Nvidia Shield

omariqy

Long story short - I was thinking of getting an android tv box and separately one of us those retro gaming consoles that plays all the old consoles. It seems my best bet is to get one of these that can do everything. Anyone have one? Is it as good as they say? Currently on for £154.99 on Amazon.

Nvidia Shield is incredible IMO.

I've had a few Andoid boxes over the years. Nothing compares. You're much better off buying a Nvidia Shield even at £155 rather than trying to get a cheaper device, they're just not worth it.

I stream 4k video with Dolby Atmos sound over the internet with ease on the Shield. It's a fantastic device.  

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Nvidia Shield is incredible IMO.

I've had a few Andoid boxes over the years. Nothing compares. You're much better off buying a Nvidia Shield even at £155 rather than trying to get a cheaper device, they're just not worth it.

I stream 4k video with Dolby Atmos sound over the internet with ease on the Shield. It's a fantastic device.  

Thanks mate. That's made up my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2018 at 13:23, villarule123 said:

So.. what will I get out of this if I don't need the TV stuff? I already have an Android TV so Kodi, Netflix isn't a problem, is the only use of this for me the retro gaming?

Gaming in general is the biggest benefit. You can use all the retro game emulators plus you get a free subscription to Geforce Now which is basically like steam i.e. you stream games for free. There's not a massive selection but some pretty good games. 

• 1 year later...

Revive an old thread...

Been looking at replacing my Acer Mini PC that acts as a HTPC in my lounge. It isn't used for anything other that locally stored (4TB External HDD) video files through Kodi. It doesn't handle 1080p brilliantly and 4K would be impossible when I upgrade the TV. I'm very early in to the research stage but I'm under impression that Windows HTPCs are kind of defunct now (I was initially thinking of a NUC for the upgrade)

Would the new Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) be a suitable replacement? Any extras, such as Netflix/ Prime Video, are great but the key is that I can still watch all my locally stored media (not streaming). 

Can't say what the Shield is like with streaming local media, but seeing as it can stream 4K video with Atmos audio over the internet, I think it will be just fine doing so with local media 😉

I love mine. Don't use it for gaming at all but it's the best thing I've bought for my home theater in a long time for playing media. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Can't say what the Shield is like with streaming local media, but seeing as it can stream 4K video with Atmos audio over the internet, I think it will be just fine doing so with local media 😉

I love mine. Don't use it for gaming at all but it's the best thing I've bought for my home theater in a long time for playing media. 

Thanks. But my plan isnt even streaming locally - it's plugging a External Harddrive in! Hear there can be issues with Kodi doing this?

49 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Thanks. But my plan isnt even streaming locally - it's plugging a External Harddrive in! Hear there can be issues with Kodi doing this?

Can't help you there, never tried. Can't imagine why you would have issues though. But can't really offer anything experience in this regard! Sorry!

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Put Plex Media Server on the Shield and watch your locally stored media everywhere in the world remotely.

Ok...talk me through baby steps as I have no idea about how Shield works! So plug in External HD and can watch like through Kodi but then there's also a feature that turns it into a cloud effectively? 

17 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Ok...talk me through baby steps as I have no idea about how Shield works! So plug in External HD and can watch like through Kodi but then there's also a feature that turns it into a cloud effectively? 

I dont use a shield for my Plex server (I use a windows 10 machine in the spare room) , but I know its a supported device. Have a read here...

https://support.plex.tv/articles/221099988-setting-up-and-managing-plex-media-server-on-nvidia-shield/

There are plenty youtube videos running you through the whole process. DM me if you have specific questions about Plex, I'll do my best to help.

Edited by stuart_75
  • Thanks 1

Â