Contracts (Squad list)

Hornso

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

With the first part of the window closed, a good time to evaluate our squad and see where we stand with the 25 man rule:

GK: Martinez, Heaton, Steer, Kalinic

DEF: Mings, Konsa, Engels, Hause, Targett, Taylor, Cash, Elmohammady, Guilbert

MID: Luiz*, Nakamba, McGinn, Hourihane, Barkley, Lansbury, Ramsey*

WING: Grealish, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Traore

FWD: Watkins, Wesley, Davis*

*Not including the U21s I make that 25 so you can see why Jota and Nyland were released

Are David and Luiz still classed are U21? I know they are both 22, Ramsey is 20 if all 3 don’t need to be registered then it a 23 man squad

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Are David and Luiz still classed are U21? I know they are both 22, Ramsey is 20 if all 3 don’t need to be registered then it a 23 man squad

Yeah, apparently they look at the age of the player 1st January in the calendar year which makes no sense, but that's how it works 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Junxs said:

With the first part of the window closed, a good time to evaluate our squad and see where we stand with the 25 man rule:

*Not including the U21s I make that 25 so you can see why Jota and Nyland were released

Makes a difference seeing it like this, @Junxs. Thank you for posting it.

Compared to the year we came up, it's night and day. Just goes to show we're making progress:

Kalinik
Steer
Nyland

Chester
Taylor
Elmohamady
De Laet
Bree

Hourihane
McGinn
Lansbury
Bjarnason
Tshibola
Grealish

McCormack
Kodjia
Hogan
Adomah
Davis

Green

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Junxs said:

24 not including the u21s surely?

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Makes a difference seeing it like this, @Junxs. Thank you for posting it.

Compared to the year we came up, it's night and day. Just goes to show we're making progress:

Kalinik
Steer
Nyland

Chester
Taylor
Elmohamady
De Laet
Bree

Hourihane
McGinn
Lansbury
Bjarnason
Tshibola
Grealish

McCormack
Kodjia
Hogan
Adomah
Davis

Green

At the rate we are moving at ahead of our plans, can't wait for our glorious future to unfold (touches wood).

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me where to get a list of contract expiry dates and in particular, whose contracts will expire next summer. Will be interesting, for me, to look at that squad list minus players that will be out of contract next summer. 

I presume we will be seeing the last of the old regime leaving and will be interesting to see what the recruitment team will be looking at for next year. We can keep an eye on who performs well this year and perhaps look at targets as the season progresses! 

Also, I'm going to say it now, I can seriously see us signing Barkley on a permanent next year if this loan goes well. He really seemed to be happy the other day, I've never seen the guy smile so much. Regular gametime, a bit of love from teammates and supporters and I don't think he would want to go back to being 5th choice in a Chelsea squad.

2 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Can anyone tell me where to get a list of contract expiry dates and in particular, whose contracts will expire next summer. Will be interesting, for me, to look at that squad list minus players that will be out of contract next summer. 

I presume we will be seeing the last of the old regime leaving and will be interesting to see what the recruitment team will be looking at for next year. We can keep an eye on who performs well this year and perhaps look at targets as the season progresses! 

Also, I'm going to say it now, I can seriously see us signing Barkley on a permanent next year if this loan goes well. He really seemed to be happy the other day, I've never seen the guy smile so much. Regular gametime, a bit of love from teammates and supporters and I don't think he would want to go back to being 5th choice in a Chelsea squad.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/aston-villa/berateruebersicht/verein/405

• Thanks 1

Transfermarkt is usually a good place to look. Not 100% accurate but pretty good.

# Player Nat. Contract expires Agent
Conor Hourihane Conor Hourihane
Central Midfield
Ireland -  
Bertrand Traoré Bertrand Traoré
Right Winger
Burkina Faso - ISM Int. Soccer Mgmt. GmbH
Henri Lansbury Henri Lansbury
Central Midfield
England 30.06.2021  
Ahmed Elmohamady Ahmed Elmohamady
Right-Back
Egypt 30.06.2021 no agent
Neil Taylor Neil Taylor
Left-Back
Wales 30.06.2021 New Era Global Sports
Kortney Hause Kortney Hause
Centre-Back
England
Bermuda
30.06.2022 Coda Independent Sports
Tom Heaton Tom Heaton
Goalkeeper
England 30.06.2023 10Ten Football
Lovre Kalinic Lovre Kalinic
Goalkeeper
Croatia 30.06.2023 Pharos Sport Agency
Jed Steer Jed Steer
Goalkeeper
England
Scotland
30.06.2023 Stellar Football Ltd
Anwar El Ghazi Anwar El Ghazi
Right Winger
Netherlands
Morocco
30.06.2023 Gestifute
Trezeguet Trezeguet
Left Winger
Egypt 30.06.2023 DW Sports Management
Matt Targett Matt Targett
Left-Back
England
Scotland
30.06.2023 Straight Ace Sports
Frédéric Guilbert Frédéric Guilbert
Right-Back
France 30.06.2023 Wonder Sports
Ezri Konsa Ezri Konsa
Centre-Back
England
DR Congo
30.06.2023 Stellar Football Ltd
Douglas Luiz Douglas Luiz
Defensive Midfield
Brazil 30.06.2023 Carlos Leite
Emiliano Martínez Emiliano Martínez
Goalkeeper
Argentina 30.06.2024  
John McGinn John McGinn
Central Midfield
Scotland 30.06.2024  
Björn Engels Björn Engels
Centre-Back
Belgium 30.06.2024 SportPlus Football Management
Tyrone Mings Tyrone Mings
Centre-Back
England
Barbados
30.06.2024 Wasserman
Marvelous Nakamba Marvelous Nakamba
Defensive Midfield
Zimbabwe 30.06.2024 DW Sports Management
Wesley Wesley
Centre-Forward
Brazil 30.06.2024 Football Capital
Keinan Davis Keinan Davis
Centre-Forward
England 30.06.2024 Base Soccer Agency Ltd
Jack Grealish Jack Grealish 
Left Winger
England
Ireland
30.06.2025 Stellar Football Ltd
Ollie Watkins Ollie Watkins
Centre-Forward
England 30.06.2025 Two Touch Agency
Matty Cash Matty Cash
Right-Back
England
Poland
30.06.2025 Simply Sport Management Ltd
Ross Barkley Ross Barkley
Central Midfield
England 31.05.2021 Wasserman

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/berateruebersicht/verein/405

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Aston_Villan4 and @sne. Going by that, Elmo, Taylor and Lansbury will all leave. And, depending on what happens with guilbert, only Taylor leaving would need someone bringing in to play in that position.

I think next year's priority will be LB, hopefully one good enough to see targett become back up. I also think CM will be a priority depending on what happens with Barkley and Luiz. If they both stay then we will be set in those positions. 

Then, it'll be strength in depth at CB and perhaps a new winger. We've obviously come a long way in 2 years, but there's still work to be done. 

Another question, when does hourihanes contract run too? It doesn't say on there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Another question, when does hourihanes contract run too? It doesn't say on there.

From what I can find he signed a 2 year extension last year so that contract would end next summer. But I'm not sure that is correct.

Might be missing it but not finding any actual details on the new deal

• Like 1

Thanks @Aston_Villan4 and @sne. Going by that, Elmo, Taylor and Lansbury will all leave. And, depending on what happens with guilbert, only Taylor leaving would need someone bringing in to play in that position.

I think next year's priority will be LB, hopefully one good enough to see targett become back up. I also think CM will be a priority depending on what happens with Barkley and Luiz. If they both stay then we will be set in those positions. 

Then, it'll be strength in depth at CB and perhaps a new winger. We've obviously come a long way in 2 years, but there's still work to be done. 

I don’t know if Villa ever officially announced the terms of his deal but Wikipedia claims Hourihane signed a new 3 year deal in July 2019.

9 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t know if Villa ever officially announced the terms of his deal but Wikipedia claims Hourihane signed a new 3 year deal in July 2019.

Bit literally every other source says next summer.  I was trying to work this out last week.

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

As for LB, I guess it depends how well Targett does this year.  The Liverpool game was the best I have seen Targett play in a long time.  Whatever happens, we will need back up/competition with Taylor, hopefully, moving on.

I agree with your Barkley & Luiz comment but would ideally want better back up for SJM (Lansbury is hopeless and CH has not got the engine to play as a box to box midfielder) and possibly an upgrade on Nakamba, depending how he does when he gets a chance this season.  I haven't seen enough of Ramsey to know whether he is a box to box/"8" or a more attack minded "10"?

I'm still hopeful that we get Benrhama in this window and loan out AEG to a Championship club.  I would love for us to be able to bring in David Brooks, or similar, next season and have him competing with Traore for a starting spot on the RW.

The big question for me is how Wes will do on his return.  Is he good enough to be Watkins' cover/rotation or would we need to upgrade in 12 months?

Looks like we lose Neil Taylor on a free next summer as well.  Will need to replace him and Elmo.   2 new fullbacks top of the shopping list next summer then.

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Looks like we lose Neil Taylor on a free next summer as well.  Will need to replace him and Elmo.   2 new fullbacks top of the shopping list next summer then.

Wouldnt be surprised if Kesler was promoted to understudy for cash next season, meaning we only actually need a LB from the two exits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Bit literally every other source says next summer.  I was trying to work this out last week.

Well when he signed the new deal, supposed, 3 year deal he still had 2 years left on his original contract. Maybe that’s what people are referring to by saying next summer?

8 hours ago, sne said:

Transfermarkt is usually a good place to look. Not 100% accurate but pretty good.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/berateruebersicht/verein/405

I use Sportrac alongside Transfermarkt - https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/aston-villa-fc/contracts/ 
Usually gives the facts between them, although it doesn't always update quickly (damn these free websites!)

This suggests that Lansbury (£2.1m per season), Taylor (£0.4m), Elmo (£1.3m) and Conor (£1.56m) will be out of contract in summer 2021 - or about what Barkley earns a season between them.

Conor is atough one - he'll be 30 in February, and his next contract falls into the "last big one" of his career category. And signing Barkley on loan might mean he chooses to move on. Honestly, I'm hoping by then we don't really care, and wish him good luck as he signs for whoever comes up through the play offs next year.

It seems we only have Hause out of contract in 2022 (£0.4m per season) - so some stability is in the offing.

As an aside - given when Taylor signed - he needs a new agent if the wages are true. No wonder they aren't desperate to get rid. Guilbert is on £2m a season if the website is to be believed!

Finally - Konsa is showing at £0.4m per season and McGinn at £1.3m (they are contracted until 2023 and 2024 respectively). They'll be wanting a pay rise soon, given other salaries were paying.

I imagine next summer's window being pretty straight forward - replacing Taylor, Lansbury and CH with upgrades at their respective positions and swapping Elmo for a new CB.  I could see the club giving Elmo a short-term extension as well to be an emergency back-up option at three positions (RB, CB, RW). Fact that one of our owners is Egyptian might be a factor.

Â