Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

A lamb to the slaughter, or a time to get behind the team?

A question I've asked myself about Steve Bruce's Aston Villa several times during his tenure. I have to be honest with you, I have been a waverer. I really am not sure what is best for the club at this time. To me, the owners need to come out and back him if that is there plan. Put the current naysaying, whether right or wrong to bed. Let's get back on track, or at least try to for a little longer. The Sheffield United performance, and result was a kind of shocker... a wake up call for the club that has been kind of pointing a finger at its own chin, kind of 'begging to be decked.' That's how the performances in the main have seemed to be, and seemed to feel for us as fans.

So what of Blackburn... It's a crucial game for Bruce... the players and for us as fans. It's a chance for Sky to put the knife in... to reveal Aston Villa as the crisis club once again. They will revel in it... the focus on last season's 'hysteria' and the current 'antagonism' being generated now by even the away fans. The usual 'Villa is a sleeping giant' mantra will be spouted by whatever pro-Villa summariser is on board for the broadcast. Not sure what to expect in terms of team selection, or what kind of performance to expect other than... it MUST be better than what was seen at Bramhall Lane... Otherwise, the manager will be a lamb to the slaughter... and we go back to square one.

Another wasted season.

• Like 3

This will be the 159th league meeting between these two founder members of the football league. We have won 66 and drawn 33. They won 1-0 on our last visit to Ewood Park in April of last year and 5-1 on our first visit to their earlier Leamington Road ground in 1888.

They were first relegated in 1936 as were we alongside them. They also have a proud history having won the FA Cup six times, the League Cup once and having been League Champions on three occasions. They were founded in 1875 following a meeting organised by Arthur Constantine and John Lewis (no relation).:D

We really have to bounce back from our embarrassing defeat in Sheffield.The international break appears to have come at a good time for us for once (it should offer us time to select the right defence from the players we have, to possibly add another out of contract defender and to do some belated work in organising what is currently masquerading as our back four).

Our last league win at Blackburn was in 2009. We really need another and a first clean sheet of the season. We are currently above Blackburn on goal difference only. We are bottom of the top half of the table and they top the bottom half of it. Win it Villa (2-0 would be nice).

• Like 2

I think after the shitshow that was Sheffield United away SB will have to attempt to play players in more natural positions. Also, with the likes of Abraham and Bolaise getting time on the training pitch we should be able to pick a side with enough to win this game. But the team needs to be set up with pace and the ability to keep hold of the ball. 

It would be great to see a team set up like this:

Nyland

Elmo Chester Tuan Taylor

Grealish BB McGinn

Bolaise Abraham ElGazhi

Nyland still No 1 for me, getting a lot of stick but the defence has been woeful and left him so exposed. Taylor for Hutton as he's been nothing short of shocking so far this season. Tuan to CB is a no-brainer and you can still use Jedi at DM off the bench if you need to see out the game. 

With subs like Albert, Hourihane, Kodija you can still change the game if/ when players get tired. 

• Like 1

Too soon for Bolasie I understand Herman 22. I would play Hourihane instead and Cafu ahead of Taylor. I would also like to start Kodjia wide as well as Abraham to give us a goal threat up front as well as one at the back. Will it be a case of picking names out of a hat though?

OK after nailing last week's starting 11 I've proven I'm clearly a genius.  So instead of Ctrl-B Ctrl-ruce I'll go with what I'd LIKE to see* next week.

If it is too soon for Bolasie then move Elmo up the wing and put De Laet in at RB.

2c402225e99da3a43099b4da1098c7df.png

I'm confident McGinn would be cover enough for the centre backs and I think using players in their rightful positions would strengthen us straight away anyway.  Plus if it doesn't work, and you end up being shite in defence anyway, why not just be really really good at the forwardy stuff?

* and therefore definitely won't see.

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

OK after nailing last week's starting 11 I've proven I'm clearly a genius.  So instead of Ctrl-B Ctrl-ruce I'll go with what I'd LIKE to see* next week.

If it is too soon for Bolasie then move Elmo up the wing and put De Laet in at RB.

2c402225e99da3a43099b4da1098c7df.png

I'm confident McGinn would be cover enough for the centre backs and I think using players in their rightful positions would strengthen us straight away anyway.  Plus if it doesn't work, and you end up being shite in defence anyway, why not just be really really good at the forwardy stuff?

* and therefore definitely won't see.

Sorry BOF but I have to disagree. I've seen a few of these 1 in midfield type scenarios and I really dont get the thinking. 

In order to be attacking you have to earn the right to dominate the game not just throw lots of attacking players on to the pitch. This was the type of stuff Lambert and McLeish used to do and it never ever ever worked. 

It was also a major part of the problem on Saturday with McGinn and Whelan getting completely overrun in midfield which caused us to get absolutely humped. 

We need to play three in midfield with Grealish being one of those. We also need to choose three from Abraham, Kodjia, el Ghazi and Bolasie. As you say I'm not sure Bolasie will be fit enough to start against Blackburn so it may well choose itself first time around. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Sorry BOF but I have to disagree. I've seen a few of these 1 in midfield type scenarios and I really dont get the thinking. 

In order to be attacking you have to earn the right to dominate the game not just throw lots of attacking players on to the pitch. This was the type of stuff Lambert and McLeish used to do and it never ever ever worked. 

It was also a major part of the problem on Saturday with McGinn and Whelan getting completely overrun in midfield which caused us to get absolutely humped. 

We need to play three in midfield with Grealish being one of those. We also need to choose three from Abraham, Kodjia, el Ghazi and Bolasie. As you say I'm not sure Bolasie will be fit enough to start against Blackburn so it may well choose itself first time around. 

I think Grealish would have the discipline to come back and help out.  If it makes it better, just imagine a more orthodox 4-4-2 from the personnel above.  It mightn't work.  It might.  All I know is what we're doing at the moment isn't working, and I'd prefer to use more of the Premier League calibre elements of our squad and leave the Reliant Robins on the bench.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Plus if it doesn't work, and you end up being shite in defence anyway, why not just be really really good at the forwardy stuff?

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

All I know is what we're doing at the moment isn't working, and I'd prefer to use more of the Premier League calibre elements of our squad and leave the Reliant Robins on the bench.

Well said! :D

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think Grealish would have the discipline to come back and help out.  If it makes it better, just imagine a more orthodox 4-4-2 from the personnel above.  It mightn't work.  It might.  All I know is what we're doing at the moment isn't working, and I'd prefer to use more of the Premier League calibre elements of our squad and leave the Reliant Robins on the bench.

I was thinking about how Grealish could work in a 4 4 2 and I thought he'd need someone like Kante next to him who did the job of two people. Maybe McGinn is the Championship version I don't know. He clearly wasn't on Saturday but in fairness to him I don't think he was fit. 

Anyways I don't see it happening for the reasons I stated above. I think a front five of Abraham, Kodjia/El Ghazi, Bolaise, Grealish and McGinn should have plenty to cause most teams problems. Sure that up with a Jedinak/Whelan/Bjarnasson we might even win a game without trying crazy last 5 min type set ups. 

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

I was thinking about how Grealish could work in a 4 4 2 and I thought he'd need someone like Kante next to him who did the job of two people. Maybe McGinn is the Championship version I don't know. He clearly wasn't on Saturday but in fairness to him I don't think he was fit. 

Anyways I don't see it happening for the reasons I stated above. I think a front five of Abraham, Kodjia/El Ghazi, Bolaise, Grealish and McGinn should have plenty to cause most teams problems. Sure that up with a Jedinak/Whelan/Bjarnasson we might even win a game without trying crazy last 5 min type set ups. 

Oh I never said I saw it happening.  In fact I said it wouldn't.  Because Steve Bruce :) 

Blackburn have been promoted and done quite well since coming up.  Last weekend was their first defeat and they sit happily in midtable.  Their home defence (2 goals conceded) being their strong point to date.

They've used a 4-2-3-1 in every league game so far this season.  Smallwood and Evans sitting in front of the defence with Graham or Nuttall leading the line with Bennett, Rothwell & Armstrong in support.

So far they've out-possessed Millwall (59%), Bristol (51%) & Reading (61%) and been out-possessed by Ipswich (56%), Brentford (60%) & Hull (56%).

Interestingly, if we take Bristol as the blueprint to beat them, the Titties lined up in an orthodox 4-4-2 (according to the soccerway graphic anyhoo).

290eeb35d756348ff47adbc987745d8d.png

• Like 1

I think if we want to play both Kodjia and Abraham up front then we'd need to dispense with the wingers and go with a 4-1-3-2 maybe adding Hourihane into the middle - that might work for us. We could try the 4-1-2-1-2 that the reserves played the other day, but it puts a lot of responsibility on our full backs and whilst Hutton loves responsibility, Elmo hates it. I can't see it happening either way, we've gone out and got some exciting wingers and I don't think we'll be dropping them any time soon.

A 4-4-2 for me would need to include the unthinkable, we'd need two disciplined sitters to win the ball and protect the back four.

El Ghazi---Whelan---Jedinak----Bolasie.

No.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we want to play both Kodjia and Abraham up front then we'd need to dispense with the wingers and go with a 4-1-3-2 maybe adding Hourihane into the middle - that might work for us. We could try the 4-1-2-1-2 that the reserves played the other day, but it puts a lot of responsibility on our full backs and whilst Hutton loves responsibility, Elmo hates it. I can't see it happening either way, we've gone out and got some exciting wingers and I don't think we'll be dropping them any time soon.

A 4-4-2 for me would need to include the unthinkable, we'd need two disciplined sitters to win the ball and protect the back four.

El Ghazi---Whelan---Jedinak----Bolasie.

No.

I agree with this OBE... I think what we've seen from recent 'second string showings' is that we lack depth away from our basic first eleven to thirteen. The signings we have made have addressed this to some extent, certainly UP the pitch. We should start to see to quality on the bench that can actually come on and try to change a game if we need it. That reduces the burden on the same old suspects. I could of course be talking complete guff, who knows what the manager is going to do. He could go all out Lambert and fill the 'D' with four forwards.

On 05/09/2018 at 12:42, BOF said:

I think Grealish would have the discipline to come back and help out.  If it makes it better, just imagine a more orthodox 4-4-2 from the personnel above.  It mightn't work.  It might. 

I don;t think we could play Grealish and McGinn in a midfield two. We'd be over run and our abysmal back four would have no protection.