The NSWE Board

Guest av1

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought Brexit had but the blockers on that?

Brexit doesn't affect non eu transfers and the poster is talking about the portuguese club bringing over south american players as a feeder club

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Brexit doesn't affect non eu transfers and the poster is talking about the portuguese club bringing over south american players as a feeder club

But doesn't Brexit make the difficulty in bringing players from Portugal and bringing clubs from South America pretty much the same?

Previously players went to Spain and Portugal and played long enough to become European citizens who we could then sign, now being a European citizen doesn't change anything for them.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But doesn't Brexit make the difficulty in bringing players from Portugal and bringing clubs from South America pretty much the same?

Previously players went to Spain and Portugal and played long enough to become European citizens who we could then sign, now being a European citizen doesn't change anything for them.

Ah I see what you are saying, the answer would be no because the idea would be to sign players and those that go on to be stars in this model would then be transferred on to the big club in the group which would be us.

In that scenario, you would think they would be able to meet the immigration rules for the UK.

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Ah I see what you are saying, the answer would be no because the idea would be to sign players and those that go on to be stars in this model would then be transferred on to the big club in the group which would be us.

In that scenario, you would think they would be able to meet the immigration rules for the UK.

From what I read at the time Brexit only affects the signing of under-18s with an EU member nationality. 

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

From what I read at the time Brexit only affects the signing of under-18s with an EU member nationality. 

No idea on the effects of the age of a player

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

No idea on the effects of the age of a player

It’s what I remember reading at the time but would need to go digging around for the articles - not tonight! 

Just now, Awol said:

It’s what I remember reading at the time but would need to go digging around for the articles - not tonight! 

I can't be bothered either, I trust that the billionaires know what they are doing :D

I think all we need to understand is what the general idea is for the purchase for us, which is simple. They buy players and if one is good enough we buy them on the cheap.

• Like 1

Football and Brexit: a guide to the new rules and their impact on clubs. Clubs know that bringing in players and managers from overseas will change dramatically on 1 January

“Taking back control” is not something most football clubs have had on their to-do list in recent years, at least not outside of possession statistics. The domestic game has thrived on the back of European immigration. A cosmopolitan system where German managers work with Portuguese fitness coaches to develop Spanish talent on English pitches has been central to the growth of the domestic game. Now Brexit is about to change all that.

From 1 January English football will change. European citizens will need a visa to work in the country. The criteria determining who qualifies have been the subject of lengthy negotiations between the Football Association, Premier League and EFL. They were finally agreed at the beginning of December, which means clubs have had just a month to get to know the new rules and fully implement them. Which is more than many industries can say.

In the short term
The new rules will have two immediate consequences: the first, that players from the EU hoping to move to England will be treated in the same way as players from the rest of the world; the second, that those EU players will have no problem getting in, as long as their CVs are impressive enough.

That’s not to say calculating the quality of a player’s career to date is not complicated. Lawyers are going to get a lot of work. In essence, however, the Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) which is awarded by the FA and enables players, managers, coaches and other staff to qualify for work visas is about points. Those points are awarded according to where you have played previously, for how long and at what kind of level. Qualify for 15 of them and, in the men’s game, you’re in.

If you want to buy Karim Benzema, can afford him, and can persuade him the UK is better than Madrid, it is going to be easy. In fact, a player over the age of 21 from a country ranked within Fifa’s top 50, who has played 70% of their country’s matches over the previous 24 months will automatically get a GBE.

Similarly, if you play for a club in a band 1 league (the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1) and appear on a teamsheet just the once, that is 12 points. Sit on the bench for a single Champions League group game and that is five more (should your club reach the final, those five points become 10, without you even having to be selected again).

Those topline figures send a clear signal: this settlement is designed to help English football continue to sign European names after Brexit.

It is when you go lower down the bands that things get trickier. Take Greece. The 2004 European champions are ranked 53rd in the world by Fifa, meaning a player could be ever-present as an international for two years but still earn only two points towards a GBE. The Greek Superliga is a band 4 competition. That means you get six points for being selected for a match in the past year and a maximum of six points more based on your appearance record. That means you are one short of qualifying for a GBE if you don’t play in Europe.

Apply the same situation to a Lithuanian in the Norwegian League and the chances of reaching 15 points are as slim as Brann winning the Champions League (which would get you 10 points).

So, on the surface, the new rules appear to meet the original objectives of the FA and the Premier League. The FA will get fewer imports of ordinary players, leaving room for neglected English talent to develop. The Premier League will still be able to bring in big names and, indeed, it is hard to find many examples of top-flight players who would have seen their transfers cancelled under the new regulations.

It is likely, though, that clubs in the EFL will feel an effect and particularly those in the Championship, such as Brentford or Norwich City, who have built models around acquiring talented players from obscure places. Bryan Mbeumo, the Brentford forward who is one of the best players in the Championship, came from the French second division with only limited first-team appearances and youth international caps. He would not have got a permit, as would have been the case with the Norwich striker Teemu Pukki as Finland fall outside the Fifa top 50 and his former club, Brøndby, compete in the Danish league, a band 5 competition.

The qualifying criteria for managers are simpler than those for players: 24 months consecutively or 36 months over the past five years working in any competition from band 1 to band 5. You also need a Uefa Pro licence and proof your English is good enough to, among other things, “describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans”. There is some debate as to whether Marcelo Bielsa would meet these criteria and Watford’s new Spanish head coach, Xisco Muñoz, whose previous job was with Dinamo Tbilisi, would certainly not.

Finally there are the staff and the days of an overseas manager turning up with all of his mates may be numbered. Any individual looking for a visa as a “Performance Manager” (which covers most coaching and sports science-related roles) requires a degree and five years’ experience in bands 1 to 5 or at international level.

All of the above refers to conditions imposed on the men’s game, but women’s teams will also need to apply for GBEs for new players and the points needed for qualification are even higher, with 24 the minimum. In terms of how points are awarded, there is an even greater emphasis on playing in top-tier competitions and for high-ranking nations. There are also no criteria for players under 21. It will be very difficult to sign a non-international from outside the world’s top eight leagues.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/28/football-and-brexit-a-guide-to-the-new-rules

I haven't posted the full article btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

No Portugal is a 2nd tier division in terms of visa points. Brazilian Divisions I don't even think is on the tier list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Wouldn't swap these guys for any other owners in the world.

Don't need to worry about their money coming from dubious means either (unless in the case of Wes you consider high finance to be a dubious means 😉). 

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Wouldn't swap these guys for any other owners in the world.

Love what they are doing, but they will one day reach their investment limit. They are businessmen and not oligarchs or state entities that can just burn money - like the owners of Chelsea, PSG and ManCity. That's why annual progression is really important, otherwise I fear a Randy Lerner type scenario where they come to a conclusion that the gap with the top 4/6 clubs  cannot be bridged.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Love what they are doing, but they will one day reach their investment limit. They are businessmen and not oligarchs or state entities that can just burn money - like the owners of Chelsea, PSG and ManCity. That's why annual progression is really important, otherwise I fear a Randy Lerner type scenario where they come to a conclusion that the gap with the top 4/6 clubs  cannot be bridged.

How long has Wes Eden’s been involved at the bucks? I feel he is fully aware of how much money might be needed to see this through but I think there is a whole sustainability plan in the background but I think these guys know that it’s a fair way off right now. 

55 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

How long has Wes Eden’s been involved at the bucks? I feel he is fully aware of how much money might be needed to see this through but I think there is a whole sustainability plan in the background but I think these guys know that it’s a fair way off right now. 

NBA is a totally different financial model. 

The reason we've been signing older academy players is partly because of how the academy had been neglected before the current regime got here, there has not been enough players good enough coming through from the younger age groups, Mark Harrison himself said when he was first appointed that we were letting too many of the best local players go to our rivals when they should be coming to us, Louie Barry going to West Brom being the most obvious example...

As well as signing players around 14,15 and 16, we're also signing a lot of younger players and also putting thing in place like academies across the country and initiatives with local schools to make sure we don't miss out on players from an early age like we used to.

I'm sure we will continue to buy players around the age of sixteen, but I don't think that will be the main strategy, the main focus will be to bring through our own players from a very early age and coach them up, which is pretty much the whole point of an academy... A mixture of the two is what you need really.

NSWE deserve credit, as does Purslow who is presumably the one who bought Mark Harrison to the club who's over seeing a lot of the changes we've been making.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

NBA is a totally different financial model. 

Exactly you can't compare spending in American sports to here. Over there the owners don't really spend much personal wealth to make a team successful. It's just not the same as football here 

10 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Yep, fully agree

providing some kinda skullduggery is found against us.....these so called top 6 will stop at nothing.

Â