Telltale have told their final tale

LakotaDakota

Not sure how they can muck up reskinng the same game on a clunky old engine over and over again with a different pouplar franchise heading the charge but apparently they can and are pretty much dead.

All future projects cancelled, All remaining staff fired today bar a teams of 25 who are finishing off the last bits of the final walking dead game

They expanded to a ludicrous size very quickly and were generally mismanaged. It also seems they basically didn't make a successful game outside of the first Walking Dead, so all the stuff they pumped out was effectively chasing another golden goose franchise.

It's a shame as for all their faults, they had talented people in their writing teams and so on. Overreliance on the dodgy engine and not developing their format did for them.

It was 100% guaranteed to happen as unfortunate as that is to say. There have been precedents set throughout the gaming industry over the years that taking licenced deal after licenced deal ends badly eventually.  

There's a suggestion now they're working with potential partners to get TWD finished. If that partner is Netflix, who they're already working with to complete Minecraft Story Mode, then perhaps they will also do the Stranger Things game. 

Looks like Stranger Things was at least partially done.

WCCFstrangerthingstelltale.jpg

https://wccftech.com/telltale-stranger-things-leak/

Well, now we at least have some idea how Telltale’s take on Stranger Things was coming together as a series of GIFs taken from the game have popped up on Reddit/4Chan (thanks to PCGamesN for rounding them up). Now, these snippets are from a very early build of the game, so they’re a bit rough, but they do give us an impression of the game’s overall tone and visual style. They also hint at the changes the Unity engine was going to bring to the Telltale formula. Specifically, it looks like the players would’ve had a bit more freedom to move around and interact with the environment. We also get a glimpse of a first-person action/horror sequence, in which players have to run and hide from a Demogorgon — all without a quick-time event in sight! Check out the clips, below.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Their games were more like story telling than actual games, after finishing them I would think I wander what would have happened if I chose the other options but it was too much hassle to play through again.

Kind of reminded me of those adventure books from the 80s where it would ask you to turn to a certain page depending on your decision. 

Their games weren't challenging at all though, felt like i was just watching an entertaining cartoon with the odd button press.

There is a gap in the market for adventure games though, i grew up in the 90s when they were everywhere and it was my favourite genre with the likes of Monkey Island, Beneath a steel Sky, Gabriel Knight series, Broken Sword, Syberia and loads of LucasArts stuff. I miss those kind of games.

You could do worse than given Dreamfall Chapters a go for that 'adventure' game fix. Final part of the Longest Journey trilogy, so ideally you will have played the other two first.

Â