up they are making Just Cause 4, RAGE 2 and Generation Zero right now", but then I realised that there are two Avalanches in gaming. 

32 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Blocked now.

That'll be confirmation then.

I still think it's basically a mock up, proof of concept animation.  It doesn't quite look right as said.

• 3 years later...

State of Play on Thursday will show gameplay for Hogwarts Legacy for the first time. 

The show will run for about 20 minutes, featuring over 14 minutes of Hogwarts Legacy gameplay captured on PS5, and concluding with some insight from a few members of the team at Avalanche Software who are bringing the Wizarding World to life.

From the PlayStation blog

The thing will be nickel and dimed to **** and it's lining the pockets of a billionaire with a grudge against a minority community.

In other words this game would need to pay me to go near it with a bargepole.

• Like 1

Well, I'm impressed. At the very least it seems to have taken the best bits of the two best Harry Potter games - Chamber of Secrets and Order of the Phoenix - but dialled everything up to make it appear truly next gen. 

Also kind of shocking to see how much of an open world it is, and that it didn't just mean Hogwarts and it's grounds. 

• Like 3

A lot of the game looks good. That said I would have liked to see the UI during the combat as it's very difficult to see how it works.

• Is it lock on?
  • Is it partially turn-based?
  • Are they doing combos with the face buttons to tweak the element of the spell?
  • Is this Arkham Asylum style combat?
  • How does it work?

The player looked relatively locked to the ground in almost all of the combat which has me asking questions. Most of the game looks great, but if the combat is lacking then every dungeon, cave and exploration endeavour will feel worse than it should. 

Hopefully some footage with the HUD appears between now and its launch. Everything else looks awesome though, I am very surprised at how big this game appears to be. 

• 8 months later...
15 hours ago, hogso said:

Delayed on last gen consoles and Switch, in other words, it will run like utter ass on anything other than PS5, Series X and PC. 

Meh, but better they get it right than rush it through, plus Ive got The Witcher and Ragnarok to get through first.

*edit, misread it is still coming in Feb for current gen

Edited by jim

• 3 weeks later...

As there has been a bump to this thread, although the below is a fairly old trailer now, it is of interest to PS5 owners if you haven't already seen it

Looks like the game makes proper use of Haptic feedback. Astrobot remains the only game to make good use of it that I have played, and although I had heard that the next gen update for Witcher 3 made good use of it too, my experience of it is literally just environmental specific vibration. That's it. 

Also, colours matching your house, COOL~!

• Thanks 1

Â