Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

Agree with pretty much all that @wilko154 I’d probably put Elmo as right back and Hutton at left back, but otherwise, spot on.

Yeah it does feel a bit “must win”. I think if we drew, he’d still get another few games but not winning this one would have to be a significant factor for the board. Rotherham just had a good win against Derby, so they’re not pushovers. But we have to be winning this. 

2-0 win, Abraham off the mark, cue “one defeat in eight, new players, crisis” etc etc.

I was tempted to go to this one, as I don’t normally have chance to go to evening kick offs, but frankly I can think of better ways of spending my money. So watch them win 5-0 now.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

A must win game for Bruce and a must win game for Aston Villa. We need to start getting points back on the board as we have dropped far too many this season.

This is certainly not going to be a walk in the park as it was two seasons ago, Rotherham are looking better this season as was proved in their win against Derby on Saturday.

We need to start playing the game on the front foot, let the midfield get forward and help out the strikers whilst letting the wingers get involved instead of sitting in front of the full backs.

Nyland

Hutton  Chester  Tuanzebe  Taylor

Hourihane   McGinn

El Ghazi    Grealish       Kodjia

Abraham

Defence needs to stay the same, we've changed it too much this season. Get some consistency at the back and we will begin to look more solid, along with helping Nyland get used to playing with a settled side.

Hourihane needs to come back in, we miss his tracking back and hassling players in the middle of the park. In saying that we need to let him off the leash and get forward. Hourihane and McGinn are both players who can go box to box all game, dropping in when the other drives forward letting Grealish play ahead in a free role where he performs best.

On the wings Elmo and Adomah offer very little. El Ghazi, Kodjia and Bolasie are all players who bring something to the team each time they get the ball. Bolasie to come on for the last 30 minutes and get some more minutes under his belt.

Abraham looked far too isolated on Saturday but linked up well with Kodjia, we need to ensure that El Ghazi, Grealish and Kodjia all play closer to him and get him into the game.

In saying this no doubt Bruce's love children Elmohamady & Jedinak will both start.

That’s exactly the team I just came on to post so cheers for saving me some time.  I could also see McGinn dropping back into the DM role as I see a lot of similarities with his game and Kantes, would also give him less chance to drag shots wide from 25 yards.

We have beaten Rotherham 3-0 on their last two visits to Villa Park and another 3-0 win would possibly give us the opportunity to put an unbeaten run together and to begin to feel a little more positive about this season. We currently only have a slender one point in hand over our visitors which demonstrates that they have had an encouraging start to the season and that we have failed to hit the ground running for a third successive Championship season.

The Millers have won once in their five league visits to Villa Park (2-1 in 1971) with us having won the other four. Both clubs had Tommy Docherty as their manager during 1968. Rotherham were our visitors in 1967 when I attended my first Villa game outside of the top flight. We won that one 3-1 having also beaten them 3-0 in 1961 to win the first League Cup Final.

Rotherham make a bit of a habit of conceding three goals at Villa Park don't they? They have done so on 5 occasions in their 9 league and cup visits to date. Let's make it 6 on Tuesday!

• Like 3

Happy with the team above or my suggestion below.  Either way, a must win and I think we will. 

Nyland

Hutton  Axel   Chester  Taylor

Bolasie  Mcginn  Hourihane  El Ghazi

Grealish 

Abraham

If we’re set up defensively and put in another negative display I can imagine the toxic atmosphere will show its face in the ground.

Bruce needs to attack this game as a signal of intent. However I think he’ll continue in his usual way and hope we come good at some point! 

13 hours ago, wilko154 said:

A must win game for Bruce and a must win game for Aston Villa. We need to start getting points back on the board as we have dropped far too many this season.

This is certainly not going to be a walk in the park as it was two seasons ago, Rotherham are looking better this season as was proved in their win against Derby on Saturday.

We need to start playing the game on the front foot, let the midfield get forward and help out the strikers whilst letting the wingers get involved instead of sitting in front of the full backs.

Nyland

Hutton  Chester  Tuanzebe  Taylor

Hourihane   McGinn

El Ghazi    Grealish       Kodjia

Abraham

Defence needs to stay the same, we've changed it too much this season. Get some consistency at the back and we will begin to look more solid, along with helping Nyland get used to playing with a settled side.

Hourihane needs to come back in, we miss his tracking back and hassling players in the middle of the park. In saying that we need to let him off the leash and get forward. Hourihane and McGinn are both players who can go box to box all game, dropping in when the other drives forward letting Grealish play ahead in a free role where he performs best.

On the wings Elmo and Adomah offer very little. El Ghazi, Kodjia and Bolasie are all players who bring something to the team each time they get the ball. Bolasie to come on for the last 30 minutes and get some more minutes under his belt.

Abraham looked far too isolated on Saturday but linked up well with Kodjia, we need to ensure that El Ghazi, Grealish and Kodjia all play closer to him and get him into the game.

In saying this no doubt Bruce's love children Elmohamady & Jedinak will both start.

Hutton at LB and Elmohamady at RB and that is a good side.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Our main problem is not scoring enough goals and people want to persist with 1 up front? Bizarre. I only recall Kodjia being awful when played left of an attacking 3

We have scored in every game. Our main problem is we concede far too many goals.

That said, we should have enough to win this. Whilst I fully expect Rotherham to score, I think we can get a couple and so fancy us to win.

2-1 to us.

----------------------Nyland

Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton

---------------------Jedinak

--------------McGinn--Grealish

El Ghazi----------------------------Bolasie

--------------------Abraham

Please

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

----------------------Nyland

Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton

---------------------Jedinak

--------------McGinn--Grealish

El Ghazi----------------------------Bolasie

--------------------Abraham

Please

Think I'd go for that with one change of Kodjia to start in place of Bolasie. Can't see him being fit enough to start yet. 

That said I'd happily take any formation which doesn't involve a right back being one of our main attackers. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Think I'd go for that with one change of Kodjia to start in place of Bolasie. Can't see him being fit enough to start yet. 

That said I'd happily take any formation which doesn't involve a right back being one of our main attackers. 

Yeah fair enough. That was obviously dependant on everyone being fit.