Christian Purslow

villan-scott

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He may be a short guy but he seems like a very powerful character. I wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of him. 

Would have loved to seen his first meeting with Bruce. Would have been interesting. 

He seems to be what all good leaders are.....decisive.

The most encouraging thing is they both look like they have the same vision going forward.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

The most encouraging thing is they both look like they have the same vision going forward.

Funnily enough, he talks in the interview about how people exaggerate the importance of being "decisive".

His philosophy is to think decisions through carefully, take time over it, have a plan B, etc. and he says Dean Smith shares that philosophy. I think you could feel how calm they remained even through the bad spell during Jack's injury.

This bodes well this summer in the transfer market, where I think his approach will help us avoid what happened to Fulham.

I might even have a cheeky bet on Villa to finish top 10 at 11/2.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Funnily enough, he talks in the interview about how people exaggerate the importance of being "decisive".

His philosophy is to think decisions through carefully, take time over it, have a plan B, etc. and he says Dean Smith shares that philosophy. I think you could feel how calm they remained even through the bad spell during Jack's injury.

This bodes well this summer in the transfer market, where I think his approach will help us avoid what happened to Fulham.

I think we are slightly at cross purposes in our interpretation of "Decisive"

I am all for quality information preparing for a decision, and I am equally sceptical of being decisive for the sake of it and having scant regard for that decision, being well thought through.

I am on the same page as him, maybe it didn't come across as such.....maybe i should have said "he seems very sure of his decisions"

I have decided to leave it.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are slightly at cross purposes in our interpretation of "Decisive"

I am all for quality information preparing for a decision, and I am equally sceptical of being decisive for the sake of it and having scant regard for that decision, being well thought through.

I am on the same page as him, maybe it didn't come across as such.....maybe i should have said "he seems very sure of his decisions"

I have decided to leave it.

Haha I wasn't nitpicking, just adding to what you'd said because he directly addressed this in the interview! Yes, he brings a lot of good sense and clarity to the role.

• Like 1

One thing I like about his interview is that he understands football and even talks sense about the game which some executives arent. He might be a numbers guy but he seems to have common sense about on the field stuff so I think he wouldnt be into snap decisions like when people wanted sack Smith about January

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing I like about his interview is that he understands football and even talks sense about the game which some executives arent. He might be a numbers guy but he seems to have common sense about on the field stuff so I think he wouldnt be into snap decisions like when people wanted sack Smith about January

Seems like a guy who can detach himself from emotion in a split second which is what you need from someone in his position. Almost Levy like , but without the being a prick bit.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

His Cambridge degree was in medieval languages which must have helped a hell of a lot in interpreting Bruce's football philosophy. 

Or in understanding that Bruceball was indeed medieval 😁😁

On 29/05/2019 at 13:32, TRO said:

Most Liverpool fans will say the opposite and that was his main fault. Being total indecisive when dealing with player transfers.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Most Liverpool fans will say the opposite and that was his main fault. Being total indecisive when dealing with player transfers.

Because of course they were all intimently privvy to how it all worked and who did/said/was responsible for what. 

Ignore anything Liverpool fans say, their default position of hate/moan about everything that isn't winning a trophy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Because of course they were all intimently privvy to how it all worked and who did/said/was responsible for what. 

Ignore anything Liverpool fans say, their default position of hate/moan about everything that isn't winning a trophy. 

And even then they will probably moan about the way it was won. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Could be totally wrong but was he involved with the Barry saga? They messed up big time there by being indecisive 

Even if Purslow is a complete disaster, he will go down as a legend in my book for his immortal words 'We are Aston Villa . We do parades when we win cups and leagues - not for finishing 3rd place in the championship'. The only thing missing off the end of that sentence was 'that's the type of thing Small Heath would do.'

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Could be totally wrong but was he involved with the Barry saga? They messed up big time there by being indecisive 

Nah, before his time.

His time at Liverpool was messy, he voted for the sale of the club away from Hicks and Gillett to John Henry and all sorts of legal action ensued as they didn't take kindly to it. My understanding is they wanted more money, Purslow wanted to sell to the right person for the sake of the club. 

Weird thing is, Liverpool fans HATED Hicks and Gillett and he was essentially assigned in order to facilitate a sale. Obviously Liverpool have since become very successful under Henry, so I don't really understand their beef. But yanno, Liverpool gonna Liverpool. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nah, before his time.

His time at Liverpool was messy, he voted for the sale of the club away from Hicks and Gillett to John Henry and all sorts of legal action ensued as they didn't take kindly to it. My understanding is they wanted more money, Purslow wanted to sell to the right person for the sake of the club. 

Weird thing is, Liverpool fans HATED Hicks and Gillett and he was essentially assigned in order to facilitate a sale. Obviously Liverpool have since become very successful under Henry, so I don't really understand their beef. But yanno, Liverpool gonna Liverpool. 

They do like Puslow there though, give him the credit for stopping the rot and turning it around. Just didn’t like him dithering in transfers. 

On 30/05/2019 at 02:56, KentVillan said:

I don't think top 10 is unachievable at all. 

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

They do like Puslow there though, give him the credit for stopping the rot and turning it around. Just didn’t like him dithering in transfers. 

some say dithering, some say due diligence, depends how you look at it.

I find it strange that a whole football fanbase( Liverpool) has a unified opinion on him.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

some say dithering, some say due diligence, depends how you look at it.

I find it strange that a whole football fanbase( Liverpool) has a unified opinion on him.

They hate him because he sacked their precious fat waiter

Â