');
Sign in to follow this  
Chindie

Harry Potter RPG

Set in the 19th Century (1800’s) Wizarding World, this 3rd person open-world action RPG game centers around your character with unique abilities who has eared a late acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

You are a newly arrived 5th year student to Hogwarts that demonstrates a latent gift for magic with a unique ability to track and identify remnants of a pottant ancient power. Upon arrival, strange events begin to materialize In the Forbidden Forrest and trouble begins o brew within the castle walls. Together with Professor Elezar Fig, you embark on a journey through both familiar and never before seen locations to bring to light the truth behind these mysterious occurrences.

On your quest you will craft potions, master new spells, and discover fantastical beasts. You will battle Dark Wizards, Goblins, and other supernatural enemies and uncover the truth about your destiny – the Fate of the Wizarding World lies in your hands.

FEATURES

• Journey to Hogwarts to become one of 8 different Wizard types
  • Experience Hogwarts, make new friends, uncover new secrets, and change the fate of the Wizarding
  • world.Experience a new magic system that creates countless possibilities to master magic.
  • Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time., Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.
  • Create your own witch or wizard, and experience a all new story separate from the books or films

Press Start

Hmm.

I dunno what to make of this. In some ways I can see this being real, in others there's things that don't quite seem right.

WB making a major Harry Potter game isn't surprising. The licence has been fairly under utilised, with no major title released in years. WB could do with another franchise series - they've mostly had the Lego games keeping them going in the past couple of years or so with their major studios being quiet. Their last tentpole release was Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (which they **** up). Rocksteady haven't released anything in 3 years, Netherrealm have taken their time with MKXI and look like they're dropping out of their usual 2 year April release cycle. So Harry Potter sticks out line a sore thumb as something they could run with.

They also have a studio, Avalanche Software, that they picked up last year that hasn't done anything major for them since then. Rocksteady have been silent since Arkham Knight (VR game aside), rumoured to have been working on a Superman and/or Justice League game, but nothing ever confirmed. There were rumours that they didn't want to do another superhero game and we keen to leave DC behind.

So it'd be no shock of its real.

But... The leak hasn't been pulled down, which seems odd. And I don't think it quite looks right somehow. It would likely still be early in production if Avalanche were making it, of course, but some of the animation looks quite stilted (it reminds me of the Sims in some ways) while some of the effects look near finished. The UI looks weird, really old fashioned, with the spells in the corner looking like something I'd expect of a game 20 years ago.

I don't think Rocksteady is behind this. I'm leaning towards it being real, but I think that that video is more mock up/proof of concept than actual gameplay. My guess, Avalanche production aiming for Christmas 2019 release.

Has potential though. I'm not a Harry Potter fan but there's scope to make a decent game of it all.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what this is. I'll say first that this is somewhat convincing, but I'm not 100% convinced that this is real. I was "convinced" up until 0:37 in that trailer. Up until then I saw a game with average visuals, animation and gameplay and then it changed. The animations were still stiff though the destruction, the physics and the particles felt out of place in something that had been so average up until that point. Why does a game that has middling visuals suddenly have best in class destruction and particle physics? It just feels like this is a video made to look like a game rather than a game that actually exists. Now I could be wrong and maybe there is still a lot of work they need to do, but visually that trailer was all over the place and that was obvious to see even with the potato camera.

Also I hate that there an Avalanche Studios and an Avalanche Software. At a glance @Chindie when you said "Avalanche Software haven't been up to much" I was thinking.. "Hold up they are making Just Cause 4, RAGE 2 and Generation Zero right now", but then I realised that there are two Avalanches in gaming. 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Freely explore the Wizarding World for the first time., Choose your house and friends at Hogwarts, and decide to pursue a path of good or evil.

But that's...that's not how it works..😐

32 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Blocked now.

That'll be confirmation then.

I still think it's basically a mock up, proof of concept animation.  It doesn't quite look right as said.

Has been rumoured for an awfully long time, I'm surprised something (approaching) concrete has taken this long to appear. 

Sign in to follow this