The NSWE Board

Guest av1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd love it if we were legitimate regular top four challengers who could beat Man Utd twice, win an FA Cup, qualify for the CL. Bring it on!

I'd be overjoyed just to beat those arseholes once at this point! 

• Like 4

Wes edens is expanding his sports portfolio 

Captains of Industry: Wes Edens on the investment case for basketball in Africa

The potential for sports on the continent to turn into the next foreign direct investments pull has been highlighted by the success of the basketball Africa league but what will it take for more sports investment on the continent? CNBC Africa caught up with the Co-owner of the Milwaukee Bucks NBA team and Aston Villa English Premier League Club, Wes Edens for more.

https://www.cnbcafrica.com/2021/captains-of-industry-wes-edens-on-the-investment-case-for-basketball-in-africa/

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

For anyone interested as it stands the Milwaukee Bucks are probably 2nd favourites for the nba title at the minute. And they just spent the big bucks to get a competitive team. 

They spent their allocated salary cap..it's not the same comparison. They just spent it better than other teams.

• Like 2

Just now, Pissflaps said:

Oh wait I do apologise so it's not the same as the NFL? Where you have a total wage cap per season and you have to juggle the contracts over the years etc?

Sort of similar but there is no hard cap. And contracts are almost always fully guaranteed. 

So the salary cap in the nba is 112 mil. The luxury tax is 138 mil (give or take). But the bucks have 140 mil on the books for next season but 36 mil in cap holds for next season. Basically meaning they will have 160-170 mil in cap next year. Every dollar over the luxury tax amount costs an additional amount in brackets. So for the first X mil over it is 1.25 extra. And it increase by 0.5 dollars per dollar for each X million over you are. I can't remember whether it is 5 or 10. And the longer you are in the tax for the greater your bill. The bucks will have a big bill next year, a bigger bill the year after, and then the one after that as well. 

So yes Wes Edens and his bedfellows have spent the big bucks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I still think NSWE are missing a marketing trick. Villa have a history unlike any other team - the founders of the football league, the greatest team of the Victorian era. Why is there, for example, no Netflix film about this? It could do really well with the popularity of Peaky Blinders etc. It could be a drama, it could be a documentary, it could be interspersed with a current behind-the-scenes thing that capitalises on Jack, it could be many things.

There is a massive opportunity to increase the club's profile off the pitch now but I don't see much happening. Why? Other clubs are marketing themselves on TV (in quite uninspiring ways in my opinion) so I'd love to see Villa really push ahead with something special here. Come on NSWE, let's see if you can push the club on even more with off-the-pitch investment.

Well, I'd like to see it anyway...

The Netflix series sounds ace, however, it would sadly be inspired by a true story and about a team called Manchester United and starring Albert Beckam, Cyril Pogba and Eli Cantona.

36 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I still think NSWE are missing a marketing trick. Villa have a history unlike any other team - the founders of the football league, the greatest team of the Victorian era. Why is there, for example, no Netflix film about this? It could do really well with the popularity of Peaky Blinders etc. It could be a drama, it could be a documentary, it could be interspersed with a current behind-the-scenes thing that capitalises on Jack, it could be many things.

There is a massive opportunity to increase the club's profile off the pitch now but I don't see much happening. Why? Other clubs are marketing themselves on TV (in quite uninspiring ways in my opinion) so I'd love to see Villa really push ahead with something special here. Come on NSWE, let's see if you can push the club on even more with off-the-pitch investment.

Email the club the idea mate, got to be worth a punt

near the end which flicks from the double winning side to us lifting the European cup and then on to Jack

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I vote Ewan McGregor to play William McGregor. 

image.png.9c547cec23b2406256b506c2eb1292fa.png

image.png.711dad9704fc87cc17ff3facf31d1212.png

• Like 4

Not a bad idea to be honest. Billy Garratty being the great-great-grandfather of Jack would also help people associate with it. 

They make documentaries about any old tripe these days, so why not the best and historic club of all time?

• Like 3

On 04/06/2021 at 05:13, maqroll said:

I'd love it if we were legitimate regular top four challengers who could beat Man Utd twice, win an FA Cup, qualify for the CL. Bring it on!

Once... Just **** once would be enough for now! 

Â