Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
av1

The NSWE Board

Recommended Posts

I remember quite a lot of post last time we went down who thought it would be good for us.

We would get a season (as in 1 season) to rebuild in the Championship and then go straight up with a stronger squad and build from there.

Europe withing 5 seasons or whatever nonsense it was.

We ended up spending 3 seasons down there, changed owners twice, almost went bust and had to sell our stadium. We came up pretty much without any team at all and by the look of it are going straight back down.

I feel a lot more confident about our current owners but there is just so much that can happen, especially with Covid-19 being a thing and the (football) economy imploding.

You don't get time to rebuild in the Championship, not a club like Villa. Too much money involved and even if the owners are once again fine with covering our losses we have to go straight back up.

If we don't I fear they will start to lose interest. I know I will.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure Norwich and either Bournemouth/westham/watford feel as confident as we would.

We will lose the apine of the team thats why i am concerned. When you lose a spine its very difficult to replace it in one window.  We certianly need better strikers and wingers if we have any hope of coming up

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's us, Norwich and Bournemouth - well Norwich will rely on what they've already got (I mean who will they attract to that side of the country even paying cash?) and Bournemouth could absolutely sink - their wage bill is out of control and relegation will be a disaster for them. There will always be well run clubs in position to come up too - we know you have to keep winning in that league, but I agree with others - we have something to work with now, let alone NSWE resources and the experience of doing this all as of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think was Xia who mentioned Europe in 5 years last time and not fans. Think he also wanted to build 3 squads and a theme park 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think was Xia who mentioned Europe in 5 years last time and not fans. Think he also wanted to build 3 squads and a theme park 

Yeah it was Xia. 

There's been some pretty bullish statements from this guys as well.

Again I feel more secure under these guys, but it was only in hindsight that Xia's first year was seem as a disaster.

NSWE has done all you can ask of them, it hasn't worked out but here we are. But just like last time I don't like the "will be fine to get relegated and rebuild in peace and go straight back again" 

Best case scenario with relegation it sets us back a year, we lose Grealish (he'll likely be gone either way but I bet we get more as a PL side) and a few other top players and we miss out on £150m or so that our owners have to cover while the teams we hope to one day compete with in the PL get even stronger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I don't want to get relegated and I'm not embracing it but this and previously are night and day. 

Last time I felt like it was the end of the club, this time I know that if it happens next year will be very enjoyable as a fan and we genuinely have a chance at winning the title.

I'm king of in between. I actually much prefer the Championship as a league so much more fun than the Prem. That said it's a tough league so I don't see us bouncing back as a given. It took 3 yrs last time. It looks like we'd be better positioned this time but who knows sport is a funny thing. 

I'm also very mindful of how we got on last year without Grealish. Not good. It'll be a rebuild and as ever in football if you rebuild with feces you get worse not better. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I'm king of in between

That must make your opinions very balanced. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sne said:

I remember quite a lot of post last time we went down who thought it would be good for us.

We would get a season (as in 1 season) to rebuild in the Championship and then go straight up with a stronger squad and build from there.

Europe withing 5 seasons or whatever nonsense it was.

We ended up spending 3 seasons down there, changed owners twice, almost went bust and had to sell our stadium. We came up pretty much without any team at all and by the look of it are going straight back down.

I feel a lot more confident about our current owners but there is just so much that can happen, especially with Covid-19 being a thing and the (football) economy imploding.

You don't get time to rebuild in the Championship, not a club like Villa. Too much money involved and even if the owners are once again fine with covering our losses we have to go straight back up.

If we don't I fear they will start to lose interest. I know I will.

One positive is at least the fans came back. Were selling out at back end of that run in and 40k + continued in premier league. I'm sure with all the issues over last six months crowds will dip a bit but would still expect 35k + to start with and rise if we get off to a good start. Doubt we'll have to close the upper Trinity this time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jareth said:

If it's us, Norwich and Bournemouth - well Norwich will rely on what they've already got (I mean who will they attract to that side of the country even paying cash?) and Bournemouth could absolutely sink - their wage bill is out of control and relegation will be a disaster for them. There will always be well run clubs in position to come up too - we know you have to keep winning in that league, but I agree with others - we have something to work with now, let alone NSWE resources and the experience of doing this all as of last season. 

Seems like Norwich have been preparing for relegation the minute they went up. Trying to do what Burnley did from summer 2015 and come back much stronger. Given all the talk of us losing key players I'd be interested to see if they hang onto their young full backs, Krul, Todd Cantwell and Buendia. You can certainly see Watford if they stay up, Palace and even a Leicester being interested in a few of those. Not sure Pukki will score as much as last time.

Worth noting they came down with us last time and finished 8th.

Yeah can see Bournemouth really struggling even more so if they lose Howe as for all his faults over last year he still knows the club inside out. Will lose key players for sure (Ake already being linked with Man. City) and really can't see that group of players they've had for about 20 years (Francis, Cook, Daniels, Surman etc) doing much back in championship. Reminds me of when Sunderland hung onto O'Shea and Cattermole about they went down.

You really need a fresh set of young and enthuastic group of players for championship football otherwise the club just continues losing.

If Fulham, Leeds and WBA all still go up it looks a pretty weak league to me in terms of at the top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

One positive is at least the fans came back. Were selling out at back end of that run in and 40k + continued in premier league. I'm sure with all the issues over last six months crowds will dip a bit but would still expect 35k + to start with and rise if we get off to a good start. Doubt we'll have to close the upper Trinity this time.

As long as there will be fans allowed at the stadiums at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what we should be doing if we really want to crack on.

Lille owners are buying 51% of top-flight Portugese side Boavista to set up a link between the two.

Any good youth players can go there and get first team football, plus you have many people on the ground in Portugal identifying players.

This is why City will probably be winning 15 of the next 25 available trophies, they've got sides everywhere.

We need to act early and not be left too far behind before football eats itself and collapses :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wes Edens was linked with buying F.C. Copenhagen in January of last year, but nothing came of it presumably.

Sawiris's brothers both own football clubs as well, one in Egypt and one Switzerland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...
Â