The NSWE Board

Guest av1

I recall Purslow specifically stating that stadium redevelopment was NOT on the near-term agenda.  Furthermore, match-day revenue is increasingly a smaller portion of a club's revenues and due to modern  viewing habits stadium attendances will probably decline in the future, thus I would think increasing stadium capacity is not really a big priority.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

Nice to see Sawiris in the stands at Craven Cottage. I like the visage of this guy. Good to have what appears to be competent owners who are strategic and have the funds to build the club back up. 

I wish they'd use this Covid season to rebuild the North Stand and fill in the corners.

Feels like we are up to stay!

Slightly off topic but did you see the wooden seats where he was sat? I said to my old man that’s our billionaire owner sat in a shed of a stadium. Say what you want about everyone wanting to invest in London but our structure is substantially better than a team with a SW postcode. 

Edited by SuperTed
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I recall Purslow specifically stating that stadium redevelopment was NOT on the near-term agenda.  Furthermore, match-day revenue is increasingly a smaller portion of a club's revenues and due to modern  viewing habits stadium attendances will probably decline in the future, thus I would think increasing stadium capacity is not really a big priority.

Whilst that’s true Purslow did say there were no ground development plans, nobody could have predicted the last 6 months.

I get your point about match day attendance but I’m not sure you’re right. It’s not just about money through the gate and selling hotdogs, it’s about engaging fans and creating a buzz around the club. Without the fans at matches the spectacle is lost. Eventually the magic goes and TV goes too. I know an ex pro up here in Scotland and he says he has lost interest without the crowds. 

We may see this as an opportunity to develop during this period. I also think that whilst we have a reduced income from attendance we can have a complete rethink about revenue streams. Grounds won’t be shut forever. Reduce prices on the gate and get 50/60K every week. That benefits us in so many ways. It’s time to give the game back to the fans and we can take the lead in this. The greatest club on earth needs to stand up and give us all our game back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperTed said:

Slightly off topic but did you see the wooden seats where he was sat? I said to my old man that’s our billionaire owner sat in a shed of a stadium. Say what you want about everyone wanting to invest in London but our structure is substantially better than a team with a SW postcode. 

In all fairness they are currently building a new stand which is very impressive. It will have all the top class corporate stuff to milk London money for all it's worth. 

I still don't buy the "it's not worth investing in new facilities" line. 

Clubs all over the country at all levels are building new stadiums and new stands.  I am a little involved in this through work and there is loads of stuff going on.  Why are they all doing this if it's not worth it? 

I've done corporate in The North Stand and it's really not up to scratch. 

I am sure once we are clearly established in The PL they will look at The North Stand. 

They are smart people who will have watched sport in all sorts of amazing stadiums around the world. No way can they look at The North Stand and think its up to scratch. 

After all we don't want to be competing in The Champions League like they claim to be aiming for with a stadium end looking like a home for tramps. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

Has anyone seen the Tottenham All or Nothing programme on Amazon Prime? 

A lot of that, i wish we had. They have the shiny new modern looking stadium that is a complete arena (corners). But just looking at the quality of the changing rooms and the various bits of technology that can be used - as a player you would want to be a part of all that. Not to mention that setup they have at the training facilities - I have no idea how close ours is to matching that? 

If we have an environment that players really want to be a part of, that can be an advantage in a variety of ways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whilst that’s true Purslow did say there were no ground development plans, nobody could have predicted the last 6 months.

I get your point about match day attendance but I’m not sure you’re right. It’s not just about money through the gate and selling hotdogs, it’s about engaging fans and creating a buzz around the club. Without the fans at matches the spectacle is lost. Eventually the magic goes and TV goes too. I know an ex pro up here in Scotland and he says he has lost interest without the crowds. 

We may see this as an opportunity to develop during this period. I also think that whilst we have a reduced income from attendance we can have a complete rethink about revenue streams. Grounds won’t be shut forever. Reduce prices on the gate and get 50/60K every week. That benefits us in so many ways. It’s time to give the game back to the fans and we can take the lead in this. The greatest club on earth needs to stand up and give us all our game back. 

Well Purslow has said its not happening - so that's good enough for me. To a greater or lesser extent COVID is going to squeeze everyones finances  - I couldn't possibly see a multi million investment in the stadium right now, with no real hope of supporters being in stadiums at the very earliest next spring , and the next time VP is packed out with 35,000 ? - that could be two years away or more. Be absolutely barmy to invest millions in a new stand right now.

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Has anyone seen the Tottenham All or Nothing programme on Amazon Prime? 

A lot of that, i wish we had. They have the shiny new modern looking stadium that is a complete arena (corners). But just looking at the quality of the changing rooms and the various bits of technology that can be used - as a player you would want to be a part of all that. Not to mention that setup they have at the training facilities - I have no idea how close ours is to matching that? 

If we have an environment that players really want to be a part of, that can be an advantage in a variety of ways. 

I went to the spurs stadium to watch some NFL about a year ago - really impressive - massively better than Wembley IME.

Edited by hippo

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well Purslow has said its not happening - so that's good enough for me. To a greater or lesser extent COVID is going to squeeze everyones finances  - I couldn't possibly see a multi million investment in the stadium right now, with no real hope of supporters being in stadiums at the very earliest next spring , and the next time VP is packed out with 35,000 ? - that could be two years away or more. Be absolutely barmy to invest millions in a new stand right now.

I’d like to think that NSWE and the club are thinking a little further into the future than a couple of years when it comes to infrastructure. Particularly as investment on infrastructure doesn’t count towards FFP.

Purslow’s comments were made before all this kicked off. I’m not saying it will or even should happen but the goal posts have been moved and so perhaps the board’s thinking may have changed too?

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

I went to the spurs stadium to watch some NFL about a year ago - really impressive - massively better than Wembley IME.

Wembley is shit though. How the hell they spent so much money and ended up with that is beyond me. 

You can't even get put of the bloody place after a match. 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d like to think that NSWE and the club are thinking a little further into the future than a couple of years when it comes to infrastructure. Particularly as investment on infrastructure doesn’t count towards FFP. 

Well Purslow has said even before covid that there are no stadium plans in the pipeline. Im taking that at face value. Sure he could be planning a major stadium rebuild and not telling anyone - but somehow I doubt it. It might not count towards FFP - but the money still has to found. I would just take him at his word - there are currently no plans to develop Villa Park staduims. After the millions they have pumped in and how have progressed under NSWE - Im fine with it.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wembley is shit though. How the hell they spent so much money and ended up with that is beyond me. 

You can't even get put of the bloody place after a match. 

Couldn't agree more - it hasn't even got a dedicated coach park. The approach roads are abysmal. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Beautiful restored Archibald Leitch designed wooden seats? 

If only we'd done something to keep ours in the Trinity Road. :(

Except they didn't seem beautifully restored on that close up of Sawiris. Unless the 'burnt out stand' look was intended.

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well Purslow has said even before covid that there are no stadium plans in the pipeline. Im taking that at face value. Sure he could be planning a major stadium rebuild and not telling anyone - but somehow I doubt it. It might not count towards FFP - but the money still has to found. I would just take him at his word - there are currently no plans to develop Villa Park staduims. After the millions they have pumped in and how have progressed under NSWE - Im fine with it.

I’m fine with it too and largely agree with you. Logic is certainly on your side. But you never know and if we continue to progress ahead of schedule on the pitch then perhaps plans off the pitch will move forwards more quickly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m fine with it too and largely agree with you. Logic is certainly on your side. But you never know and if we continue to progress ahead of schedule on the pitch then perhaps plans off the pitch will move forwards more quickly. 

Would be nice. But considering we faced a winding up order only 2 years ago - I can live without a shiny new stadium for a while longer !   

• Like 1

I don't think people are truly appreciating the task in re-doing the North Stand.

It won't be a case of calling the builders in, knocking it down next week and have it back up and running for fans in March.

Significant planning will need to go into it for months prior. The current pandemic therefore isn't going to be a time to do it.

Right now we need to build our playing squad up for a few years and establish ourselves in the PL. The stadium can wait.

I've said it before but we are a fickle fan base, while the times are good Villa Park is a great place to be full of positivity, but when the bad times hit it becomes toxic quickly and empty seats appear. We shouldn't be rushing into anything right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I went to watch Villa there last year. Wouldn't swap it for VP in a million years. 

• Like 3

Â