Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

On 17/09/2018 at 03:24, Kiwivillan said:

Our main problem is not scoring enough goals and people want to persist with 1 up front? Bizarre. I only recall Kodjia being awful when played left of an attacking 3

I agree.

Whilst on the surface the problem is at the back, I don’t share the view.

For 99% of games we defend ok. But we defend for such long periods, and have made several individual errors, so we over concede. But neither of those issues are fixable playing the way we do.

Although we’ve scored goals we actually have created very little in open play in most games, and, Brentford aside, never put teams under anything like continuous pressure....we give the opposition very very little to worry about ( including leaving a man up when they hav3 a corner grrrrrrrr.......) - contrast this to the pressure our defence is often put under.

Our current system gifts the initiative to our opponents.

And that’s before we even debate whether our biggest strength is our potential forward quality.

Four defenders and a GK for me. Hutton, Axel, Chester, Taylor. Although I’m happy to swap Elmo for Taylor and switch Hutton.

No defensive midfielder. Haven’t seen the point in 90% of our games in this League. By including one, you deprive yourself of an opportunity to give the opposition more to worry about.

Jack, McGinn, and Hourihane are perfectly capable and responsible enough.

Then Kodja, Tammy, and one of our 3 ball playing wingers. That will lack a little defensive solidity, but, in my view, will create sufficient at the other end to negate that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/09/2018 at 09:34, wilko154 said:

Nyland

Hutton  Chester  Tuanzebe  Taylor

Hourihane   McGinn

El Ghazi    Grealish       Kodjia

Abraham

Yes please!

It might leave us a little exposed in midfield, I don't know, but I'd love for us to at least try Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 03:24, Kiwivillan said:

Our main problem is not scoring enough goals and people want to persist with 1 up front? Bizarre. I only recall Kodjia being awful when played left of an attacking 3

Despite feeling that i agree with this statement, Certainly where goals from open play are concerned it doesn't actually seem to be true.

We have scored 12 goals in 7 games, This is an average of just over 1.71 goals per game.

Only Leeds 15, Brentford 14 & West Brom 16 have scored more goals than 12.

Our problem is that we have also conceeded 12 goals, Only 2 teams have conceeded more (Qpr 14 & Stoke 13)

We only scored 72 goals last season (1.56 goals per game) & only wolves & fulham got anywhere near averaging 1.7 goals per game over the course of the season.

Edited by LakotaDakota

46 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yes please!

It might leave us a little exposed in midfield, I don't know, but I'd love for us to at least try Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish.

Yeah, but then if you're going to do it against anyone, you do it in the sweetest fixture on the calendar. Home to Rotherham. I do however have no faith that this will happen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah, but then if you're going to do it against anyone, you do it in the sweetest fixture on the calendar. Home to Rotherham. I do however have no faith that this will happen. 

I share your lack of faith but would certainly be pro the idea. We did it for 30 mins or so against I think Ipswich away and it seemed to work quite well even though it didnt produce the winner. 

One reason I like the idea is because I've got a sneaky feeling McGinn would be really good as the slightly more defensively minded of the three. Where he loses out to Jedinak in height/aerial ability he wins out over Jedi, Whelan and Bjarnasson in almost every other area you could imagine. If that means you can get Hourihane back in the team who is an obvious goal threat then it seems logical to me. 

Come to think of it I wonder if Elmohamady could play CM. 

4 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I share your lack of faith but would certainly be pro the idea. We did it for 30 mins or so against I think Ipswich away and it seemed to work quite well even though it didnt produce the winner. 

One reason I like the idea is because I've got a sneaky feeling McGinn would be really good as the slightly more defensively minded of the three. Where he loses out to Jedinak in height/aerial ability he wins out over Jedi, Whelan and Bjarnasson in almost every other area you could imagine. If that means you can get Hourihane back in the team who is an obvious goal threat then it seems logical to me. 

Come to think of it I wonder if Elmohamady could play CM. 

I think between Hourihane and McGinn they both have the intelligence and the engine to cover when the other is forward.  We don't always need a dedicated destroyer in the centre.  Even Barney would be better than Jedi or Whelan in this fixture.  Those 2 are overkill now that we seem to be using 2 centre backs at centre back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the above...

Hourihane McGinn

Grealish

This should be our midfield for 80% of games this season. Bjarnasson can then come in for either Hourihane or McGinn when needed as he is also an active box to box midfielder.

Jedinak and Whelan can be used in the defensive midfield role in games where we tactially need a player in there (for example Jedinak against SHA last season), or come on for Hourihane or McGinn late on in games to shut up shop.

• Like 3

Nyland

Elmo Tuanzebe Chester Taylor

Bjarnason

Hourihane Grealish

Bolasie          Abraham         El Ghazi

That'd do me, if Bolasie still isn't quite ready for a full game I think I'd prefer him starting to coming on seeing as Adomah is completely out of form and I don't particularly agree with this seemingly collective idea that Kodjia can start games from the wing.

23 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Even Bruce isn't shit enough to drop points to this lot. Rotherham are utter garbage, we'll win this by 2 or 3. Although sadly when we come up against the better sides the same shit cycle will continue. 

They have actually won more games than us this season ;)

Just sayin...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

I'm already feeling depressed and we haven't even kicked a ball yet.... can anyone offer even a glimmer of an optimistic thought..

BBC to the rescue :

Match facts

• Aston Villa have won their last four matches against Rotherham in all competitions, beating them twice in their most recent league meetings during 2016-17.
  • Rotherham have lost four of their previous five league trips to Villa Park, winning the other 2-1 in October 1971.
  • Steve Bruce's only home league defeat to Rotherham as manager came in April 2001 as Wigan manager - current Millers boss Paul Warne was playing for Rotherham that day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45479783

• Thanks 1

I find it incredible that Rotherham are only 1 point behind us, incredible.

If we are not winning with 5 mins to go the crowd will start to turn on him.

The voices of dissent will grow in numbers and volume.

We will win this one surely? 

• Like 1

Anything other than a convincing win will be disappointing. I’m hoping for a midfield trio of Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish, and for Elmo do drop back to full back to leave right wing open for an actual attacker.