Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Wed

limpid

Match Polls  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/09/18 at 18:45

actually managed to get a good stream of this on my phone at work today

wish I hadn't bothered, utter waste of my time. I keep waking up the day after matchdays hoping to see the good news and it never happens, it's starting to become disheartening

Very meh. Wednesday deserved the win for the second year in a row at Villa Park.  Now we are nearly a quarter through the season I think we can see that we should have lots of attacking options up front. However the defence is still a mess. Who would have thought that by playing only 1 central defender? It is baffling as Bruce was a former very good defender himself, and since he came here that has been his strength until this season.

I had 4 players out of position today- Hutton- which is a long term one in fariness, Jedinak- please let this stop, Hourihane- why play a attacking midfielder as a defensive midfielder when we have clearly 3 better options- Jedinak, Whelan or Tuanzebe?, and Grealish. 

Grealish is a concern. Bruce made it clear last season Jack should be the main man and in fairness when he came back from the injury, that is what happened. He then played the best 6 months of his career and very nearly left us in the summer. I am certain we bought McGinn thinking Jack was to leave. McGinn has settled in very well and scored a screamer today. However long term I am not sure both McGinn and Grealish can play together. Bruce has now seemingly shore-horned Grealish in the side as a left winger which to me I find baffling. Grealish had a poor game today as well. 

Overall the balance is not there at all at the moment and seemingly is not improving. We look like a mid table side at present.

22 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Who would have thought that by playing only 1 central defender? It is baffling as Bruce was a former very good defender himself,

Someone might be a really good roadsweeper, but that doesn't mean you'd expect them to be able to organise the city cleansing department.

It's not the same job, by a factor of...lots.

• Like 3

Poor yet again... I almost find myself not even caring anymore. Until Bruce goes this isn't going to change, he's tactically clueless and has no idea what his formation or best 11 is. He's spent the summer adding to his side with McGinn, Abraham, Bolasie, El Ghazi but has no idea where he is going to play them all... surely you buy players to suit your formation and style of play?!

It seemed as though we changed formation every 15 minutes yesterday...

4-4-2 to start with. Abraham and Kodjia both similarly static up front, both are the same type of player making it seem as though we have 10 men on the pitch. Grealish out on the left after playing some of the best football of his career in centre midfield last season. Jedinak at centre back after being shambolic all season.

4-1-4-1 before half time. The change of formation made sense and we were crying out for the change, but instead of McGinn and Hourihane taking up centre midfield with Grealish in front, Bruce dropped Hourihane into defensive midfield?!

Second half we went back to 4-4-2, the formation that for 40 minutes in the first half hadn't worked at all, for the reasons stated above. Grealish moved back outside and again went missing from the game.

78 minutes rolls around, 2-1 down and Bruce takes off Kodjia and puts on a winger and again switches to 4-1-4-1, one striker on the pitch and now a defensive midfielder (who is not really a defensive midfielder)

It's an absolute shambles. If Bruce isn't gone tomorrow morning then I just don't know what to say anymore. We are throwing our season away yet again. I'm going to Bristol on Friday, and not even looking forward to it one bit... We need to make a this change as soon as possible, the board can't wait until the next international break to do it. 

• Like 2

Bruce seems to be a manager that has all the answers after the game and nothing during the game he only influences a game negatively,a blind man could see that Jedinak would struggle with Wednesday’s mobility Jedi is a horses for courses player he is suited to playing big awkward players like what happened against Rotherham  ,Tuanzebe should have played I counted only 5 players playing in there proper positions yesterday mind boggling stuff ,this is the first test for the owners and getting rid of Bruce as soon as is the answer and the only answer.

How much will it cost to sack Bruce? He has a rolling one year contract so that needs paying up. My 8-10 match assessment is now 5-7 but now after being Heimlich resuscitated after choking on my post match chilli ? I think the 3rd wealthiest owners need to move quickly. Ranieri ??

On 22/09/2018 at 18:09, TheStagMan said:

No, the penalty for SHA breaching FFP was a transfer embargo. The potential 12 point deduction is for ignoring that embargo and signing players they were not allowed to. 

We are very unlikely to get a points deduction because we have not ignored any instructions from the EFL.

Only part of SHA's punisnment is for ignoring the soft embargo placed on them. The main issue was the FFP part of it, ie making too much of a loss over a 3 year period. We are in the same boat and we must be promoted to avoid it. It's unpalatable I know but we can't ignore it.

On 23/09/2018 at 02:50, S-Platt said:

Chester gave the ball away for both goals from my view in The North Stand.  The whole defence gave the ball away countless times.  The one tactic to get it wide and cross is so easy to defend. McGinn aside that was pisspoor. Could have been 5 easily.  It’s Groundhog Day though we all see it but we just do the same thing all the time.  Decent teams expose us. Weaker teams trouble us. I cannot believe we are not better after 2 years and 4 transfer windows.  I am convinced we have good players being made to look shite by bad management and coaching.  Change that and see the difference.  

up there with Chester's worst game for us.  The partnership between him and Jedi is awful and will cost Bruce his job if he doesnt change it soon

Â