The NSWE Board

Guest av1

8 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Not necessarily. As of 2023 season two additional CL places will be available  to highest coefficient teams that fail to qualify from their league. Perfect failsafe for Manutd or Liverpool. We could realistically see 6 Premier League teams in the CL at that point.

Do you know how that will affect the Europa League allocations?

So for example if the top five in England are in the Champions league, and one of them wins the FA Cup, do we then have the League Cup winners and the teams in 6th, 7th and 8th into the Europa League and the 9th placed team into the Europa Conference?

If there are six in the Champions league and they win both domestic cups, do 7th-10th all qualify for Europa League and 11th the Europa Conference?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Exactly.

I take comfort from the fact these guys aren't idiots. Unless they pump billions in  we aren't getting Europe. Whilst they publicly state Europe  is the aim - I'm hoping they don't just throw in the towel because we don't get it.

They spent nothing in the summer. We only used the Grealish money. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd say that while it adds a team we'll struggle to compete with, it damages others.

Liverpool and Man Utd will be battling for one Champions league place before too long and Spurs and Arsenal aren't going to see that Champions league money again for a long, long time - it'll bring those two teams in particular closer to us.

It makes life difficult for us, but it's an absolute body blow for a team that have budgeted for the champions league and an NFL team to pay for their stadium - for Spurs and Arsenal, this is a complete game changer - they're now the biggest teams in our group, not the smallest teams in the top group.

I'd say there are three to five teams that we're going to struggle to compete with and two big ones that just stumbled a little closer to us.

That's a really good point.  There are only so many truly top class players in the world and the more clubs that can afford them the more duluted that group becomes. 

The chance of overpaying for a wrong un also increases. 

You could argue that the opportunity for a smart well run team who make good decisions actually increases.  And there are few smart teams as well run as us. 

NSWE aren't just about dick waving and splashing cash. They're about infrastructure, long term investments and analytics. 

If our academy turns out the best 11 players this country can produce we're halfway there before spending a penny. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hippo said:

Exactly.

I take comfort from the fact these guys aren't idiots. Unless they pump billions in  we aren't getting Europe. Whilst they publicly state Europe  is the aim - I'm hoping they don't just throw in the towel because we don't get it.

It dosen't take mega millions to win an Fa or league cup. It helps but a few teams in last decade have won both (and then quickly got relegated). Infact if you said to Newcastle fans that in next three seasons they'd win a league cup they'd probably all take that given how long they've waited to see them win something while of course long term goal for them is qualifying for CL which is realistic for them now.

Same for us but we're further down the road. Hopefully we can challenge for europa this season, certainly have to be next season otherwise key players will get frustrated and want to leave.

We've got a solid base now and a pretty good squad of players, will take Newcastle 2-3 years to build up like that so we simply have to use that timeframe to our advantage and achieve things in that time.

We came close but ultimately didn't when Man. City were taken over in August 2008 and then they flew past us from August 2010.

One good thing imo is it was always a disaster under Lerner replacing a manager or key player. If you look under this ownership they sacked Bruce after two months and eventually got in DS so that's a big tick given what he's achieved in three years. And we've replaced Gr***ish o.k from what we've produced from most of this season with more to come from returning players.

No need to panic just yet. In two years time it will be interesting to see what direction we're travelling but have faith in meantime as we've generally done o.k since October 2018.

15 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Newcastle takeover makes our job more difficult but it doesn't dramatically changed the picture.

Now we have 4 teams we cannot possibly compete with (and another 2 that we have little chance to compete with),soon we will have 5. 

We still gonna have a chance for an occasional European qualification if we are managed astutely.

I think it's worth remembering if another club comes onto the scene as Newcastle inevitably will that means one of the established "super league" ones will have a poorer season.

Think back  to the MON years and how consistant Liverpool were under Benitez. They then had a pretty poor 3-4 years after he left and even first 2 years under Klopp weren't that convincing.

You wouldn't have believed a decade ago Arsenal would now be finishing 8th in the prem given they were pretty much top 4 under Wenger. Same is now happening to Spurs who'll be spending a few years rebuilding.

Man. United had a few seasons post Fergie finishing 5th or 6th and Chelsea had the odd season way off the pace straight after winning a title.

Man. City as it stands only team really who can withstand a massive drop but who knows post Guardiola. Their intensity will start to drop and they might have a couple of dodgy managerial picks as he'll obviously be very tough to replace.

Key for us when 2-3 of those have mediocre seasons by their standards is to be well set ourselves rather than have to be replacing key players or even the manager regularly. That's what Leicester have been good at and so while they haven't finished top 4, they've come as close as you can get in last two years and also won the FA cup.

I'm not sure it really matters that much to Nas and Wes, we have clearly decided to go a completely different path under them, if we somehow pull it off and usurp one of the so-called big 6 then we can do it to several of them at the same time regardless of what insanity Newcastle bring to the PL.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 14:44, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I wouldn't swap these 2 for any body, not even Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates, with elon Musk and Warren Buffet as a directors......errrrrrrrrrrrr...Hold on a minute, I might have gone too far, here.😀

No......I love our 2....its not just their money, its their outlook too....They just feel so right as a fit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

forbes reporting that NS net worth has increased again to £6.2bn, means he's now worth around £1bn more than when he bought us

the MLS team is rumoured to have around a £240m buy in, from what i saw when the first rumours come out there are 2 vegas proposals, NSWE want to use the brand spanking new raiders stadium whereas the other one wants to use the university stadium, would have thought the MLS like the sound of using the better one

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

forbes reporting that NS net worth has increased again to £6.2bn, means he's now worth around £1bn more than when he bought us

the MLS team is rumoured to have around a £240m buy in, from what i saw when the first rumours come out there are 2 vegas proposals, NSWE want to use the brand spanking new raiders stadium whereas the other one wants to use the university stadium, would have thought the MLS like the sound of using the better one

I would think that the progressive success on the field at the Bucks and Villa, would also put NWSE in the pound seats....They have a clear success of progression in 2 huge clubs.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Him and Wes combined now have a new worth close to Roman Abromovich do they not?

We are healthier than we think!

• Like 2

I think it's the Sawiris family that technically owns us along with Wes Edens, because when the takeover was initially announced it was announced as Sawiris' NNS Group, and I've since read that that company is owned by the Sawiris family with Nassef being the head of it after his father stepped down. Not that it matters in terms of how much we're going to spend anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

I think it's the Sawiris family that technically owns us along with Wes Edens, because when the takeover was initially announced it was announced as Sawiris' NNS Group, and I've since read that that company is owned by the Sawiris family with Nassef being the head of it after his father stepped down. Not that it matters in terms of how much we're going to spend anyway.

Well whatever, I still like the clout lol.

Isn't the family worth 30 bill or something?

Edit: 36 billion dollars.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

On 10/10/2021 at 02:18, QldVilla said:

I'd rather have our current owners of the club over any of the others in the PL.

This isn't about money, its about building infrastructure for the long term benefit of the club and community, having the best coaching set up from grassroots to elite and the best culture for the club to be successful.

It isn't built overnight, nor is it bought. It will take time and patience from supporters and when we win trophies, which we will, it will be because we did it the right way and will be long term.

It doesn't really need to take that much time though. We've gone from mid table championship to mid table prem in 3 years mainly on the back of huge investment in the playing side.

If that investment continues then we will continue to climb - perhaps not as fast . The hard work starts now. The problem is now you see less return on you're investment.another £200m might get us 6th - 8th ! 

The big danger now is the investment in the playing side dries up or slows down. And without that investment we will stagnate or even go backwards. No matter how many 16 year olds we buy.

Â