Pre-Match thread

John

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

A must-lose game. 

No such thing.

If we win and play well great, hopefully it's the turning point for both the team and Bruce (I very much doubt this will happen).

If we win and play poorly not so great but it's 3 points on the board. You would then hope that the board are acnowledging the poor performances.

We are supporting Aston Villa, not Steve Bruce. Come the end of the season 3 points could be the difference between promotion and another season in this division.

It's the Rotherham game all over again. SB needs a win but I don't think it will be enough to save him. He needs to realise that the backline isn't working. Nyland getting a lot of stick but the consistently terrible Hutton escapes any criticism. 

I think this will be the best we can hope for from SB:

Nyland

Elmo Chester Tuan Taylor

Hourihane

Bolaise McGinn Grealish ElGazhi

Abraham

This has shit 1-1 written all over it. 

I don’t think these are as bad as their league position suggests. Potential banana skin for Brucey Boy. 

I think he’s gone regardless of results in the next 2, I’d take 2 scrappy wins with no style and Bruce getting the bullet due to underperformance of the whole squad. Too much to ask?

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Small crowd anticipated tonight

It's been strange so far this season - evening games have been quiet but Saturday afternoons are very near to selling out - it'll be interesting to see how that changes as the season progresses.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's been strange so far this season - evening games have been quiet but Saturday afternoons are very near to selling out - it'll be interesting to see how that changes as the season progresses.

It could be strange or it could be that evening games are all on telly and Saturday games at 3pm aren't. 

What I would go with 

Nyland 

Elmo Chester Tuanzebe Hutton 

McGinn

Hourihane        Grealish

El Ghazi                    Bolasie

Abraham 

It genuinely pains me to pick Nyland and Tuanzebe in that side but there you go. I'm going with Axel despite his horrendous performance against Bristol just in sheer hope that he'd be better at CB and not worse than Jedinak which at this stage seems kind of impossible but also maybe possible. 

Trying to read Brucey's mind I think this is what we will see. 

Nyland

Tuanzebe  Chester Jedinak Hutton 

Elmo McGinn   Whelan   Taylor

Grealish  Bree. 

This will be the starting team and formation but obviously we will continuously rotate the players and shape every 10 mins until we hit upon something that works. For a bit anyway. 

Expected score? I fancy a 2-2 tonight. Not sure if it'll be them or us with the late equaliser. 

Edited by villaglint

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

It could be strange or it could be that evening games are all on telly and Saturday games at 3pm aren't. 

But I think Saturday 3pm attendances are quite a bit up on last season - that might be wrong, but it seems to me that Saturday's are selling better than at any time since we went down. Evening attendance are about where you'd expect them to be I think.

I think there's a big choice for Bruce tonight.

He likes two different things, I don't think they work together. I think he'll need to choose which of them he wants most.

Either Both Kodjia and Abraham up front or Grealish, McGinn and Hourihane together in midfield.

Or he could carry on trying to shoehorn all five into a clearly unbalanced side. He would that would he?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But I think Saturday 3pm attendances are quite a bit up on last season - that might be wrong, but it seems to me that Saturday's are selling better than at any time since we went down. Evening attendance are about where you'd expect them to be I think.

Might be that people watching us play more regularly is giving them a bigger appetite for getting to the games that they would otherwise miss. 

I realise that sentence makes no sense whatsoever but there you go.  

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Valid point.  Midweek games at home have been very flat at vp.  There doesn't seem to be as good atmsophere as the weekend.

I think the poor football isnt helping and is sucking a lot out if the fans. 

In be suprised if its over 28k tonight

51 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

My theory on the Saturday attendances so far -

Wigan - first home game of the season, on the back of a win on the opening day with Hutton scoring. Feel good factor present.

Reading - despite already seeing a couple of shoddy performances, this game follows the midweek Brentford game. Feel good factor back again.

Sheffield Wednesday - witnessed a few more dubious performances since the triumph of the Brentford draw, but this game follows on a few days after the scintillating-shut-the-doubters-up-once-and-for-all victory against the mighty Rotherham. We’re only ever going to feel good from here on in.

Anyway, had another look at tonight. Around 7,400 tickets remaining.