Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Purslow will be around for a good while yet. I suspect the intention is to build the club over the medium term, from say £60m valuation to £1b. If they are aggressive enough once we steady the ship and consolidate, we could be there in 7years. I fully expect this club to challenge the top six in 4 years. This next 12-18 months is the hardest, we have so much to do to build a solid sustainable platform, and Dean needs to step up too, it’s a challenge to all.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Our slow will be around for a good while yet. I suspect the intention is to build the club over the medium term, from say £60m valuation to £1b. If they are aggressive enough once we steady the ship and consolidate, we could be there in 7years. I fully expect this club to challenge the top six in 4 years. This next 12-18 months is the hardest, we have so much to do to build a solid sustainable platform, and Dean needs to step up too, it’s a challenge to all.

There is not a huge gap in  quality from the top 6 in the championship to the bottom 8 in the championship - I’d expect us to be around mid table next season and kick on from there - I certainly don’t feel we will be in a relegation fight - purslow has a plan to build going forwards and I’d back him to succeed 

Edited by Eastie

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

There is not a huge gap in  quality from the top 6 in the championship to the bottom 8 in the championship - I’d expect us to be around mid table next season and kick on from there - I certainly don’t feel we will be in a relegation fight - purslow has a plan to build going forwards and I’d back him to succeed 

Problem is that everyone except the top 8 is in the relegation fight until the last 5/6 games. The margins are often so small, a few dodgy ref calls and injuries could do it. 

If someone offered me 45 points next season I'd take it now and that will be a solid platform for next season to really push on!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Mate as it stands we will finish rock bottom in my opinion. So many players need to be signed. 

Purslow will be a busy man.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mate as it stands we will finish rock bottom in my opinion. So many players need to be signed. 

Agree a lot of higher quality players need to be signed for us to compete.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yes, it’s important to temper expectation. To expect mid table next season is ludicrous. If we achieve it, wow! But to expect it will lead to ruin. Need to take games in isolation and build from there. If we’re scrapping come December there needn’t be a clamour for Smith’s head. To end up appointing ‘safe hands’ (Alladyce etc.). He deserves the season for sure. Need to remain behind the team to the last. Of course easier said than done. Easy to support when you’re riding a crest of a promotion wave. Not so when you’re losing, only have to look back to February/March. It’s so fickle. I’m so fickle. As long as the whole club has given their damnedest I’d like to think I’d be content wherever we finish next season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Purslow will be around for a good while yet. I suspect the intention is to build the club over the medium term, from say £60m valuation to £1b. If they are aggressive enough once we steady the ship and consolidate, we could be there in 7years. I fully expect this club to challenge the top six in 4 years. This next 12-18 months is the hardest, we have so much to do to build a solid sustainable platform, and Dean needs to step up too, it’s a challenge to all.

I got downvoted hard on r/soccer because I suggested that it's very possible we could be challenging for the top 4 within 5 years because we have ambitious owners, an underrated manager, and a growing scouting network with a lot of potential.  "If it was that easy, why haven't other teams done that?!?!?!?!"  Never said it would be easy, but there is something special going on at Villa Park...  You can feel it...  I don't know what it is, but I think we've just witnessed the start of an incredible period in Villa's history.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

It depends whether he prefers a challenge or money. At Villa there is so much work to do to become competitive. I imagine building something here would be incredibly rewarding. With the largest clubs,everything is already in place and it is more about squeezing the extra 1%.

Potential for Villa is massive though. Existing fan base + growth. No disrespect to them but clubs like Brighton , Bournemouth and Burnley - their status are regional clubs really. We aren't coming up off a low base. We've a fantastic stadium and training facility. Recruitment though must be top drawer.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As an obsessive FPL manager I can tell you there are some bang average sides

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Really interesting to see who he has got to sponsor us next season. Would we have had 2 deals lined, depending on which league we were due to be in. 

We done with 32red? Hope so anyway. Hate betting companies on jerseys.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I got downvoted hard on r/soccer because I suggested that it's very possible we could be challenging for the top 4 within 5 years

It’s possible, but almost near impossible.  

Even Man Utd are struggling to break into the top 4 and they have spending power that dwarfs us plus a great base of a team.

We would have to overtake Arsenal and Man Utd to get anywhere near that top 4.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It’s possible, but almost near impossible.  

Even Man Utd are struggling to break into the top 4 and they have spending power that dwarfs us plus a great base of a team.

We would have to overtake Arsenal and Man Utd to get anywhere near that top 4.

They've also gone through a revolving door of managers and are left with an overpaid squad of players who have attitude problems and aren't good enough to be Champions.  Look at how many ex-Manure legends have come out of the woodwork to slam the players after the Ole honeymoon wore off.  Mourinho was right--finishing second with that squad was his magnum opus as a manager.

I'm not at the point where I am concerned about our CEO being poached by a Champions League club, however I am impressed by the way he has laid out our plans to push on. Not in a Tom Fox airy fairy kinda way, talking without actually talking, he comes across very calm and measured and less like the lizard in a human suit as when he first joined.

It seems we will be taking a baby steps approach, not going utterly mental as I feared we might but adding quality where we can, not trying to blow the competition away in our first season back but retaining continuity and approaching this new challenge in a very precise, patient and (hopefully) analytical way. It seems as though he has developed quite a decent working relationship with Smith as well, which helps matters. There's a bit of reading between the lines there on my behalf and the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but you can certainly tell why they hired him. 

Do I trust him yet? No. Do I want to though? Yes. It's a good start and so far the results are speaking for themselves. 

• Like 2

Don’t forget Spurs were about on a level with us during the MON period, slightly above but not by much. They sold Bale but spunked the money, their success has actually come from shrewd scouting and buying, player development and very good management, not the super star model of MU, MC, Chelsea. Arsenal have had a solid squad and added two carefully scouted players each season, not by over paying. Liverpool have spent big recently but up until Klopp arrived, they were very hit and miss. 

We just need to be sensible and lay the foundations in promising younger players playing in a common team ethic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I got downvoted hard on r/soccer because I suggested that it's very possible we could be challenging for the top 4 within 5 years because we have ambitious owners, an underrated manager, and a growing scouting network with a lot of potential.  "If it was that easy, why haven't other teams done that?!?!?!?!"  Never said it would be easy, but there is something special going on at Villa Park...  You can feel it...  I don't know what it is, but I think we've just witnessed the start of an incredible period in Villa's history.

We've struggled to beat West Brom over two legs, and beaten Derby by a single goal. We didn't even manage a top 4 finish in the Championship.

I do agree with you that everything is pointing in the right direction, but the Premier League has lots of clubs pointing in the right direction at the moment. City, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester and Wolves are all very well run, and United, Chelsea and Arsenal will always have the money to challenge for Champions League places. You also can't discount Everton and West Ham.

But we are fundamentally a bigger club, in terms of potential, than all the teams that finished in the bottom 10 last year, so we should realistically be aiming for top 10 in the next 2-3 years, and then see if we can kick on from there.

Â