Pre-match thread

BOF

I thought the positives from Tuesday were Jedi, Hourihane, Bolasie off the bench and Kodija and Abraham up front. So they all have to start. I'd go with:

Nyland

Elmo Jedi Chester Taylor

Bolaise Hourihane McGinn Grealish

Kodija Abraham

It would be great to see the likes of Hogan and Davis on the bench again as if we are going to play two up front we will need back up. 

I think it's unlikely BUT would quite like to see a 3-5-2- especially at home...Jedinak is clearly in Bruce's plans but I think we all liked finally seeing 2 forwards playing together along with Hourihane, McGinn and Jack in the line up...so..

Nyland

Hutton Chester Jedinak

El Ghazi, Hourihane, McGinn, Bolasie

Jack

Kodjia     Abraham

Edited by Stevomanila
Typo..

2 hours ago, Stevomanila said:

I think it's unlikely BUT would quite like to see a 3-5-2- especially at home...Jedinak is clearly in Bruce's plans but I think we all liked finally seeing 2 forwards playing together along with Hourihane, McGinn and Jack in the line up...so..

Nyland

Hutton Chester Jedinak

Jack

Kodjia     Abraham

El ghazi and bolasie as wing backs....under Bruce?

I'm not saying it won't happen but it won't happen!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevomanila said:

Nyland

Hutton Chester Jedinak

Jack

Kodjia     Abraham

I suppose we could win 8-7 with that team. 

What was interesting in the last game was that Chester went to the right of central defence which is his preferred side on his stronger foot - Jedi was on the left. Correct me if I'm wrong but usually Chester is shoved out to the left side to accommodate Jedi and all of the other various partners he has had and that makes him far less effective.

He looked so good alongside Terry because he was able to stay on his better side. Maybe Chester on his stronger side can make up for Jedi being a weaker center back?

8 hours ago, Stevomanila said:

I think it's unlikely BUT would quite like to see a 3-5-2- 

?

Why do people keep suggesting this?  We are bad enough at the back without trying some harebrained formation. Also given that we can't even get basic tactics right let's hope Bruce keeps the formations simple and stable.

I would prefer Axel at CB but I think we’ll see;

Nyland

Elmo        Chester        Jedinak      Hutton

McGinn        Hourihane

Bolasie             Grealish               Kodjia

Abraham

Edited by alreadyexists

Football will make or break my day today. Villa first, then immediately after my local club are playing away on telly. I’m too old to let one defeat ruin my day anymore, but two would make an unpleasant evening. 

I’m hoping to see an attacking Villa side today. That being said, our overall shape looks better in a 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 with Jack in the middle. If Bolasie is up for playing 75+ mins, I hope he starts. I’d go: 

Nyland

Elmo, Chester, Axel, Cafu

Hou, McGinn

Bolasie, Jack, Kodj

Tammy

It’ll probably be Jedi over Axel, though, at least. 

Edited by Michelsen

I think I'd start

Nyland

Elmohamady---Chester---Tuanzebe---Hutton

Grealish---Hourihane---McGinn

Kodjia---Abraham---El Ghazi

With Bolasie and Jedinak getting around the last half hour for opposite reasons of attack/defence.

I'm feeling a 3-0 Abraham hat-trick win.

Image result for tammy abraham aston villa

Just with a view to comparing results from last season and seeing how we’ve dropped points against a few sides we beat last season, this is a decent chance for us to claw back three points against a slightly out of sorts Wednesday side.

I think it’ll be a close, scrappy game (because most of our games are), hopefully we’ll sneak it.

I've been mulling things over a lot this week, and we were better defensively last season when we had Jedinak sitting in front of the centre backs. With that in mind we'll play Jedinak as DM in front of Chester and Jedinak as CB's. Now all we've got to do is keep Forrestieri quiet and we'll get a point at least!

Ps: Sheffield Wednesday have got 4 or 5 very good players!