Christian Purslow

villan-scott

I thought way too much was made of the Smith contract. The way I saw it was the guy was getting rewarding for getting us promoted and was being  paid a Premier league manager salary along with some protection had it not worked out.

If they made the decision to sack him I doubt the few extra million compensation they would have to pay would have got in the way. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I had serious, serious doubts over his competence and foresight when he gave Dean a new contract towards the start of the last season. Who do I speak to so I can collect my bellend of the year award? 

A lot of us thought he should have been sacked in that period before lockdown.

Christian Purslow reveals Aston Villa losing £1million a game without fans

Chief executive Christian Purslow has revealed Villa will make a £20million loss in revenue if they play the whole season without fans.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2021/01/04/christian-purslow-reveals-aston-villa-losing-1million-a-game-without-fans/

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

1 million is a lit but could imagine teams like Spurs/Arsenal losing a lot more 

Article says around £4m-£5m. And not sure that is CL & EL games included

On 04/01/2021 at 16:37, Zatman said:

1 million is a lit but could imagine teams like Spurs/Arsenal losing a lot more 

Arsenal or Spurs losing £80m revenue will mean they ‘only’ have another £300 million to spend on transfers and wages.

Meanwhile Villa losing £20 million probably takes our revenue and therefore our total spending down to £120m.

So they can still spend almost 3x what we can spend each season.

Purslow has to find a way to close that gap or we will hit that famous glass ceiling soon enough.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Meanwhile Villa losing £20 million probably takes our revenue and therefore our total spending down to £120m.

It'll be interesting to see what our revenues are at the next accounts - I reckon in a full, normal season we'd have been on for £200m. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Arsenal or Spurs losing £80m revenue will mean they ‘only’ have another £300 million to spend on transfers and wages.

So they can still spend almost 3x what we can spend each season.

Purslow has to find a way to close that gap or we will hit that famous glass ceiling soon enough.

If we finish 10th then the increase in prize money from the TV deal compared to last season would be around £20m. Television revenue for broadcast matches will also be up.

So if we finish 10th or higher we should balance out what we’ve lost in gate receipts.

In terms of closing the gap, they were making progress. Over subscribed on season tickets, waiting lists and memberships being the first step. Once demand out strips supply of tickets they can look to raise the ticket price.

Too many people assume they will extend VP but I don’t think they will until they raise the income from the existing ticket revenue first. It doesn’t make economics sense to do anything else.

Commercial deals are improving but will ultimately be driven by team performance.

So for the time being we are limited to what our owners can invest and sustained PL revenue over 3-5 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

If we finish 10th then the increase in prize money from the TV deal compared to last season would be around £20m. Television revenue for broadcast matches will also be up.

So if we finish 10th or higher we should balance out what we’ve lost in gate receipts.

In terms of closing the gap, they were making progress. Over subscribed on season tickets, waiting lists and memberships being the first step. Once demand out strips supply of tickets they can look to raise the ticket price.

Too many people assume they will extend VP but I don’t think they will until they raise the income from the existing ticket revenue first. It doesn’t make economics sense to do anything else.

Commercial deals are improving but will ultimately be driven by team performance.

So for the time being we are limited to what our owners can invest and sustained PL revenue over 3-5 years.

Personally I have always thought regular match day revenue is less important that selling the club to sponsors, corporate and merchandising by having an ever increasing stadium size which is filled.

Perhaps it isn't an either or just something that I have always felt the Germans got right with their big stadiums and cheap tickets.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Personally I have always thought regular match day revenue is less important that selling the club to sponsors, corporate and merchandising by having an ever increasing stadium size which is filled.

Perhaps it isn't an either or just something that I have always felt the Germans got right with their big stadiums and cheap tickets.

I agree a full and vibrant stadium is a big plus in so many ways. I’m sure there are stats which break down the income generated per person at the game and not just ticket money. Increasing ticket prices will to some extent be counter productive. Convincing someone to come to a game when the headline price is at the edge of affordability is a risky strategy and doesn’t feel like the right thing to do. I think us and Liverpool have traditionally had the lowest season ticket prices. We’re not based in London where about 8 times more people than Birmingham live plus a constant flow of tourists. 

Someone needs to perhaps take a different view of fans and their importance at grounds. The money men at clubs like Man U will care only about revenue and will do everything to exploit income generated away from the stadium. They already have massive gate receipts but income from TV around the world is almost limitless. They would love to step away from a PL TV deal and have their own deal which would distort the playing field even more in their favour. 

Continued progress on the pitch is obviously vital for any club but I believe as a club we had always leaned towards the community and feel, like you, that the German model is the way ahead. A packed Villa Park is a wonderful thing, if we can do that for every game, regardless of the opposition, surely that has massive benefits both on the pitch and the balance sheet. 

I think, along with this, we need to look at pricing for merchandise also. Football shirts continue to be ridiculously priced for the average person, especially if they’ve got a couple of kids to kit out. About £50 for a poor quality garment which is probably worth about a fiver if it didn’t have a football badge on it. I’m sure shirt sponsorship deals are a complex story, but surely we need to take control of our own merchandise. One of our owners particularly has the inside knowledge and influence that may be able to change the way we approach this. I’m sure many other clubs will then be forced to follow, but AVFC will then be remembered as the club that made football fan friendly. That fact if played right is also money in the bank. 

It’s a modern, cynical, money orientated world but that doesn’t mean we can’t do things right and still be successful. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

If we continue to push and keep Grealish our next kit deal could dwarf Kappa.  Kappa was signed when we were actually still in the Championship and whilst I'm sure it had promotion clauses it nevertheless wouldn't be a top half Premier league deal. 

And by then I'm certain Grealish will be a bona fide superstar also adding to our profile. 

Same with Cazoo.  I'm sure we will eclipse that. 

Hopefully corporate will be full to bursting when we re-open with a clamour to watch Jack and the rest do their stuff toe to toe with the sky 6. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Well maybe but Birmingham is hardly London. I think unemployment rate is nearly 10% already. I don't think its going to be a good look for clubs to introduce swingeing  ticket price increases when the great unwashed are allowed back in next season.

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

It simply doesn’t mate commercial sense to commit capital expenditure to ground expansion and charge low ticket prices. Fans won’t want to hear it but ticket prices will go up before ground expansions are even considered, it’s simple supply and demand economics.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Well maybe but Birmingham is hardly London. I think unemployment rate is nearly 10% already. I don't think its going to be a good look for clubs to introduce swingeing  ticket price increases when the great unwashed are allowed back in next season.

I didn’t put any time scale on it, just pointing out that it will happen before any ground expansion.

Â