Pre Match Chit Chat

TheAuthority

Must...

Not...

Lose...

I would imagine that sore loser Lee Johnson will be rubbing his hands for this game given how things are developing at Villa Park this season. One win in eight... hysteria... etc. Live and exclusive on Sky Sports. Can't wait... We're just waiting for the inevitable now... and Mr Bruce has openly said 'I never walk away from a challenge.' No? Explain the summer you walked out on Hull then... What you're doing here is clinging on until you get paid off. At least have the decency not to try and pull the wool over the fans eyes.

Probably two DMs in this game for us. Must, not, lose.

• Like 1

Apathy kicking in now. Such a waste of a favorable fixture list. 9 games in and we havent even begun to look like anything resembling a team, just a group of expensive individuals who need new direction from the one thats being drummed into them day in day out by a bloke who its clear to say is way out of his depth. 

As for this game we'll likely not turn up but scrape to a 1-1 draw, which will be a small victory for Bruce "a point to get us to where we want to be; there or thereabouts". 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Anyone looking forward to this?

Friday night & live on TV. We spanked them 5-1 last time we played but I imagine it will be very different this time.

I'm not looking forward to this match at all, because I can't support my team to a win as I should be doing.

A win would allow Bruce to continue to bang on about the hysteria of "mad fans", and how his huge experience has sorted out the defensive issues in a couple of training sessions this week. It will only prolong the inevitable.

2-0 loss and nothing to do with the Sky TV curse.

Kodjia and Abraham should be really up for this one............well, Abraham will be. Kodjia, I fear, will be in a "can't be arsed" mood.

Post match and spudface will be his usual deluded self.............christ, you can almost write the whole script for friday night right now ?

Going to this one... but looking forward to the afternoon in the pubs over watching the football. I really don't care that much anymore, and until Bruce goes I can't see that changing.

The last few weeks I have been pushing for an attacking line-up and although I still think it is our best way forward I just don't think we can pull it off under Bruce's management. The players don't seem up for it, and the defence is such a shambles that we always have the potential to concede more than we can score. For this one I would go with this: (Although there is no way Bruce will bomb out Jedinak and Elmo)

Nyland

Bree   Chester   Tuanzebe   Hutton

McGinn   Hourihane

Bolasie     Grealish      Kodjia

Abraham

Elmo offers absolutely nothing, he pumps the ball long whenever he gets possesion and the ball comes straight back at us. He needs to be taken out and Bree should now be given a chance, he's young and comfortable in possesion. The same goes with Jedinak/Tuanzebe. We need to find a settled defence and fast, Bree and Tuanzebe offer pace and with game time they will add composure on the ball along with their passing abilities. The ball needs to be played out from the back and into our midfield so we can play a possesion based game.

McGinn, Hourihane and Grealish are our best midfield options, but they have to play as a 3 man midfield. As soon as you throw Grealish out wide you open up a gap between the two man midfield and the striker/strikers. This can be changed with one coming off and Bjarnasson/Whelan/Jedinak coming on, Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder.

Out wide Bolaise is our main threat, we need to get him playing. Kodjia should be on the other wing, although I wouldn't be averse to seeing what El Ghazi can do.

A two man strike force of Abraham and Kodjia doesn't work against decent oppostion, they are both too static and it doesn't help the rest of the team. For Abraham to be effective we have to play the ball on the floor and to his feet where he can roll his man, hold play up or play off the shoulder of the defender; he needs movement around him and Grealish will offer this playing just off him. 

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

Lee Johnson was a very bad whinging looser after that last 5-1 thumping---no doubt he will have them really up for revenge--we need to battle it out and be ready to fight fire with fire---but i worry McGinn aside, will we be able to---this type of game is when Snoddy and J.T. showed their worth---now both are gone others must come to the fore,

I'll watch it on Sky as I love to ruin my Friday nights. I said in another thread that I think our team is perfect for a diamond but SB will never play it.

Nyland

Elmo Chester Tuan Taylor

Bikir

Hourihane               McGinn

Jack

Kodija Abraham

This system all hinges on two pieces of play. The CBs need to take the ball and either pass it out of defence or if the other team sit deep run it out to midfield. Everything with this will come through the middle and it depends on players passing quickly and moving into space to receive the ball back. It also needs the full backs to be forward and wide. They are used only if going through the middle is being blocked off by the other team flooding the defence. 

It allows you to overload the attack if you can control the ball as all of the front 5 can push on and the full backs are advanced. It also means that if you lose the ball you can crowd out the player in possession so you win it back or force them to kick it aimlessly. 

This works well with our team as the strikers like to drift wide (especially Kodija) by doing this they can drag the CBs out of position with the expectation the midfielders may find space. 

That's what I would do. I expect SB to go with a 4-5-1 and hope to nick something from a set-piece. 

If anyone is feeling like me you'll be thinking we're going to get battered.

What i've come to expect from supporting Villa is to predict against what my gut feeling is.

So this is going to be a comfortable 3-0 win with Jedinak scoring a hat-trick. 

Edited by PieFacE

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

2-1 defeat. Bruce sacked by Monday morning.

We can only dream.

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Think we will get completely dicked again but scrape a 1-1 leaving Bruce to proclaim his genius.

Nightmare fuel