Christian Purslow

villan-scott

I’ve watched it. I thought he seemed a little flatter than normal. I wonder quite how disappointed he and NSWE actually were and whether Dean’s job ever was in jeopardy. 
He’s adamant it will only be a couple of “smart” signings. I think some people on the transfer thread may be v disappointed. 

His obvious joy is around the academy achievements. Good news that we will be able to buy a Villatv season pass to watch them. Think I will if it’s not extortionate.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Season tickets on sale next week I presume they are confident Villa Park will be back to 100% capacity by August.

What's, when, how, take my money 

36 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think that means first team players. We still clearly need some more depth. At the very minimum another Cb and Lb. And could do with a rb if guilbert goes.

Look at last summer we essentially signed 5 first 11 players in watkins, traore, cash, martinez and Barkley (ugh). Ideally this summer we sign a LW a DM and we could do with an upgrade in the right as well (so that's 3 first tamers) then plus the depth that totals 6 players but 90% of the budget will be on that first 11 talent. 

I think you're going to be disappointed if you're hoping for/expecting 6 signings. Even if you think 3 of those will only cost ~10m between them.

They signed 4 last season, and brought one on loan after the season started. I don't see them buying more than 4 this time around  with the FFP limitations being at least as strict as they were last year, if not more so. Based on his comments,  I am now expecting no more than 3, and would be disappointed if we went down the route of quantity over quality anyway.

Purslow is a very cool customer. I love the fact that he is at the helm of our great club, wonderfully backed by superb owners. I have watched his interview. He again stated how ambitious our owners are. He also said that our transfer plans were well defined and in progress and were designed to improve the first team and the squad. He then deliberately made some vague comments, entirely purposely not wanting to reveal any further detail.

I suspect we will be looking for 2/3 starters plus a couple of squad players. The budget will be around £100m. Purely speculation on my part but that’s where I got to reading between the lines.

He has the countenance of a guy who looks through and beyond you when he talks to you. Sort of like a girlfriends father who you've just met and he's not decided that he approves.

Dan Bardell was mentioning on the VillaView that Purslow and the owners should get credit for their focus on youth and facilities in the background that things like the FA Youth Cup are the first fruits of their long term work. I thought it was a good observation, Purslow seems like he is doing a very good job so far.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Dan Bardell was mentioning on the VillaView that Purslow and the owners should get credit for their focus on youth and facilities in the background that things like the FA Youth Cup are the first fruits of their long term work. I thought it was a good observation, Purslow seems like he is doing a very good job so far.

yep - they promised to invest in the youth team and no one can argue they've not delivered

• Like 1

16 hours ago, useless said:

Dean Smith himself has said numerous times that he's disappointed with the second half of the season never mind Purslow.

I think we all are really, the difference has been some people realising why it happened (I'd include Smith and Purslow in that) and some people calling Smith a shit manager and throwing their toys out the pram and demanding european football or the manager's head...

Purslow and Smith know exactly what they are doing, they will have analysed the reasons for the big dip in form. They will know that whilst we were flying we used the fewest number of players in the whole league I would think and how it would be a miracle to play 14 players over the course of a season and be getting top level performance twice a week doing it.

• Like 3

Just watched his end of season interview and once again I am very impressed by what he has to say. Having had so many well-spoken but ultimately useless CEOs I assumed Purslow would be just another corporate type, but it is such a pleasure to have someone in charge who truly understands what makes Villa special, and owners who are willing to back him.

I think they have clearly hit on a more sustainable business model by trying to bring through good young players into the first team, obviously there is a long way to go before that will pay dividends, but it does make us fans feel more comfortable that the club is in good hands. 

I have been really impressed with Purslow so far and I get the feeling this is a club that has already been on the rise and is going to continue its progress back towards fighting for European places and hopefully some domestic silverware. 

The thing for me is.....They all seem to be on the same page, whilst having slightly different remits....thats encouraging to me.

• Like 1

Â