Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4

PieFacE

Anyone picking up the new COD?

I haven't played a COD for years, probably BLOPS1 was the last one I played. However, the new "Blackout" (Battle Royale) mode actually looks incredibly fun. All streamers seem to be loving it and i'm enjoying watching it too.

The BETA for Blackout starts today on PC and Xbox for anyone who wants to give it a go. I've pre-ordered on Amazon for a code but will cancel the pre-order if it's shit. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

I'm getting it this year which will be the first time since Black Ops 2 in 2012. I am mainly getting it for the Battle Royale mode, but I will likely also play Zombies which is basic stupid fun regardless of what they add or change.  

Played several hours of the Blackout beta on PC it's very good.

This is about as polished as a Battle Royale is going to get. I know Fortnite exists and that is also extremely polished, but as far military based BR games go there is nothing that compares to Blackout right now. 

• Like 1

Yeah gave the BR mode a bit of a go over the weekend and have to say, it's very fun! Strangely more excited for this COD game than I am for the new BF game which just feels... Weird.

It's very nice to play a BR game on console at 60fps. Seemed pretty smooth on the 1X

• Like 1

What stands out to me the most is the bullet drop/bullet travel time. I never thought Call of Duty would add it, but it's there for all weapons and coupled with the silky smooth gameplay that Call of Duty is famous for, it just feels so damn good to play. 

I am very impressed and I can't imagine this has helped Battlefield in the slightest. That series is already facing all time low pre-order figures and now Call of Duty is good? I wouldn't want to be EA right now as everything seems to be falling apart over there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daweii said:

What stands out to me the most is the bullet drop/bullet travel time. I never thought Call of Duty would add it, but it's there for all weapons and coupled with the silky smooth gameplay that Call of Duty is famous for, it just feels so damn good to play. 

I am very impressed and I can't imagine this has helped Battlefield in the slightest. That series is already facing all time low pre-order figures and now Call of Duty is good? I wouldn't want to be EA right now as everything seems to be falling apart over there. 

Yeah it's odd. I know there's a few YouTubers such as AngryJoe who have flat out refused to get into Battle Royale at all, however since playing the COD BR mode they now say they "get it".

I do think PUBG is a better game, but it just has too many long periods of doing nothing which can get a bit dull.

It feels like COD looked at PUBG and said "Right, what do people complain about most in PUBG? Let's do the opposite" .... and it's worked, big time. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah it's odd. I know there's a few YouTubers such as AngryJoe who have flat out refused to get into Battle Royale at all, however since playing the COD BR mode they now say they "get it".

I do think PUBG is a better game, but it just has too many long periods of doing nothing which can get a bit dull.

It feels like COD looked at PUBG and said "Right, what do people complain about most in PUBG? Let's do the opposite" .... and it's worked, big time. 

The speed of Call of Duty amazingly translates perfectly into a Battle Royale, it also helps that it doesn't take itself seriously with zombies, ray guns and even world war 2 era weapons in certain locations. 

PUBG has all the makings of a great game it's just incredibly unpolished with too many issues. PUBG's biggest issue is that it's still plagued with desync and server issues which Blackout BR doesn't suffer from making it a vastly better experience. 

Yeah Treyarch have really knocked it out of the park with Blackout BR. I'm kinda sad that the beta has ended, never thought I'd be saying that a week ago.

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me is the fact Blackout is 60FPS on Xbox, whereas PUBG is barely 30FPS.

PUBG needs to be completely stripped down and rebuild/optimised for consoles. The fact it's smoother to play on an OG Xbox One than an Xbox One X shows how shitty their dev team are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

The biggest thing for me is the fact Blackout is 60FPS on Xbox, whereas PUBG is barely 30FPS.

PUBG needs to be completely stripped down and rebuild/optimised for consoles. The fact it's smoother to play on an OG Xbox One than an Xbox One X shows how shitty their dev team are. 

I have lost faith in Bluehole to do anything worthwhile at this point. Bluehole are a company that take 5-6 months to finish a new map despite the fact they buy most of the assets off the Unreal Engine Store. 

The day they get PUBG working flawlessly I feel there will be a new king in town. Not saying it's going to be Blackout BR by any means as that mode is still attached to a £60 video game, but something may be king and PUBG will have missed its chance. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I have lost faith in Bluehole to do anything worthwhile at this point. Bluehole are a company that take 5-6 months to finish a new map despite the fact they buy most of the assets off the Unreal Engine Store. 

The day they get PUBG working flawlessly I feel there will be a new king in town. Not saying it's going to be Blackout BR by any means as that mode is still attached to a £60 video game, but something may be king and PUBG will have missed its chance. 

I still think Halo would make for an exceptional BR game. I mean, if you look at how Halo multiplayer is, it's pretty much start with a pistol, go on the map and find weapons and power ups. The halo sandbox could easily translate to Battle Royale I think and it would be extremely fun. Cruising around a huge Halo ring with your buddies in a Warthog would be ace. Could have sections of the map like COD with Zombies where there's different enemy types to kill and they drop loot as a reward for killing them.  It's a shame they're so unwilling to "jump on the bandwagon", so to speak.  

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

I still think Halo would make for an exceptional BR game. I mean, if you look at how Halo multiplayer is, it's pretty much start with a pistol, go on the map and find weapons and power ups. The halo sandbox could easily translate to Battle Royale I think and it would be extremely fun. Cruising round a huge Halo ring with your buddies in a Warthog would be ace. Could have sections of the map like COD with Zombies where there's different enemy types to kill and they drop loot as a reward for killing them.  It's a shame they're so unwilling to "jump on the bandwagon", so to speak.  

I know 343 are staying tight lipped about Halo: Infinity other than confirming it is Halo 6, but they are putting in work to seemingly make an open world which would make for a convenient BR mode. 

I had never actually thought about how closely Halo follows the flow of BR games. It makes a lot of sense as as you said Halo is all about starting with something serviceable, but you ideally want the power weapons that are placed around the map. 

I could see a Halo BR. They even have overshields in Halo so you could spawn in without an overshield and the rarities of shield give you 50%, 75% and then 100% shield at Tier 3 if they want to go down that route. 

I wonder if they do have plans for a BR mode, but given Halo: Infinity likely isn't until 2020 they are waiting to see if BR's are still the hottest thing in gaming closer to its release. 

• Like 1

Â