Elon Musk

sne

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Knew I’d heard the name Tesla before. I was watching a programme on this scientist dude called Tesla, on the docs channel last week. I think they named it Tesla, in honour of the scientist. 

:detect:

54 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Knew I’d heard the name Tesla before. I was watching a programme on this scientist dude called Tesla, on the docs channel last week. I think they named it Tesla, in honour of the scientist. 

Correct.

Tesla did loads of things mainly things with alternating current, he was a contemporary/rival of Edison. 

He was played by David Bowie in the film “The Prestige”.

Tesla is better than Edison because of the plasma ball. My biggest disappointment in Maplin closing down is that I can’t go in and press my finger against the glass of one of their display items and pretend I’m being electrocuted.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I like him, a lot. 

Me too. 

He is a bit of a knob and the whole calling that cave-diver out as a nonce thing was off, but other than that he seems pretty visionary to me. 

Personally, I think you have to be a bit 'different' to be a real game changer, because you have to push against the norm and put up with everyone telling you it can't be done etc etc. You have to carve your own path. 

I'm quite surprised at the hate to be honest ?‍♂️

The whole SEC thing was a bit of a joke imo, they've jumped on him to protect the people gambling with shares, not genuine long term investors. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Me too. 

He is a bit of a knob and the whole calling that cave-diver out as a nonce thing was off, but other than that he seems pretty visionary to me. 

Personally, I think you have to be a bit 'different' to be a real game changer, because you have to push against the norm and put up with everyone telling you it can't be done etc etc. You have to carve your own path. 

I'm quite surprised at the hate to be honest ?‍♂️

The whole SEC thing was a bit of a joke imo, they've jumped on him to protect the people gambling with shares, not genuine long term investors. 

Securities fraud is securities fraud at the end of the day.

• Like 1

He's an opportunistic, money hoarding rocket polisher who craves attention. Prevents his workers from unionizing which should tell you all you need to know about him.

That whole Thailand fiasco was embarrassing. Built a little submarine that was never going to work just to put his name in the papers, then calls one of the actual rescuers a pedophile for daring to point that out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

He's an opportunistic, money hoarding rocket polisher who craves attention. Prevents his workers from unionizing which should tell you all you need to know about him.

That whole Thailand fiasco was embarrassing. Built a little submarine that was never going to work just to put his name in the papers, then calls one of the actual rescuers a pedophile for daring to point that out. 

I have read loads on the bloke, cant say ive got that opinion of him at all.

Id say money hoarding is probably the furthest thing from how he operates, but then i dont know him personally.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I have read loads on the bloke, cant say ive got that opinion of him at all.

Id say money hoarding is probably the furthest thing from how he operates, but then i dont know him personally.

He's not really much different in that regard to other billionaires tbh. He just happens to be a massive asshole on top of all of that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's not really much different in that regard to other billionaires tbh. He just happens to be a massive asshole on top of all of that.

I think he maybe on the spectrum (IMO), nothing wrong with that , but it may hinder his ability to be a people person.

Im not trying to make excuses for him but to have a mind like his is not normal, hes very calculated. However its this that makes him so good at what he does.

As the saying goes 'no ones perfect'.

Just now, Spoony said:

The bloke’s just a Representative for Wellingborough and I hope he ends up in prison so I don’t have to put up with him anymore (which I’m pretty confident he will). 

Is this “autocorrect” new??? Representative of Wellingborough??

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Is this “autocorrect” new??? Representative of Wellingborough??

:D

That was my reaction too.

Google “Peter Bone MP Brexit Queen” and you’ll find it’s quite apt.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Thanks 2

I really like the things that Musk has tried to do/is doing. Electric Cars, Space X & Solar Power (His company delivered free self contained solar systems to the hurricane victims in Puerto Rico.)

He's annoyed me in the last few months because he's made the Tesla stock price drop (selfishly lol), but essentially he's a very quirky, borderline genius who has been very succesful. His work ethic is pretty astounding and he is very unkind to his employees who don't share it. Probably a shit head to work for, he has had long term working relationships with people but when they have broken down he has just stopped talking to them.

His take on why we should go to Mars is very interesting and all tied into the Fermi Paradox. He believes that we should  essentially make a facsimile of human life on another planet because eventually this planet will get wiped out.

I believe there is only one authorized biography of him out there which he granted interviews for. I read it a few years ago and it gives a fairly balanced view of him. You can also read the Wait But Why blog about him which is a good read.

For now I'll put this here, which I think most would have to admit is pretty damn cool.

I don't really have an opinion on him as a person either way, simply because I don't know that much.

Some on the things his companies has achieved are pretty amazing, especially as they are not behemoths like his competitors.

The clip above a perfect example.

He does from the outside thou seem to have come a bit unhinged of late. And perhaps the rock star life style with too much drugs and attention isn't the best for running massive companies.

He's basically done a reverse Jay-Z in having his rock star period with drugs and models when he's middle aged while Jay-Z did all that when he was a kid and is now a serious business mogul.

It's like nost popular things innit?

1. unknown

2. a little bit known, he does cool things so he's really popular with those few that know him

3. fame spreads, profile increases, WOW ROCKETS!!

4. Appears in popular TV show mocking himself, haha he funny. 

5. Over population and saturation in media

6. Dirt gets dug up

7. Calls a bloke a paedo when he shouldn't

8. It's now popular to "hate" him. 

For what it's worth, I think some of the stuff he's done is absolutely amazing.  I don't care how or where he got his money, but he appears to do cool stuff with it.  He shouldn't have called the bloke a paedo.  He smoked pot, I don't care.

• Thanks 1

Â