The NSWE Board

Guest av1

We're at the behest of our owners and have been for some time. For better or worse and unfortunately foreign ownership has nearly destroyed our club. It's easy to get carried away with thinking that our new owners are lovely benefactors or custodians like Randy Lerner said he was, but the reality is we don't really know their intentions, but it is safe to say that they're not plowing money into a failing club for the pleasure of spending.

They can do what they want, which is fine if all goes well. But people come and go and becoming reliant on two fairly old rich guys for the continuity and future of the club makes me nervous indeed. 

It's not something that colours my footballing experience, I still enjoy going to games, but I would like to see sustainable fan ownership of the club. 

I think our FFP situation improves some once the relegation season and its very large losses drop out of the calculation period, but I think the losses we're making in the Championship will still leave us with some problems - albeit hopefully surmountable ones.

As ever, this spring's accounts should help us understand/confuse us further.

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re probably right, but men in expensive suits with expensive lawyers always seem to ask the right questions to the right people and get the answers they like. You and me probably wouldn’t get planning permission for a garden shed, but it’s amazing how planners see things differently when sitting down to dinner at the Savoy. I’m not suggesting anything improper of course, but apparently fine dining washed down with a selection from the very impressive cellar, brings out genuinely creative thinking. 

When I was 16 (1988) I worked in a fishmonger shop in Erdington (Brum for those who don't know) and I used to regularly serve a really scruffy looking old man. He looked like a homeless man. My boss - the shop owner - told me that the old scruffy fella had a load of his land bought off him by Maccy D's for a million quid. He lived near Bodymoor Heath! 

As I said, that's prime estate out there and must be worth a fortune. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

When I was 16 (1988) I worked in a fishmonger shop in Erdington (Brum for those who don't know) and I used to regularly serve a really scruffy looking old man. He looked like a homeless man. My boss - the shop owner - told me that the old scruffy fella had a load of his land bought off him by Maccy D's for a million quid. He lived near Bodymoor Heath! 

As I said, that's prime estate out there and must be worth a fortune. 

Depends what you mean by a fortune 10, 20, 30 million quid - serious dosh to that scruffy old bloke - but in the modern football game, though welcome its not a game changer.

we were also warned on here by the leeds fans of the pitfalls of selling your training ground and leasing it back.

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends what you mean by a fortune 10, 20, 30 million quid - serious dosh to that scruffy old bloke - but in the modern football game, though welcome its not a game changer.

we were also warned on here by the leeds fans of the pitfalls of selling your training ground and leasing it back.

They did worse than that, they sold Elland Road. At the time their owners were desperate desperados, hopefully ours are merely playing about with bits of paper to placate ffp. 

Essentially we need to use the same accountants as Amazon who manage to show their annual tax liability as less than the local newsagent. Except in reverse when talking to the EFL. 

• Haha 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/whats-happening-tony-xia-aston-15647966

Beleaguered Chinese businessman Tony Xia is no longer a person of ‘significant control’ at Aston Villa, Companies House has revealed.

Xia’s stake in the club has dropped below 25 per cent with Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens tightening their grip on power within the Villa Park boardroom.

Thank McGrath for that ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We have now gone toe to toe with two PL clubs over two of our most significant players this season and they are both still with us. Perhaps we won’t always come out on top and the window is still open, but the significance of their resolve and ability to not be swatted aside, shouldn’t be underestimated. And all done without grand statements to the press or daft nonsense on Twitter. When you’ve really got it you don’t have to flaunt it. 

This. 

If we’re honest as entertaining as it was. We were a bit of a comedy act off the field last season with the tweets and Alexa video, villa engine interviews etc.

I appreciate some people liked it though which is fair enough. 

But the club does seem a lot more professional with the way they are doing things now. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the tweets at the time and all that other sideshow stuff. Well, the Alexa thing was fairly cringeworthy but I liked the playful tone of it, rather the actual content if that makes sense.

But looking back, yes the whole lot was ****ing daft really. 

I extended way to much goodwill to Xia & Wyness due to the deafening silence from Randy for several years. I wanted to believe it all, which was enough to get me on board.The enthusiasm was there, which was fairly infectious. Unfortunately it was just built on nothing but bullshit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We have now gone toe to toe with two PL clubs over two of our most significant players this season and they are both still with us. Perhaps we won’t always come out on top and the window is still open, but the significance of their resolve and ability to not be swatted aside, shouldn’t be underestimated. And all done without grand statements to the press or daft nonsense on Twitter. When you’ve really got it you don’t have to flaunt it. 

But Abraham isn't out player so I don't understand how we went toe-to-toe against Wolves?  Their stance on Grealish was admirable and desperately needed, but I don't think they be given credit for Abraham.  If Chelsea had decided to recall him as per the apparent terms of the loan agreement, there is nothing they really could have done?

• Like 2

The choice was ultimately Tammy’s to envoke the loan recall - if he wanted to go to Wolves. Most players would have gone to play in the premiership. 

Clearly, a number of people at the club have been in Tammy’s ear about why he is better served by staying with us. Smith, Terry, other coaches, players etc and maybe even the owners.

Everyone involved deserves immense credit for convincing him to stay. Even if they didn’t directly intervene, the owners deserve a lot of credit for creating an environment that facilitated that.

1 hour ago, cudoz said:

But Abraham isn't out player so I don't understand how we went toe-to-toe against Wolves?  Their stance on Grealish was admirable and desperately needed, but I don't think they be given credit for Abraham.  If Chelsea had decided to recall him as per the apparent terms of the loan agreement, there is nothing they really could have done?

You’re right in saying that ultimately we are powerless to stop Chelsea recalling him and moving him on to Wolves or anywhere else, at least until 15th Jan. But I think that there is a change in the way we are now perceived by other clubs and the way we deal with other clubs. In a nutshell  we now take ourselves seriously and so does the rest of the football world. We’ve been run like a joke for years and been treated that way. 

On the surface of it Tammy was given the choice and he chose us. I’m not sure he would have made the same decision last year. It’s still very early days for the new regime, but things look more promising than they have for a while. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right in saying that ultimately we are powerless to stop Chelsea recalling him and moving him on to Wolves or anywhere else, at least until 15th Jan. But I think that there is a change in the way we are now perceived by other clubs and the way we deal with other clubs. In a nutshell  we now take ourselves seriously and so does the rest of the football world. We’ve been run like a joke for years and been treated that way. 

On the surface of it Tammy was given the choice and he chose us. I’m not sure he would have made the same decision last year. It’s still very early days for the new regime, but things look more promising than they have for a while. 

Can't argue with that Dave. We have been ran like a circus and treated like clowns.

Thankfully that now appears to a thing of the past.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dounavilla said:

🤼‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🏃‍♂️x3🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🏃‍♂️🤷‍♂️👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩+3×56

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?!?!?!

Yes, dounavilla was playing wrestling, hurt is head twice so went for a walk round the block 3 times but his head still hurt and he had no idea why. So he thought **** it and went out for another walk not knowing why but decided to find a couple of hookers for a threesome and they were both 56.

Yes I'm bored.

• Haha 2

Â