Pre-match thread

BOF

So our 2nd home league game in 5 days.  Following on from a win that, let's face it, had its pluses and minuses.

Will Bruce keep the same attacking front 6 with no dedicated defensive mid, or will he revert to employing a Whelan-type against a superior opponent than Rotherham?

Will he be brave enough to continue the Kodjia/Abraham strike partnership which looked promising, or will someone be sacrificed to make way for the extra midfielder?

Results against Wednesday have been a very mixed bag since demotion. In 4 matches we've shared 2 wins apiece.  Last season both sides winning the away fixture.

Wednesday will have had 1 day's less rest for this one, so hopefully that can have some effect.

A nice traditional Saturday 3pm kick off against one of the bigger boys in the league.  Should hopefully result in a good attendance and atmosphere (last season saw 33,154 for another 3pm Sat kickoff).

The referee will be David Webb assisted by Steven Meredith and Matt Foley, with 4th official Christopher Sarginson.

By my reckoning this will be the first time Webb has refereed us.  He certainly hasn't taken charge of a league game since we were flushed into the Championship.

• Like 1

This will be the 133rd league meeting between the two clubs. We have won 65 and drawn 17 of these games. The Owls have won the FA Cup 3 times, have been League champions 4 times and have won the League Cup once. 

This game will see us welcoming Barry Bannan and Josh Onomah back to Villa Park. Like Tuesday's visitors we also had the same manager in the same calendar year as Sheffield Wednesday with Big Ron moving from Hillsborough to Villa Park in 1991.

We need a win to build up some momentum and confidence. A second home win and clean sheet within a week would be very welcome. It won't be easy with Wednesday sitting just 2 points behind us. We need to make amends for our home defeat against them 11 months ago. Their heaviest ever defeat was 10-0 at Villa Park in October 1912. A repeat of that win would do nicely! :)

• Like 1

Very tough game for us. I think they will keep it very tight and compact. Their manager is not the most positive, especially away from home. Can see this being a dire 1.1.  We’d sold 33k yesterday, with a full away end. Can maybe see them opening the top tier of the trinity road. I’d start with Bolasie. 

Not conceding after 20 seconds would be a good idea this time around. ;)

Judging by his post match comments I think he will be playing two up top again so a lot will depend on how Wednesday set up to counter that.

Win this and we will be around 4th in the table which would be brilliant, although we have played 4 of the bottom 7.

I expect a tough game and a 2-2 draw.

They are not great on the road, and we’ve played pretty well at home this season. They will play for the draw, with trying to take a chance at the other end when they can. Concede first and it will be a very difficult afternoon. We have to score 2 goals in games. Our defence won’t hold on to 1 nils like we could last season. 

19 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Woud go with this as I think Wednesday have the potential to overrun a two man midfield

Nyland

Elmo        Chester        Jedinak      Hutton

McGinn        Hourihane

Bolasie               Grealish             Kodjia

Abraham

No need to change a defence after a clean sheet, and Jedinak against Nuhiu or Fletcher would be the best option.

Jedinak at CB! After all the criticism of his ability to play there.

58 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Like I said, after a clean sheet why change the defence. Also Jedinak would be the better option against Nuhiu or Fletcher who are both big and physical strikers.

14 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

Yet he's our second best CB

(personally I'd play Tuanzebe to get him more game time, but Jedinak is the better player right now)

----------------------Nyland

Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton

---------------------Jedinak

---------------McGinn Grealish

El Ghazi------------------------------Bolasie

--------------------Abraham

Would be my choice. I don't like us playing two up front, despite the win in midweek. Hourihane had a good game but I think that midfield 3 is still our best midfield. But could totally understand seeing Hourihane take McGinn's spot.

Also would be fine with Jedi at CB and Whelan in at DM.

We have plenty of options for the front 6, which will make it even more frustrating if we struggle to create anything.